New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #7 of 103 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Ohio
“Our second home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2010

We have been coming here since before our 3 kids were born. Its always been such a warm and relaxing vacation. Clean and fresh rooms are always the norm here. Friendly staff as well. Someone mentioned about the towels on the lounge chairs. All I can say is thats how it is there. You have to fend for yourself. The place is so popular that the chairs get filled fast. And for those guests to assume the staff should take the towels off if not being used, well what would they do with the towels, put them all in a stack? I dont think so. So the way its handled is fine with me. I do have to say, they shoud monitor the parking situation. They give you a tag to put in your car front window, showing the room your in, but not everyone uses it. So actually some of the locals have friends come over and they share the rooms. So there are times there are 2, 3 or even 4 cars for one room. I understand there are 129 rooms and 129 parking spots. So on the one weekend we were there, I had nowhere to park at all. They dont monitor the quest parking at all. And they should. Another negative we found is that they are downsizing on employees to a degree. By this I mean, there is no pool guard there all week during slow times. People come on off the beach and use the slide and chairs, kids going down the slide 2 and 3 at a time, running around, and no one there to monitor them. At least not during the week. The one pool guard, Lavonne is there usually but this year I understand she was laid off til july. They have games for the kids and some for adults as well. They used to have a coffee clutch and ice cream socials but those are gone as well. Also with the games, they have bingo at least 5 times a week, but by the time everyone gets started, the games are over in 35 minutes. All in all as I said, we love this place and been there many times in the past. We will continue to come.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, 17 July 2010
I would like to thank this returning guest for such kind comments regarding our staff, the comfort and cleanliness of our rooms and for the loyalty of vacationing with us for so many years. I sincerely apologize to this guest for not being able to find a parking space and I agree with the comments that during busy times, parking sometimes is an issue. The property physically has one parking space per room but many times, guests bring more than one car, making it a problem during busy times. We are exploring different solutions to this problem and hopefully will resolve this issue. This guest is right when saying some of our previous events have been temporarily suspended such as our ice cream social and pool monitors during some of our slower times. These changes were made due to the current economic conditions forcing us to cut corners where there would be the least impact. We have continued our free activity program and will look into extending the time of the bingo games. I am happy to hear, that even with our shortcomings, this loyal repeat guest will continue to return. We certainly appreciate this review and the concern this guest took to send in these comments. We look forward in welcoming them back to the Sun Viking Lodge . . . a place where you are always welcome!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

We had our vacation for the second time in Daytona Beach at Sun Viking Lodge. Since we are Canadians from Québec, we stay for quite a long period of time (at least 15 nights). So we look for great places to stay. Actually, we only have good words for Sun Viking Lodge and the staff. It's a great place to stay.

It's a nice family place with many convenient features (pools, free internet, animation, etc). The place is also ideal for a couple like my wife and I, so its obvious that we'll return in the future.

The administration staff are nice people and they were very accomodating in our special situation on our last trip.

Vacationers from Québec

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, 6 July 2010
I would like to take this opportunity to extend a great big thank you to our friends from Canada. We appreciate your kind words and we look forward to your return to the Sun Viking Lodge . . . a place where you are always welcome!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2010

Sun Viking is the best value on the beach. Clean rooms, nice pools, friendly staff, great ocean front location. This is the place for family fun.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We want to express our thanks for the compliments made in this review. We sincerely appreciate the time this guest took to give us such a nice review - thank you.
Plant City, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2010

Its HORRIBLE that no other hotel comes close to the FUN we have at Sun viking (sorry for scaring you Mrs Brown) see we know exactly what to expect every time we come to Sun viking that our visit isn't until June 19th to....err whenever we wanna leave! probably a week so this has been a GENERATION of coming to the Viking, we absolutely love our visit each and every time we come here from the adults to the kiddies..all the pool's are great, the activities are great and oh wait I forgot about the water slide! how cool is that!! so this is to all the negative comments that you see..not sure what these people are talking about! if you want chocolates on your pillow with down comforters and pillows go pay 190+ a night at some boring hotel, if you want a kick butt time with you're friends, kiddies and family come to the Viking! the ONLY downfall I have is no responses for positive comments..course the Browns will be on here all day if they did that.

Thanks guys for MANY of years of great family fun....see y'all in a few weeks!
Love ya the Richter/Sadler families!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
As I started to read this review, my heart sank, until I read on. As owners of the Sun Viking Lodge, our goal is to keep our guests happy. Having them return is a compliment; having them return for so many years, is the highest compliment. We appreciate all the kind words, thank you!
Orlando
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

I arrived at 9:00 4/4/10 everything went fine checking in. We actually got in our room earlier than 11. The chairs around the pool were taken. What I mean by taken is there were people but alot of the lounges had towels on them. That was fine. I just told myself "we'll get one tomorrow." Our room was overlooking the pool with the slide. Paid almost 200 dollars. I woke up at 7am to look down at the pool to see nothing but towels on EVERY chair arond the pool. I went to the office to see what could be done. All I wanted to do was read a book in peace before everyone came down. The office said I had to wait for the pool attendant to get there at 9 am and he would remove the towels.He did not arrive til 9:45 and did NOT remove any towels.I got to sit on the balcony and watch a bunch of towels sunbathe for 2 hrs and 15 minutes. I then called BOB the so called manager and was told 'PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE' and we don't know why they do that and I'll have to bring it up again at our meeting. The owners have been told about this before and do nothing!!!!!!!!! I basicly had to stay on the balcony to watch our kids have fun on the slide. I watched for two days for a seat around the pool and they let PEOPLE save there seats for hours!!! This was my second time visiting and my last. They need to find a new manager, He was no help and not very professional. I don't understand why the people in the office did not move the towels. They said it is first come first served. The towels were there ALL night. Then one of the guests called me a B____ when I left to go to the office. My two neices 7&8 were standing there with my bro when she said it!!!! All i got from the manager 'PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE!!!!" NO sorry of any kind of apology for this terrible experience. If it weren' t for the kids I would have left then.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank nofuninthesun
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, 10 April 2010
First, we certainly appreciate the high ratings this guest gave us on our “Rooms, Location, Cleanliness and Sleep Quality” and we are glad we meet those expectations. However, as owner of the Sun Viking Lodge, I want to apologize to this guest and express how sorry we are for her recent experience on our pool decks. We are very concerned that every one of our customers enjoys their entire stay. We do offer several sundecks, even a rooftop sundeck; however, during extremely busy times, such as the Easter holiday, finding seating right next to the pool can be a challenge. I agree with this guest, it should be easier to select a lounge on our pool deck. Since this guest was a repeat customer, it is apparent that this did not occur during her previous visit with us. We will definitely address this issue with management and will try to come up with a better solution. Once again, I sincerely regret that the issue of poolside seating happened to this very valued guest and I appreciate the time she took to write this review. I understand her decision not to return, however, she is always welcome at the Sun Viking Lodge.