“Great Calzones”

Ranked #72 of 588 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: Deli, Italian, Pizza, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Mazzella's Italian Restaurant offers authentic Italian Cuisine. We are famous for our specialty pizzas and other Italian dishes, which are made fresh daily from the highest quality ingredients. Stop in today to experience our award-winning cuisine.
Reviewed 9 December 2015

Haven't been here is a few years, but I had remembered that on Wednesdays they do Calzone & Stromboli lunch specials. Got their Calzone with Ham & Black Olives. Love the amount of cheese they put in them. Also they really fill it, not a lot of empty dough like a number of other shops.

Domenico M, owner at Mazzella's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2015

Thanks for this great feedback! We never want to skimp on the calzones -- they're the best when they're stuffed full of tasty ingredients. Come see us again anytime!

All the best,

Reviewed 7 November 2015

After hearing tons of great reviews my family and I decided to have dinner at Mazellas tonight. As soon as we were seated I asked if they had any vegetarian soups, someone brought us a soup with chicken and kept telling me there was no meat in it when there clearly was large pieces of chicken in it! The waitress was very nice and accommodated us as quickly as she could. However once we received our pizza we had to take it to go cause we waited 45 minutes for a cheese pizza that turned out to be the worst pizza we have ever had! It tasted like vomit the cheese was slimy and the sauce was beyond salty! We will never go back and will not be recommending this restaurant! Very disappointing especially when you have two babies with you.

3  Thank ali s
Domenico M, owner at Mazzella's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2015

This is so off target for us -- I am sincerely sorry for the slip up. I can understand that this would be really frustrating. I will check with the kitchen immediately and get to the root of the problem. You deserve better.

Sincere apologies,

Reviewed 7 October 2015 via mobile

Here with another couple. The food is Awesome! Hubby had lasagna, friends had chicken parmigiano and I had stuffed shells. You have to try the cheesy bread and peppers.

Domenico M, owner at Mazzella's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2015

Sandra, thanks for coming by with your friends for a nice meal. I'm please to read that the dishes were a hit with the whole table. Come back and see us anytime.

All the best,

Reviewed 3 October 2015

We got the spicy clam/mussel special and vodka sauce. Both were so good I was surprised at my disappointment when the leftovers were gone. Nice chopped antipasti too. The vodka was super creamy and rich but just enough. And the spicy pasta was spicy with great flavor. It was Monday night they were not packed but had steady traffic. Service was fine.

Domenico M, owner at Mazzella's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2015

I wish that your leftovers would have lasted longer! It sounds like you need to visit us again soon. We'll keep serving up some great dishes for you.

Best,

Reviewed 21 August 2015 via mobile

We eat here about once a week.

Sometimes the eggplant pizza, other time pasta dishes.

Gets crowded at night we usually stop in earlier in the evening.

Today has he Arbiatta and eggplant parm.

Great service, good ice teas.

Always food left over to take home for lunch the next day.

Domenico M, owner at Mazzella's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2015

It's always a pleasure to have you in. We do get crowded late in the evening, so thanks for the note about coming early to avoid the crowds. I'm so happy to serve you some great pizza and pasta and send you home with more to spare!

Cheers,