“Disappointing customer service. Not a good value.”
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

W Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #26 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Missouri
“Disappointing customer service. Not a good value.”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stayed at the W for one night pre-cruise. Our stay began with a weird exchange with the woman at the front desk. Due to the fact I had a spa treatment at Bliss booked until noon, I asked for a one hour late checkout. My request was met with hesitation at first, and then with, "Since you are booked at Bliss, that can probably be accommodated." I asked, "what do I need to do to get that secured?" Answer: "Just come back to the front desk." Me: "Who should I ask for?" Front Desk lady: "Uh, You can ask for me." Me: "Why do I have to make a special trip back down, then. Can't you do it now?" Her: "Umm, O.K. I guess I can." What the heck??? That whole exchange left a bad taste for our first few minutes in the hotel. I wish I could remember her name, but she had below shoulder-length brown curly hair. The room was a little disappointing as compared with other W rooms. For the price of a corner room, I was expecting bigger, nicer, more luxurious. No cushions on the outdoor furniture. Also, the outdoor furniture was very low and crammed into a tiny balcony. The combination tub/shower was outdated, and I won't comment further on the glass wall, except to say that parents with kids -- beware! However, the Bliss amenities were quite nice and I have no other complaints about the room. We ate in the main hotel restaurant on the first floor and it was awesome. I think that the restaurant must be under different management than the hotel, because the level of service was a number of notches higher than in the main hotel. Before dinner, we tried to have a drink in the bar near the lobby and no one would wait on us. My husband finally went to the bar, and the bartender tried to get a server. Frankly, couldn't he have waited on us himself if there were no servers? After no one showed up for ten minutes, we gave up. We were the ONLY ONES sitting in the bar area.

The best part of the visit (other than our meal) was the complementary Acura ride to the cruise port. Easy to book, and very enjoyable!

OK -- I have to say that based on what we experienced, this particular W must have a management problem. I get the impression that staff doesn't care about "Whatever, Whenever." Staff was not up to par with other W's, much less other hotels in this price category. The management here ought to visit the Four Seasons (which I just booked in Miami for $100 less than my W nightly rate) to get an idea of customer service.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank OurLakeHouse
OurLakeHouse,

Thank you taking time to share your feedback. While it’s disappointing to hear of some of the troubles you faced during your stay, we are very happy that you were able to enjoy Steak 954 and the complimentary Acura Service. We will be sure to address your concerns with our team in hopes of improving your future stays. Upon your next visit, please feel free to request a room with privacy shutters for the WC and our team will certainly do our best accommodate.

Safe travels,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,179)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 22 February 2012

The mark of a good hotel is the level of service, and this particular W falls short. Their catch phrase is "whatever, whenever" but that is simply not the case! We were left on hold for ages when calling reception, room service, and the valet. Also, room service took one hour and 40 minutes. The rooms were strange. The shower was glass and in the middle of the room. Also, the toilet was behind obscured glass. Personally, I think anything I do in the bathroom is my business, and I don't need my husband to see it! Also, the super-sleek decor was not practical. The bathroom had inadequate counter space and the towel rack was a knee-level. They thought of a make-up mirror, but not enough light to actually apply make-up. Male designer, I guess!

The good part was that the beds were super comfortable and the Bliss products are really nice. Also, the proximity to the beach was handy.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank sfs1966
Sfs1966,

We appreciate your feedback. Upon future stays, please feel free to request a room with a privacy shutter and our team will certainly do its best to accommodate – we understand your preference and offer rooms that may better appeal to your likings. And while some of our décor may not suit everyone’s tastes, we are happy that you enjoyed the Signature W Bed and bliss products.

We hope to welcome you back soon,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Very nice hotel with a great location. Service was fantastic and I would highly recommend eating at the hotel restaurants... Great time

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank steve s
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Well, I've spent the last 10 days at the W hotel in sunny Fort Lauderdale, Florida. So far I can report that the service has been outstanding and the room has been amazing. Not with out saying that Steak 954 is outragious, Located right on A1A and across the street from the powder white beaches offered in Florida. A most visit to treat yourself and a romantic destination. Unfortunately, I am here on business and have only enjoyed the spectacular sunrise that this location provides. Located just moments to a vibrant Las Olas Blvd, where you can find great food and fantastic night atmosphere. That's all I have. Hope it helps you on your travels. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank tvazquez22
Tvazquez22,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay. Whether its business or a getaway, I'm glad you were provided with outstanding service and a comfortable experience that met your expectations. Fort Lauderdale is a beautiful city and we do hope you have time to explore a bit more next time you visit.

All the best,
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed here for new years eve and new years and had a great time. The room was beautiful and the ambience is what really made me enjoy my stay here.
I was able to take advantage of the W vehicle to visit a nearby restaurant that was referred by one of the staff members. There is also a great upscale lounge and club located inside which I enjoyed.
The service was a little slow when it came to ordering whatever whenever I wanted.
But overall the location and the cleanliness of the hotel was great.

• Stayed January 2012
CLSeries,

Thank you for ringing in the New Year with us. What a way to celebrate! We hope to see you again soon!

All the best,