“Excellent renaissance/hardworking staff”

Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel
Ranked #34 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 February 2015 via mobile

Arrived mid-afternoon to find Alexandro as only Bellman and excellent Debra as only desk agent/switchboard operator/room service order taker. Alexandro had our bags to the room before we got there and Debra clued us in to bargain cruise ship parking and very convenient shuttle bus service which worked flawlessly in both directions. They both could use extra help at front desk and front door. Folks complain about overnight parking but in my experience most marriotts and renaissance hotels do charge (not that its not obnoxious you understand.)

Good reliable premium hotel . Biggest complaint is lousy tv reception with lots of digital static but this evening we're at the Marriott south beach stanton which has exactly the same tv issues. What's up with that?

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,218)

Reviewed 24 February 2015

I have stayed at this Renaissance three or four times. The service is always top notch. The rooms have been updated recently and they have a nice on-site restaurant, fitness center and breakfast lounge. Close to the Bimini Boatyard and several other great restaurants. Nice views of the water too. Look for great prices in the off season.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a water view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2015

First, the positives. This hotel is very, very convenient to FLL, the cruise ship terminals, and there is a large choice of restaurants within walking distance. A Walgreens is directly across the street, that was most convenient for myself, as I had forgotten a medication, and my Doctor phoned it in there, and it was quickly filled. It also has a limited selection of wines, if they are allowed on the ship. Publix (where I purchased our wine) and Total Wine 1/4 mile away. Decent pool and fitness area.
Now, the less desirable. I would guess that 75% of the rooms turn over on Saturday/Sunday, as there are people, such as us, who come here for one night prior/after a cruise. Busy, busy, busy, and the rooms tend to show that. The rooms are small, and not as upscale as I was expecting at a Renaissance. We've stayed at the Courtyard in Dania Beach, and the rooms are much nicer, for instance.
I suppose the fact that this is a hotel primarily for those going to/from a cruise, especially on weekends, I shouldn't have expected much more. I wouldn't use it for more than a quick one night stay in Fort Lauderdale, not as a destination resort.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family
Lori L, General Manager at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2015

Thank you for staying with us and for providing feedback regarding your experience. Our guestroom renovation project was completed in October of 2014 with a brand new look. We also renovated our pool, fitness center and several other areas of our hotel.

I am glad you were able to join us prior to your cruise – we do have many guests who enjoy our hotel prior to or after their cruising and find the location of our hotel perfect!

We hope to see you again when your travels bring you to Fort Lauderdale.

Lori

Reviewed 19 February 2015

This is a beautiful hotel that is conveniently located to several restaurants and not too far from the beach. The front desk staff was friendly. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Our only complaint was that there wasn't any complimentary coffee or cups. The bathroom extras were also forgotten. Attention to details needed by the head of housekeeping.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2015

I spent the week here for work and when the lock on my door malfunctioned, the front desk and engineering staff worked together seamlessly to get it fixed and minimize the disruption to me and my schedule. I'll be staying here on my return visits as well. Great location.

Room Tip: I had a corner room with two windows which let in a lot of natural light.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled on business