“Superior Customer Service”

The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #28 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 30 October 2017

I have traveled extensively and stayed at many Westin locations but I feel I need to point out that the staff at the Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale are exceptional! We had nothing but friendly and extremely responsive service during our entire stay. Claudia, in particular at the Sirens restaurant downstairs was an absolute delight.

Now there's the little matter of the steep resort fee, which is a little annoying as brands such as Westin should automatically offer the amenities that it says it includes without charging for them but that is a small gripe for what was a really great few days stay!!

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view - it's worth it
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Trish T
Write a ReviewReviews (3,652)

Reviewed 25 October 2017

Stayed here a few months ago with my friend for a little beach trip. Location was nice! The skywalk to the beach provides safe/easy access to the beach. The elevator is a bit slow though and it stops working at night so you end up having the cross the street. The hotel does not have designated chairs/umbrellas on the beach, but there is a gentleman that you can rent stuff from. The hotel does have some tommy bahama folding beach chairs that you can sign out when you pick up towels, but there is a limited supply and its first come first serve. The hotel doesn't have a ton of restaurant options, but its within walking distance to lots of other great places! The only parking option is valet and its a bit pricey. The hotel is a bit older and could definitely use some touchups, but overall it was just what we needed for our beach trip.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
nspivack, Manager at The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us. It was great to read how you enjoyed your stay overall, but definitely recognize there are some things that we can do to make it Excellent the next time around. Since your last stay we have begun including 2 beach chairs per day with our daily resort fee. We do hope to have you back again soon, and appreciate the review.

Reviewed 25 October 2017

A long weekend getaway with my 31 year old son. Have been to the property multiple times in the past and would not go elsewhere. The staff are polite, professional and friendly. They treat you like you are a valued customer. The room and ocean view were spectacular, again! Pool is very well maintained. Food is very good and proximity of the property to the center of town is only 1/4 mile walk along the ocean promenade. I have been there with my entire family but had a "guys" week away for the NY Jet's game this time. I highly recommend you give this property serious consideration. A special acknowledgement to Neal Spivack, the manager of the hotel. He is readily available and greets you like you are someone special. We will return again!!

Room Tip: Request Ocean View.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 October 2017

This hotel is directly in front of the beach. The sunrise view is AMAZING! The lobby has water always available to drink. The hotel has a couple bars and restaurants. Some are on the 2nd floor with open air seating, overlooking the beach with pool access feet away. Service was very good too. Bathroom is smaller than normal Westin, but clean and sufficient. Easy access to beach with it's own walkway over A1A where you can go for a swim, rest on the beach or run along the beach for exercise.

Room Tip: Higher view, the better...
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 October 2017

I went to this hotel almost 5 years ago. It used to be my best SPG hotel. However, things have changed so much except the building and the beach.
If you read it carefully, it will be beneficial to your future stay so you wont make the same mistakes as we did.

1. Billing issue (double charge with prepaid rate): I went the last week of September. I have paid the room with prepaid rate in August. However, I was charged again. I have emailed the hotel including the front desk manager but received no response. So, be careful if you use prepaid rate as the front desk may charge you again. If I don't hear back from this hotel, I will try again on SPG member hotline. I have a similar prepaid rate issue with other hotel in NYC but they resolved it much quicker.
2. SPG recognition: I did not receive an upgrade when I checked in with the front desk, but the staff that sent me the text message gave me an upgrade. I got text message from the hotel couple hours before I checked. I finally did get an upgrade, however, I had to showed them the text message and asked for it. Compared to 5 years ago, we just got upgraded without asking or proving anything.
3. The Shula restaurant was gone. The current restaurant has limited option, especially for lunch, there were only 5 entree you can pick from for the lunch menu.
4. For the free Platinum breakfast is only free to cold, it cost $6 or $8 more to have the hot breakfast. And we can only order from the menu if we paid for the extra. 5 years ago, it was free up to $15 for Platinum breakfast. This was a reduction on the value of being a SPG Platinum member.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel as there are more hotels are being built around it. Now being Marriott, SPG and Ritz are in one program, I would suggest stay with the other hotels than this one. There is couple new hotels next to Westin are recently opened and looks new and nice.

P.S. Take a look at the bill before you leave the hotel property, as of now the billing issue has not resolved as I use the prepaid rate.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank _hio_lao
nspivack, Manager at The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us. It was nice to read how great the maintenance and housekeeping teams were throughout your interactions with them. However, please accept our apologies for the poor experiences you encountered with our other teams; more specifically the front office and arrival process. We do have a very robust text messaging system that is for all our guests and not exclusive to anyone. We use this to welcome our guests, and get as much detail as we can about their upcoming stay. It seems this process worked, but didn’t translate effectively to your actual reservation. We have shared this feedback with our teams, and are looking into who specifically let us down. We will use your comments to coach and retrain those team members as this is not our standard. We greatly appreciate your continued loyalty with the brand, and specifically our resort. We do hope you will give us another opportunity in the future so we may show you just how much better we are, and what you have come to expect from our resort.