“Great getaway spot”

Courtyard by Marriott Sandestin at Grand Boulevard
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Destin
Reviewed 21 October 2011

After living in Atlanta for 11 years, I finally made it to the FL Gulf/panhandle area. Have always heard so many positive comments ... it was great to finally see if for myself. Having been all over Florida and to the GA Coast, just never made it down to the Destin area. Have to say, it was lovely. About a 5 1/2 drive from Atlanta with a quick stop, so not bad. We decided to stay at the Courtyard since we were only going for 3 nights and since it was our first visit to the area so we didn't want to committ to a condo or other rental. The Courtyard was perfect for our purpose - still looks fairly new, clean, staff was nice, good breakfast - overall a very good experience. Elevators are slow and small. We had a kind bedded room with a pull out sofa which was perfect for me and my husband and our 4 1/2 yr old daughter. Other downside is that it's not right on the beach but location was fine for our purpose - it was mid-way between the beach and the Baytown village and just over a mile from the outlets (which came in handy the day it rained). It was also close to accessing the smaller beach towns on the 30A Scenic drive. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others looking for a mini-getaway.

Room Tip: If traveling with 1 or 2 small kids, we found the king with a pull out sofa to be fine for our needs...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank NLReilly

Reviewed 9 October 2011

clean rooms housekeeping is very nice breakfast special steak and eggs not to expensive only downside is beach access you have to drive and than park an walk to beach at sandestin resort . like that golf course is next door

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank travler357
Reviewed 16 September 2011

If your impression of Courtyard by Marriott is the prototype three story donut plan in the suburbs, this hotel will come as a pleasant surprise. It's bigger, newer, nicer than your average Courtyard, and ups the ante for the brand as a whole. I've stayed here a couple of times this year and been very impressed both times. Room, amenities, restaurant (breakfast) were all first-rate. Plus you are either a long walk or a short drive from great shopping at Grand Boulevard, a lifestyle center that is almost adjacent to the hotel. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Views are good in all directions, but the Gulf is South of you.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank lesuerg
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Excellent location, courteous staff, very clean rooms. I would definitely recommend this to friends.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank lynettez50
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Recently found a new job after being underemployed for awhile. As much as I liked the idea of steady income, I kind of dreaded just a little bit the loss of my freedom to go where I wanted whenever I wanted. So I decided to get one more escape. I always loved jets so I decided to drive down to Pensacola to check out the Navy Air Museum. However, I wanted a little taste of my favorite beach sand, so I decided to spend the night in Destin, FL.

Since it was after the holidays I expected a dramatic reduction in hotel rates. Surprisingly although they fell from summer rates, the rates did not settle down to the level of the Spring rates, which previous Fall rates reflected. So I printed out rates from hotel.com, but did not book anything. About 40 miles out from Destin I started calling around. The walk-in rates were running about $130 to $140 for the hotels I reached initially. I asked them to match a $82 rate I found on hotels.com for Candlewood (it was actually booked) and Courtyard by Marriott provided a rate of about $100. Another hotel provided a rate of $80, but I was willing to pay $20 more to have access to the Sandestin facilities.

Location: - The Courtyard and the Residence Inn, coordinates 'N32 22 47,W 86 19 16' (across the parking lot) sit right on Highway 98, Emerald Coast Highway. They are about 1/2 mile East of the Main Sandestin Resort entrance, however there is also an entrance to the resort right next to the hotel parking lot, which is manned during the day. East of it you will find a Publix, Carrabbas, some boutique shops and some smaller local restaurants. A brand new Wal-Mart is about a mile further east.

Exterior- I've stayed at the sister hotel (Residence Inn) before, and this hotel property from the outside looks like it is very well-kept. Shrubbery, outside furnishings, driveway and parking lot still have a relatively new look, although I know this place has been here a few years.

Lobby Interior- The lobby in this hotel is actually significantly larger than the Residence Inn across the street, it is also brighter with a larger breakfast area. The staff that greeted me were really nice and cheerful. Furnishing was fine and the provide a little area with computers for web access, if you don't have your own. Wireless is available in the lobby and it is definitely stronger than what I experience in the lobby of the Residence Inn.

Room- Was surprisingly very large for a hotel room. The carpeting was not plush and soft, but it was clean with one or two minor stains and it matched the decor. The decor was a beige and yellow in color. The tv was the regular type, not a flat panel. The work desk is really nice with a lot of space on it. I'm actually using the wireless now, but there is an ethernet cable on the work desk, which would provide obviously a higher level of security. Lamps, chairs, beds were tasteful. Although the bed physically was fine, it did not have the 'jump into me right now' kind of feel, that I experienced at the Residence Inn. But hey, the Residence Inn was looking for about $40 more tonight, when I called them. This Courtyard is quite good and I have no real complaints.

Other Items- Remember this hotel has a relationship with the Sandestin Resort, so you will be given a pass that let's you onto the resort for use of the beach, the facilities and of course you can go over to Baytowne Wharf, which is the entertainment part of Sandestin Resort.

Summary - I don't like spending $100 for any hotel. But in this case I made a mental decision to spend more here than I would have for another hotel down the street. Why, because the hotel is nice and even more than that I get access to Sandestin Resort and beach, without paying Sandestin rates, which runs about $140 or so, plus a resort fee. Yes, this is a new favorite and I rate it very good.

NOTE: This handicap room has a tub in it with a low lip, which is helpful. However, when I take ma with me, I have found a walk-in shower with a seat to be preferable.

Some photos before I messed up anything.

Room Tip: Call around like I did to make sure there is area availability. Then negotiate.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo