“making Fort Lauderdale fun and friendly” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tropi Rock Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Tropi Rock Resort
Ranked #90 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Managua
“making Fort Lauderdale fun and friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

My first disclaimer: I have gone to Fort Lauderdale several times for meetings at the Convention Center. Up until now I dreaded going there.

This hotel is definitely off the beaten path, at least for business travelers. It's further north in Fort Lauderdale beach, and doesn't look like much from the outside. However- the location turns out to be great, and you can't beat the price or the service. I was met at the door, after midnight, by the owner, Mick, who had been expecting me and gave me a warm welcome and a "what you need to know for tonight" fast check-in. There was a huge friendly white dog in the "lobby" - yes, I'm a pet lover. The hotel was quiet. While there, I met a lot of nice people, including a number of multiple-repeat return customers. It was close enough that I actually got to take a couple of nice walks on the beach- believe it or not a number of times when I was in FLL for a convention I never even saw the ocean. Lots of restaurants and shops nearby too! I had a car- but you could do it without one if desired. Mick was usually around, was ALWAYS friendly and helpful - helping me to answer some questions I had even to the point of looking things up on the internet for me! Oh- and he prides himself on his "no extra charges" policy!

Hotel has no restaurant and pretty much no food available. The gym was nice considering the size of the hotel. The pool was appealing and heated but I didn't have time really to take advantage of it. Maybe next trip! Oh- and the WiFi worked impeccably every time, though I have to say the one time I tried it would not support a Skype call.

This hotel makes me want to go back to Fort Lauderdale for another meeting...

Room Tip: I heard from one of the other guests that they have efficiency apartments- I didn't know that, a...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank ExPatinNica
Info1000, Owner at Tropi Rock Resort, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
ExPatinNica,
To say that the Tropirock made Ft. Lauderdale fun & friendly for you is one of sthe nicest compliments we've had. Thank you so much. We want all of our guests to enjoy themselves. In face, the mission statement for North Beach Village is "to create an area where locals and visitors can experience love and happiness." It's that simple, and we hope you always feel welcome at the Tropirock but in the entire North Beach Area. You certainly are! Thanks again. NBV

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Excellent small hotel. Different - palm trees line the pool, pantile roofs, tinkling fountains, and a great host in Mick.
Phoned on the off-chance of staying the day before and Mick was so accommodating and sorted a room for us. Room very nice with large fan. One block from the beach, easy parking, coffee on the go - sort of like an hotel in a small French or Spanish resort in Europe.
Recommended

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Halfmarathons
Info1000, Owner at Tropi Rock Resort, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Halfmarathon,
We're pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the TropiRock. If it's possible, Mick will make it happen. Whether it's a last minute reservation, a need for beach equipment or just good conversation, Mick is there for the guests! Thanks so much for your review!
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

We have stayed at this little gem probably 8 or 9 times and have always had a good experience. Whether or not you enjoy your stay probably depends on your expectations about this hotel, as it has both pros and cons. In my opinion, the pros far outweigh the cons and make this an ideal spot to stay on Fort Lauderdale Beach. Pros: 1) The location is absolutely fantastic. It is a short 3 minute walk to Ft Lauderdale's beautiful pristine beach and is walking distance to many of the shops/restaurants on the strip. It is also only a short drive to Los Olas Blvd and Sunrise Blvd, where there are more fab restaurants, shopping, nightlife, etc. Very centrally located. 2) The manager, Mick, is extremely friendly and accommodating. He is a genuinely nice guy and apparently loves his work. 3) This is one of the most affordable little hotels with such close proximity to the beach. Really, the prices can't be beat. 4) The rooms are a good size and are always clean. 5) The grounds are attractive with a pool, various seating areas, and some lush greens. 6) Free Wi-Fi and parking. I was shocked at how many of the hotels are now charging for parking. Not here. You can still park your car for free! Now for the cons: 1) It is an older hotel and some of the amenities are reflective of that fact. 2) The elevator in particular is old and lumbering, but, hey, the hotel is only three stories! I have often stayed on the third floor and never even use the elevator except for the initial trip up with the bags and the one down on the way out. I actually prefer to use the stairs. 3) The decorations in the rooms are a little cheesy, but I don't mind them and I don't come to Fort Lauderdale to be surrounded by luxury. I come for the beach and the weather! 4) The air conditioner can be rather loud. 5) The bathrooms haven't been updated in while. Overall, I think the pros far, far outweigh any small cons. This is an excellent place to stay with great location, a friendly manager, and a truly affordable price tag. If you want more luxurious surroundings, there are plenty of options - at four times the price!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FloridaXPat
Info1000, Owner at Tropi Rock Resort, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
FloridaXPat,
We love hearing from returning guests. Thanks so much for making the TropiRock your stay of choice when in Ft. Lauderdale. We agree with you, this resort has far more pros than cons. We care about keeping a well-maintained hotel and renovations are soon to come, but we pride ourselves on the friendly service guests can expect at North Beach Village. We're looking forward to your next visit. You are always welcome!
Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

Needed a one night stay after a cruise. Loved the location. Mick is an excellent host. Beautifully redone, well thought out grounds and artisitic custom decor in every room - one of the best makeovers of an old hotel I have ever seen. The age of the hotels and overcoming that were probably my basis and main area of concerns for feeling it was a bit expensive - not as good a value as I hoped. I would have felt better paying under $100 a night, however, I did pick this as one of the least expensive hotels in this area which seems pretty pricey in January. I did stay for almost the same price in Miami, the week before, at a very very nicely furnished Comfort Suites where everything was perfect, but it was not on or near the beach for about the exact same total I paid at Tropi Rock. Based on that I felt Tropi Rock was not as good of a value. We enjoyed the grounds a bit and the room decor. I had a little trouble finding outlets that weren't being used for my computer - older rooms - fewer outlets. The internet service was very good. The relatively new and modern tile floors seemed very clean but when I went to shower in the morning, the black footprints my felt left on the freshly damp tub floor were as black as any I have ever sen at any hotel. A difficult place to clean rapidly and see all the hairs - behind the bathroom door a large long fair had stuck to the wall during mopping and another hair was on the floor below it. We try to be considerate and not over use utilities but the sink was very hard to force completely off - not trickle. The hot water took a very long time to warm in the evening and next morning.

This is a beautiful, artistic, quirky little boutique hotel and it is easy to find it likable. You should expect some minor inconvenience due to it's age and compared to my other stay at Miami I felt it was not as good a value. Good values are hard to find in Miami/Ft Lauderdale in January and lots of hotels seem to be in scary, unsafe neighborhoods or very poor service and quality. You will be staying in a nice neighborhood, near the beach, great hosts, and fell safe and homey at Tropi Rock. I did pick it based on those qualities and it turned out to be a resonably good choice.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Richard M
Info1000, Owner at Tropi Rock Resort, responded to this review, 4 February 2012
For2une,
Thanks for staying at the TropiRock. We're glad you enjoyed the artistic custom decor that makes the resort so unique. You are right, accomodations in Ft. Lauderdale can get pricey. The TropiRock offers some of lowest rates in the area, especially considering the location-just a 3 minute walk from the beach. We hope you will visit us again soon, you are always very welcome!
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

Enjoyed our stay here! The proprietor Mick was very friendly and gave us good advice on where to go for food. It was a bit of a walk to the main strip. The pool was surrounded by greenery which made it like an oasis!

The rooms are quite basic but met your needs.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EssexSeasider
Info1000, Owner at Tropi Rock Resort, responded to this review, 4 February 2012
EssexSeasider,
We're pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Thanks so much for choosing the TropiRock. You'll be glad to know that the next time you come you won't have to walk too far to the main strip to get food. The Plaza, an outdoor bistro area where guests can enjoy good food, refreshing cocktails and a vibrant social scene, is close to opening, and it's right nextdoor to the TropiRock. We hope to see you there!