“The Square Grouper Grill is Fantastic...What a Find at MM 22.5 in The Keys!”
Review of Square Grouper

Square Grouper
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Cudjoe Key
Price range: US$8 - US$34
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Innovative fresh local seafood. House Smoked Fish Dip is phenomenal, a definite "must try"!! Our Conch Chowder and our Key Lime Pie are also something you should not miss. We also have a great Square Grouper Fish Sandwich, 16 oz Grilled Ribeye (Certified Angus Beef!), Salads and lots of small plates to share...Flash Fried Conch with ponzu and wasabi. We are open on Mondays from the last week in December thru April! We close every September from the Sunday AFTER Labor Day and reopen on the Thursday BEFORE Columbus Day Weekend. We will be Reopening on Thursday, October 4th! See you then!
Reviewed 19 January 2017

While on the way from Key West to Islamorada my friend and I spotted a nice looking restaurant out of the way in Cudjoe Key at MM 22.5. It was early morning and the place was closed but we read the menu posted outside plus the high rating from TripAdvisor on the door. The menu looked great and different so we planned to stop on Friday when were headed back to Key West. Although the traffic was horrible because of a wreck at MM 16 we finally arrived an hour before lunch closing. We had local craft beers at the bar while we waited for a table. We had bacon wrapped shrimp as an appetizer as well. The shrimp were large and cooked perfect. I had yellow tail snapper for my entree and it was probably the best I have ever had in the many years of coming to the Keys. The key lime pie was tops too.
The service was great from A to Z, friendly and efficient. We were so impressed we drove back from Key West the next day for lunch again. The staff talked about the fun bar that's open from 4:20 PM every day so I plan to go there next time in the Keys. A wonderful experience and absolutely worth the short drive on US 1.

Date of visit: December 2016
1  Thank John M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,495)

Reviewed 19 January 2017 via mobile

We stopped here not being sure what to expect and are so glad we did - we WILL return someday. Not only was the variety and quality of the food great, but the atmosphere was also a real plus! My husband had the square grouper sandwich with fries and slaw, and I had the fresh catch (yellowtail) blackened with sweet tater fries and slaw. The food was perfectly and slightly uniquely cooked - the spices were subtle and not over the top, and the portions were good...just right.

We were full, but wanted KLP and are very glad we went for it. We both agreed this was the best we've ever had. Very much the traditional recipe, but the texture and flavors were just amazing.

We will measure future restaurants against the Square Grouper for a long time!!

Reviewed 19 January 2017

After a few trips to Key West we finally got to The Square Grouper for lunch this time!! It was well worth the wait!!! The food was fresh and very well prepared, delicious and fair in price. As a matter of fact, we returned there for dinner while in Key West (it's about a 20 minute drive up US1). I cant wait to return again, what a wonderful menu and great owner/chef!!!!!

Reviewed 18 January 2017 via mobile

We started with the smoke fish dip! The jalapeño was a tasty surprise (on the side) but paired fantastically. The atmosphere was industrial, contemporary meets hippy fisherman... made me smile. The details down to the hooks to hang your purse on in the bathrooms were all vividly thought thru. The grouper sandwich really didn't need the bun because it was a feast for the taste buds!!! The waitress was fun and truly loved her job! My only regret was not getting her name :) no name tags. Husband got a fried fish sandwich and we both kept asking "do you want to try this?"... but not really wanting to let go of our own perfectly proportioned meal! At least until he ordered the key lime pie.... of which HE HAD TO SHARE ... but now I wish I had got one to go.

Reviewed 18 January 2017

Make a point to stop here for dinner at least twice! East at the downstairs original Square Grouper. Any dinner entree is exceptional. I had Yellowtail blackened and hubby had Grouper special. Both were excellent sized portions. Get the edamame appetizer! Eat there a second time and go upstairs to the new "My other Joint" small plates. Fun to get a few to share.

Date of visit: December 2016