“Great Place to Stay”

Bahama Bay Resort Orlando by Wyndham Vacation Rentals
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Davenport
Reviewed 26 July 2010

I am so glad that I decided to stay at the Bahama Bay Resort. I read many reviews on this resort as well as other resorts. I was a little afraid of being stuck with a dirty condo and rude staff because of some of the complaints in the reviews, but I decided to take a chance because of the low rates. We stayed for two weeks because my son was playing at the ESPN Center for AAU Basketball. Those reviews were so wrong! The condo was perfect! It looked brand new. We were in building 17 close to the Tradewinds Restaurant. We were in the San Salvador two bedroom two bath condo. It took us about five minutes to check in and the staff were great. Before taking any of our belongings out of our SUV, we thoroughly checked the condo for any problems. I found not one stain on the carpet, furniture, or walls(looked freshly painted).The condo was very spacious. I am a very picky person and I can honestly say I was very impressed. The kids enjoyed the pool, movie rental, and eating breakfast on our private patio. My only wish for this resort is that they get wi-fi in the condos. Wi-fi is available in the clubhouse. There is a Walmart about two and a half miles from the resort. Also, there are lots of dining options within a reasonable distance. We will stay again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,220)

Reviewed 25 July 2010

Our original reservations with the Bahama Bay Resort and Spa were for June 18th - June 29th. We later extended the date until July 4th.
We arrived in Orlando a day early and went to the resort to see it. We were greeted by Samuel Dipero (I hope I got that right Samuel) at the front desk. I explained that I would like to see a room of the type that we reserved (a 3B/2Bath deluxe villa), and he gave us a room key, and called someone to take us to the villa.
The Villa:
Juan showed us the unit, explaining that it was recently renovated. New furniture, carpeting, flat screens in every room. It was huge (over 1,700 sq ft) and very nice! We requested, and received, this same room for our stay.
The king and queen bedrooms both had balconies (the king one was very large with a full sized patio table with chairs), and the living room also had a balcony. The bathrooms were both very large with large corner tubs and walk in showers. The king bathroom also had a separate water closet. The queen and twin rooms shared the second bath.
The kitchen had everything, and came with some starters, dishwashing soap, coffee filters, sugar/sugar sub packets, ect.. A full sized washer and dryer, broom, vaccuum, in the laundry room.
It had a small, comfortable dining area, and a living room with a large flat screen, and comfortable seating.
The unit was very clean, with the exception of the bathrooms, which could have used more bleaching for the floor grout. It is dificult to keep the grout from discolouring on the main areas, but if it was done regularly, it shouldn't have been so noticeable. It was not horrible though, but I did spray/clean both bathrooms with lysol before we used them (that's a good practice anyway).
The beds were very comfortable. There were ample pillows, blankets, and there were extra sheets.
The Resort:
The resort itself was very pretty. Our unit was one unit away from one of the 2 pool areas (both areas have hot tubs too). It was a short walking distance, but far enough so we didn't hear any noise from the pool area. The pool area we were closest to has a beach area. It very pretty with covered lounge chairs, and a small dock that overlooks the lake.The one downside is that the pools all close very early, 7:00pm, so we rarely got there. They have free movie rentals, and current movies too. They have a small onsite store for forgotten essentials, but it's a short drive to the Publix too, so we would drive there for our groceries. They had a restaurant which we did eat at once. Fish and chips... decent food, decent price, but we perferred to eat away from the resort since there is such a large selection on 192, and of course, Disney. They had free wi-fi in common areas only. I have my own broadband so I didn't need to use it. My broadband (verizon) worked fairly well in the room (3 out of 5 bars). They had computers/internet you could use for $4 for 10 minutes or $10 per hr. There is a spa, which we didn't use. There is a menu of their services and costs (which seem reasonably average) in the villa. They also have a small excersize room.
They have a plaquette with a list of the number of towels you are supposed to have. I don't know if they actually charge you as they say, but we counted ours (don't forget to include the towel animals) and we didn't have near the number we were supposed to. We went the the front desk with the list we were supposed to have, and the list we had. They said 'no problem' , and noted it in the computer. The also supplied some of the missing towels later. We had no problems with charges for this.
This resort has no elevators (lifts). All deluxe units are located on the top floor (3rd floor). Be aware of this if it is a problem for you or a member of your family. We had no problem with it.
Staff worth mentioning:
Samuel Dipiro. Extremely friendly. I asked for Samuel's last name, but misplaced it. I hope i got it correct. I think Samuel must live behind the front desk because there was rarely a time that we were in the check in building that I didn't see him there. I asked Samuel a billion or so questions, which he always seemed to have the answer to, and he didn't even seem to mind.
Willette. Also extremely friendly and helpful. Love your hair! :)
Area:
The resort is not within any kind of walking distance for anything at all (and I like to walk). It's set very far from the main road. It takes about 3-4 minutes to drive to 192. With no traffic, we can drive to Animal Kingdom in 15 minutes (if there is traffic coming or going, cutting off at Black Lake Rd will save you some traffic lights to get to Sherbeth rd). Once you are on 192, there is nothing that isn't there. Shopping, restuarants, fast food, etc.... At only 15 minutes from Disney, the location of this resort is very good.
Notes:
Please remember that this is a Villa, not a hotel room. You do not get daily cleaning. You are charged a cleaning fee which is standard on all villas/townhomes/condos that are rented in most areas. This is not a "surprise" charge. It is stated in every website I use (bookit.com, expedia, hotels.com). You are also charged a resort fee which is also standard for most hotels/resorts in this area. Be sure to read all the hotel terms.
This particular resort holds a deposit fee of $250. This is a returnable fee, and is also standard among these types of units. This resort also gives you the option of a $40 non-returnable fee if you do not want $250 held up for a while.

My only complaint is that upon check-out, I found out that the additional 5 days I added was not at the rate that I thought it would be. I do know that I was not getting the Bookit.com rate I had reserved for the first 11 nights. Even though that rate WAS still available online for 3 of the 5 nights I wanted, it would have involved another 2 separate reservations, one from Bookit.com and one through the resort, and that seemed complicated. I thought the rate would be 109 per night AFTER taxes and resort fees (which was only about $10 more than I was paying for the first 11 nights after taxes and resort fees), only to find that that was the rate BEFORE the fees & taxes. The taxes and resort fees for the 5 nights on 109 was about $100. If I had understood this, I would have made the 2 separate reservations to save the money.

Because this was an extended stay of 16 nights total, I do think the resort could have honored the full reservation at my original rate, but that was the manager's decision, not the front dest staff... and I think he could have made a better decision.

As it stands I feel I got an excellent value. I was happy with the resort, location, and the staff I encountered. i would highly recommend this resort to anyone, especially larger families that can't do a conventional hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2010

I read all the reviews before booking and hoped for the best. Since most reviews were very good, I figured it couldn't be as bad as some of the really bad reviews. We just returned yesterday from our stay and over all it was great! Let me start with some of the things I think need attention...the room while spacious and comfortable (other then the bed, it was rather hard) could have used a nice coat of paint, new carpet (something NOT light grey), and updated tv's. Oh, and there should be more then one movie rental machine, there were very few choices for kids since they were all out. But, that's really minor, we did bring out own since we drove. Overall the furnishing could use an update. Now on to the +'s...we will NEVER stay in a single hotel room again with the whole family for vacation! We LOVED having all the space and the kids having rooms of their own was great. We had two older kids (13 and 11) and one little one (4), as well as our 7 year old niece so it was nice to be able to put the little one to bed and the kids watched movies while we headed to the bar! Oh, that was a downside as far a price for drinks, two 'specialty drinks were $15 a pop! Otherwise, it was nice and relaxing to just kick back, even with all the noise from the pool, that didn't bother us. In fact we wished our youngest had been older so they all could have come with us and swam. Anyway, we loved the screened in porches. I would stay there again in a heartbeat can't beat the price! We didn't think it was that far from Universal. I don't know, maybe being a military family we are used to traveling or something, but 20 miles is nothing to us. lol

Reviewed 18 July 2010

The place is really just average. The grounds are pretty, but I personally don't care as much about that. I am more into the rooms and how clean they are.

We were in town because our children were competing at the ESPN Wide World of Sports and their team was staying at the Bahama Bay. It was affordable, and had a kitchen, and washer and dryer. That's why it was chosen.

I was nervous after reading these reviews. But I will say, the resort was ok. Just ok. Nothing special at all.

We had a three bedroom. The carpet WAS dirty, as I read on here. But the apartment was huge. But it was so huge, it was almost eerie. The bed we had in the master bedroom was horrible. It needs to be thrown away. There were enough towels, but they looked like something you would wash the car with. And I saw hair on towels three times.

I just went with the flow, because the kids were happy to be with the team, and I didn't want to be the complainer in the group. It wasn't a dump. But it was borderline. Next time I will stay somewhere else. I couldn't really relax and get comfortable here.

1  Thank Priceice
Reviewed 15 July 2010

This was our second time at Bahama Bay having stayed there in 2006. We thought long and hard about where to stay this time with so much choice but decided to go there again and we are so pleased we did. It is a long way from Seaworld & Universal but very convenient for Disney. Also makes for an easier journey to Busch Gardens and the Gulf Coast. We went for the Grand Bahama this time and were very impressed with the accommodation and facilities.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Davenport
10 km away
3 km away
Liki Tiki Village
Liki Tiki Village
#26 of 154 in Kissimmee

Been to Bahama Bay Resort Orlando by Wyndham Vacation Rentals? Share your experiences!