“Hooeeeey”

A Cajun Bowl
Ranked #95 of 486 Restaurants in Cape Coral
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Reviewed 6 September 2017

I had a taste for some Cajun food and heard about the Cajun Bowl in the Cape.
So I went over and had me some Gumbo. Spicy , not too bad , but ... the sad part is ... I've had better. But then again , I've been to NOLA and ate my share of Gumbo that set the Gumbo bar very high. There were other items on the menu that caught my eye and I will go back and try the Jambalaya.

The Cajun Bowl is a small but quaint joint in a small mall with free parking. The ambiance is folksy and appealing with enough seating for approximately 8-10 people.
The owner is a Louisiana boy who will entertain you with his guitar and friendly conversation. I had a good time and will return for a sample of other items on the menu.
The food can be spicy or hot , as you like it. Just inform the chef how much heat you can handle. Oh, and if you play the guitar bring it it along , maybe the owner will join in and have a little jam session. He's very sociable and a good guy.

Date of visit: August 2017
1  Thank Patrick P

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

We have visited here before, once with othert couples and once ordering take-out. So given that this was our third visit, obviously we think the food is pretty good. If you are planning on eating in you should know that the place is very small, only a few tables.

The menu is also small, but we like it that way. We prefer places that specialize in cuisine that they know how to prepare and serve properly, rather than trying to be all things to all diners and then ending up being mediocre at everything. And the owners here do know their Cajun food. The etouffee is very good, and they aren't stingy with the shrimp or crawfish.

All that said, we remembered that on our previous visits we didn't get enough rice to go with the entree. So on this last take-out order (2 orders of etouffee) we asked for extra rice. We would invite those reading this review to look at the picture we are posting. The tiny little white container is what we found in the bag when we got home, containing the order of extra rice that we asked for. We included a spoon to give perspective. It's literally maybe three spoonfuls of rice. It was so blatantly ridiculous that our reaction would have been more amused than annoyed until we looked at our bill and realized they charged us an extra dollar. For THAT.

First of all, we would be OK with being charged extra for rice, although in all of many experiences in Asian and Cajun restaurants where white rice is a staple, we have never been charged for extra. But if you ARE going to charge for it, you better give the customer a generous portion, not a thimbleful.

The combination of our astonishment at seeing that tiny little container and the disappointment of the surcharge on the bill spoiled what would otherwise have been yet another happy visit to the Cajun Bowl. It may be awhile before we return.

Date of visit: August 2017
2  Thank jonsu210
Reviewed 21 July 2017

A Cajun Bowl, NE 3rd Ave, Cape Coral, Fl., Here is my 2 cents on the food and chatter.
I must first say, in all parts of the world, each local area can have very different style for the same dish.
So for me this was a different style of the same food.
The food. They have hands down the very BEST sweet tea in SWFL. I get sweet tea at all my outings. If it is house made......Sweet just right no bitterness perfect.
The cup of red beans and rice. $5 a large cup. ( good portion good price) it is not like a Jamaican red bean and rice. It had chunks of meat and was just different though good.
Shrimp Etouffee, ( pronounce A-2-fave) I will acknowledge this is the 2nd place that has the hottest spiciest food in the area. It had potatoe salad. It reminded me of the german tater salad my Mom made. I hated it. It was too sour with vinegar. But that's me.
They claim this is the best etouffee in SWFL. I found it was ok. Very spicy. But since I have etouffee only twice before I am not sure. The price is $13 or so. The portion was very generous. Good for seconds later on.
Be warn what is Cajun mild is Florida Hot !!!!!
The eatery is small (4 tables) but does a lot of take out. It has a large following
It has been here for 2-3 years so they are doing something right.

Date of visit: July 2017
1  Thank rholland63
Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

Excellent food, Mike is a great cook, great atmosphere and music, recommend it highly. Come empty because you will leave full.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 10 June 2017

Gumbo was tasty, jambalaya was unique and flavorful and the owner Mike was great. Mike takes pride in his craft and is truly passionate about it, which comes through in the food and atmosphere hes created at A Cajun Bowl. Worth trying out for sure if you want to experience Cajun food.

Date of visit: June 2017