“Surprisingly good!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 547 Restaurants in Wilmington
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Pennsylvania
“Surprisingly good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

I am admittedly a food snob, and to me, Wilmington is a third rate restaurant town. We dined here only because I was given a gift card and needed to use it. I was blown away by the food and the service. We shared an iceberg lettuce salad and a mixed salad--both fresh and nicely presented. For appetizers, we tried the chicken cheese-steak rolls--a little oily, and the crabcakes--quite good. For entrees, we had a veal sirloin and the fish of the day. Both were nicely prepared and presented. We finished with the tiramisu--not authentic, but tasty and huge! Anthony, our waiter, could not have been nicer and more helpful. Jeremy, the manager, was present to make sure our dining experience was satisfactory. It was, and more. We will definitely return!!

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank travelPAUSA

Delaware
“Always a delicious meal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

Wait staff and chefs know what they are doing! Food is attractively prepared, entress are imaginatively combined with the side dishes, and desserts are fabulous. We never hesitate to go to Eclipse with friends, and we've gone there since they opened.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank citycats915
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2010

We are often disappointed when restaurants' entrees don't match their appetizers. This wasn't the case with Eclipse. The entrees were wonderful, the service top-notch. Good variety in appetizers, entrees and a solid wine list. Quiet but attentive service. A lovely place for a dinner for two, or for a group.

2 Thank diningout02
Pennington, New Jersey
“Outstanding food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2010

My wife and I had a superb dinner here on a recent Tuesday night. While the decor is pretty basic (bare tables, a TV on over the bar area), the food and service were superb. We have eaten at great restaurants all over the world, and Eclipse ranks right up there with them. I had a spinach salad (fresh... perfect) and crab cakes (light, wonderfully presented) while my wife started with brie wrapped in wonton and a crab ravioli in corn and bacon sauce. Just superb. The service was attentive without being overwhelming. All in all, this was a very nice surprise, all at a reasonable price. Go there.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank gbsand81
Wilmington, DE
“Great dining in Wilmington, DE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2010

On TripAdvisor and a couple other sites I saw, Eclipse Bistro in Wilmington has had the highest ratings out of any other restaurant in town. I’ve been meaning to get over there for a while, and finally did on Thursday. I had originally planned on getting the Crab Ravioli with Sweet Corn Cream Sauce, since it sounds similar to the Pasta with Fresh Corn Pesto that I’ve had my eye on this week. I wound up deciding to go for the Seared Tuna with chilled rice noodles and napa cabbage slaw instead, figuring that I still plan on making the pasta with fresh corn pesto, so I don’t want to ruin it by having something similar now.

The tuna was very good. I can see why Eclipse has been rated so high. It’s not the best tuna that I’ve ever had, but that’s just because I have a weakness for soy sauce reductions. It was certainly prepared as well as any tuna I’ve had, and is easily the best fish I’ve had in Wilmington to date. The chilled rice noodles were excellent, and went well with the fish. The waitstaff were on the same level as the food. Very professional, friendly, and helpful.

I’m looking forward to stopping by again. I’m not sure yet if I’d rate this as the best food I’ve had in Wilmington, as a number of people have said on the various rating sites – I’ll have to sleep on it a bit more. It’s certainly a strong contender for #1 though.

Pictures are available here: