“EXCELLENT Food, but service is SLOW”

301 Plaza Family Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 98 Restaurants in Middletown
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 16 April 2018

There is a car show at this Travel Plaza the second Saturday of each month, April-October (excluding August). We had never been so we decided to go to the car show and give this restaurant a try as well since it was in the adjacent parking lot.

When we arrived (around 5:17pm), we were told to take a seat anywhere we liked. We grabbed a booth by the windows. A waitress was around to take our drink order and said that our waitress would be around shortly. We probably waited about 5 minutes or so for our waitress to come around. We ordered the hot turkey sandwich, a kids pancake meal, a kids chicken finger meal and a breakfast sandwich with bacon, egg and cheese on it. Our food arrived about 45 minutes later (5:58pm).

ALL of the food looked very good. The portion sizes were HUGE. I LOVED my hot turkey sandwich. It was REAL turkey meat that they cook on location instead of deli-meat. It was REAL turkey gravy, not some chicken bouillon cube mess they try to pass off. It was all the real deal. Mashed potatoes were even real, instead of instant!! Delicious. Honestly, I am a hard critic when it comes to Open Faced Hot Turkey Sandwiches and this one definitely has my seal of approval. My husband LOVED his egg sandwich on an English muffin. He said it is the BEST egg sandwich he has had out at a restaurant in over 24 years!!! I tried it and must admit it was very good. Bacon was crispy and somewhat smoky tasting. Our kids liked their meals as well. We tried them too to see how they were. Chicken tenders were moist and very flavorful. Fries were crispy and had a nice seasoning on them. Pancake was GINORMOUS and shaped almost like Mickey mouse. It was super cute. It almost tasted like a funnel cake. It had great flavor, but was a little on the tough side. That is my only food complaint. Pancake came with choice of meat & we got bacon. Kids meals came with ice cream and a drink. Drinks were even HUGE!!! Kids were given the option of 4 hand dipped ice cream flavors to choose from at the end of their meal (chocolate, mint chocolate chip, strawberry cheesecake and vanilla). We got one chocolate and one strawberry cheesecake in to-go cups. Kids snacked on them while we walked around the car show. Ice cream was good, but I don't think they was the scoop between dipping out flavors as the cheesecake one tasted a bit like mint.

Overall, we had a good meal at 301 Family Plaza Restaurant (at the truck stop). At first glance, prices seemed high, but in retrospect, they were good considering portion size. Atmosphere was casual and fun. It is somewhat of a 50's diner theme with records on the wall and old music selections pumped in overhead. Place was well lit and appeared clean. Food was EXCELLENT. I will definitely be back based on food alone!!! Service was friendly, but very SLOW, as it took 45 minutes to get our meals. They only had 1-2 waitresses on duty for the entire restaurant. One appeared to be a cashier/waitress/hostess, while the other was waiting tables at the counter and on the floor. My guess would be the same for the kitchen. They seem to need more staff.

Bottom Line: Excellent home style meals, big portions. I would recommend based on food quality and portion sizes alone. Just don't go when you are in a hurry or starving, as service is SLOW. Plan ahead!

Note: Restrooms are in the attached truck stop. You have to walk through the restaurant and attached convenience store to get to the restrooms. Here you will also find they have showers on location for the truckers who are passing through. The attached convenience shop has grab-n-go sodas, snacks and some hot food in addition to other goods.

Reviewed 19 November 2017

It is basic diner restaurant with limited menus.The French Toast platter was delivered cold and poor service will not retun.

Reviewed 14 August 2017

I will start off by saying I will be returning to this restaurant. My mom, who has been here often says the food is better than what we had on saturday. That being said.
The pancakes were chock full of blueberries. The french toast was flavorful and crisp, not soggy. The bacon was crisp but tasted more of oil than bacon. The omelets were a good size but a little runny on the inside. They are served with white american cheese which doesn't do the omelet any favors and frankly brings down the taste. Next time I will say no to the cheese. You get a good bit of food for the money. The space is a little tight and if you get a table in the middle you will be bumped throughout your meal by passersby and waitstaff. The service was very good. I will make a return trip and update my review if possible.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Went with a friend for a brunch on Sunday. The omelet was humongous with lots of crispy bacon and great home fries!

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

Excellent diner in truck stop oriented facility. Don't let the building and location dissuade you from trying. Been ther many times on way to and from the eastern shore. Always excellent , large portion meals - consistently good and freshly prepared. Burgers, sandwiches, entrees and soups. have the seafood soup if on the menu , especially Maryland crab - best I've ever had and I've had a lot !