“Good food, decent price”
Review of Blackwall Hitch

Blackwall Hitch
Reserve with OpenTable
Blackwall Hitch is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #72 of 288 Restaurants in Rehoboth Beach
Description: A dining experience blending the area's finest in tastes & talents, Blackwall Hitch is a coastally inspired concept that creates a local connection. Here you'll find seasonally driven and locally sourced food and spirits, great local music and the area's friendliest staff and patrons. With each visit as you take in the local flavor, we guarantee you'll be hook in no time. Get hooked on the flavor.
Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

Brought my teenage daughter and her friends here for a quick lunch over the holidays. The food was good — flatbreads, burger and salad. It was all well prepared, tasty and good portion. The atmosphere was also nice. We had a good time and will definitely return.

My only “complaint” is that the service was slow, but it was the off-season so I am sure they were working with minimal staff.

Reviewed 2 January 2018

We had dinner here yesterday (Saturday) nite and enjoyed the food, service and ambience. The only knock was that they didn't turn up the heat, it was cold inside the restaurant and many of the female patrons kept their jackets on from my glance around. I made the comment to our server (wearing only a polo shirt, but many other servers/hostesses were wearing fleeces) and he said he would look into it. But we never heard back and the restaurant was still cold when we finished. Our Crispy Calamari appy was very good and we enjoyed our Pork Osso Bucos (pork shank with fettuccini pasta, big portions). We added a side of Seasonal Veggies and bottle of Chianti ($30) to go with dinner. The Pineapple Upside down cake was delicious $113 before gratuity. We were a bit apprehensive before going in after reading some of the previous reviews about portion size and cost....from our experience, it appears that Management has listened and addressed the previous negative press. Some wines by the glass were still $12/glass, but our Chianti Bronfi at $30/bottle was a great deal. Free parking along the strip now that it is off-season. We'd definitely come back!

Reviewed 2 January 2018

We decided to go here on New Year's Eve morning for their Sunday Brunch buffet instead of going out to a crowded restaurant on New Year's Evening. We had a reservation for noon, although it wasn't that crowded so we probably could have just walked in. First they tried to seat us at a high top which I declined as I don't enjoy them for a relaxing meal. Then they squished us into a table wedged between two other tables. I might have been able to squeeze in but there is no way the 4 of us could have easily gotten up frequently for a buffet so I asked to move to the next table over in the middle - there were plenty of open tables. It took a long time for a server to take our drink order, but overall the server was good and $2 mimosas were hard to beat.

Then came the real problems. First, it was very cold in the restaurant and some people had their coats on - there seemed to be some problem with the heat. Then we went to the buffet and I was disappointed by their lack of variety. The only fresh fruit I saw was as toppings for the Belgian waffles. There was a waffle station (the waffles were excellent), a carving station with delicious ham, and an omelet station where I was able to order a terrific crabmeat omelet. The problem was that there was only one guy manning all three stations, and whenever he ran out of toppings or ingredients which happened frequently, he had to leave and replenish everything himself. This left us and others standing around waiting for him to return . The caesar salad and the crab soup were good, and they had bagels and a few desserts, but they quickly ran out of the desserts, and a few pastries that I enjoyed. The hot items of the buffet was where they really ran into trouble. My daughter loves bacon, and from the time we arrived until we left nearly an hour later, they never refilled it. At one point I saw a teenager reach in with his hands (eww) in an attempt to grab the last few crumbs. The sternos were mostly out, and a guest had to point that out to the hostess to get it taken care of. There were biscuits and gravy but they ran out, etc. By the end, most of what was left was the cold items.

We were told the whole area was having problems getting enough gas (which I take it they use to cook and heat the place). I'm sure the manager was going crazy trying to get the problem resolved with New Year's Eve dinners to prepare later that day. Given that the buffet was around $30 per person, and what we received was subpar, I was ready to complain to the manager when he stopped at our table, told us what was happening and apologized. He comped two of our meals, which satisfied me and even gave us coupons for two free brunches later. Unfortunately, we didn't notice until we got home that they expire at the end of January. Since we don't live in the area, we won't be able to use them..

I know they were trying to make the best of a bad situation, but I can't figure out why they continued to seat people after us, telling them the only option was the buffet. I can't imagine what was left for them to eat.

The few things I did have were enjoyable but I'm not sure I'll be back for the brunch buffet. They need more servers and a better variety of food to make it worth the price. I may come back for another meal sometime, but it's not at the top of my list right now.

Carl K, Manager at Blackwall Hitch, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write and share with us your thoughts. We will use this information to help improve our guest experience. We apologize for this experience as it is not the experience we are committed to providing.

Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

The staff was very friendly. Due to heating issues the restaurant was extremely cold. The staff was very apologetic about it. We were told that we would only be allowed to eat from the buffet and the rest of the brunch menu was not available. Small selection to choose from but presentation was spot on. I would give the food 4 out of 5. Staff 5 out of 5. Pricing 3 out of 5. In all I would have giving the average of 4 but due to no heat and small selection of food factored in I would have to stick with my 3 out of 5.

Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

We had often thought about eating here, but it was always in the summer when it was crazy busy. It was a pleasant surprise that it was open on Christmas Eve! The place is a bit dark, but has a good selection on the menu. My daughter enjoyed the southwest salad, my husband had the salmon and salad, and I had the butternut squash soup. Everything was very tasty. My husband had their spiked hot chocolate and loved it! I would have given 5 stars, but we all thought the portions were small for the price. But we will visit again!