“Great Service, but the food is a hit or miss”
Review of Bonefish Grill

Bonefish Grill
Ranked #24 of 325 Restaurants in Brandon
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 July 2018

I admittedly do not dine here very often. Maybe once every 3 or 4 years just to try items that catch my eye on the seasonal menu. It's sadly not the place that I go to for fresh fish. There are better places in Brandon/Valrico for seafood. With that said, I was very happy with some of the menu items. The Bang Bang Shrimp is always a good choice. I've had that item as an appetizer in the past. The one I had this time around was the PEI Mussels, and they were delicious. We devoured them. I was also very happy with the complimentary bread and the herb olive oil dip. I used some of that bread to soak up the garlic and sambuca sauce from the mussel dish. The appetizer and the service was really the best part of this meal. Tony was very attentive and described all the dishes with great detail.

So, for the main dish I had the special Wild Alaska Salmon and Shrimp. The Salmon had a good wood grilled flavor, but the filet was a thin cut which made the fish drier than I normally like it. I'm used to a fattier and thicker piece of Salmon (with the skin) that is cooked to medium. Maybe it's because this fish is wild and not farmed. I don't really know. Anyway, I did like the creamy parmesan and artichoke sauce along with the veggies. The shrimp were overcooked and were way too oily. This dish could have been better. I felt like I could have sent it back and asked for something else, but I just don't do that. Besides, it all tasted good. It just didn't have that "wow" factor for me. Mom, on the other hand, liked her lobster tail. It was served with one of those lobster butter warmers. It was very classy, and she really liked that. She had potatoes au gratin and cole slaw as side dishes. She was happy with the cole slaw, but not so happy with the potatoes. It was plated like a mofongo, but not as tasty.

For dessert, we had the "Fresh Strawberry Shortcake" off of their seasonal menu. It was good, but it would have been fantastic if the shortcake part of the dessert was fresh. It was cold and hard. I feel like it would have been exceptional had it been fresh and warm.

I'm rating this at 4 stars because of the service, and for the items that were a hit. The other items had good flavor, but the execution was a little off. It won't keep us from coming back again in the next 3 or 4 years. We may just stick to our regular mom & pop type restaurants.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

This was probably the fourth time that I ever eaten at this location, and the food is very good every time. Sometimes we have really good servers, and sometimes we have pretty good service. I have never had bad service at this location. I feel like the menu as a good variety, the bread is very good, and the atmosphere is nice. I work in the area every couple of months and this is a frequent stops for us. I know it’s a chain, and I don’t usually do chains if I can avoid them, but I have nothing but good things to say about this place.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 24 June 2018

We went there with our friend and we none enjoyed our meals. We want go back there.I ordered fish and I didn't like it at all.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 24 May 2018 via mobile

Thought we stop in for a early dinner was there by 5:15 so not to get stuck in the dinner crowd.
Had the dumplings for a appetizer over cook and drowned in ginger sauce.
I had the Tilapia Imperial ( a bonefish speciality) so says the menu. It was small, dry, overcook and had breadcrumbs inside instead of crabmeat and was to have shrimp and scallops but couldn't find anything that resembled them. It was covered in a white mystery sauce with too many capers to identify.
My wife had a filet mignon and I know it's a fish restaurant but this piece of meat was not a filet.
The server was attentive until she had 3 other tables and we were her least concern
I have eaten in this bonefish before and it was much better.
Maybe just an off night???

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 24 May 2018

This was our fourth visit. This time with a group of friends for dinner.
We received very good service from the very beginning. The food was also fresh, tasty and nicely served. Our waitress Erica was great, deserves 5+ stars. We will definitely be back.

Date of visit: May 2018

Been to Bonefish Grill? Share your experiences!