“Great Food, poor service”
Review of The Whelk

The Whelk
Ranked #6 of 175 Restaurants in Westport
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Oyster & Seafood Bar located on the Saugatuck River.
Reviewed 23 May 2017

Love the creative dishes at this chichi Westport foodie haunt....but they just won't honor a reservation. This is not the first time it has happened. The last time I went there, the holidays, I had a reservation for a party of six. We were held waiting at the door for 45 minutes until our table cleared. (No room at the bar either,) I was already on Open Table looking for another spot. The manager made no offer to compensate us with a drink, appetizer etc..

Bad service loses the good customers. Doubtful that I will return again.

Reviewed 22 May 2017

Have been several times. Mussels, oyster devil eggs, and even the burgers with fries are favorites. Great wine list - only wish they had wine glasses with stems. Make reservations - tough to just walk in

Reviewed 6 May 2017

We very much enjoyed our meal here--the noise level not so much.
We had 4 different varieties of oysters which were all very tasty.
The deviled eggs with fried oysters are amazing. Scallop crudo--pretty good.
White Bolognese Maltigliatti, pretty good. Skate wing pretty good.
I would certainly be happy to dine here again. Service was excellent.

Reviewed 25 April 2017

Interesting and very tasty seafood options on the menu. Price in keeping with the fare.
Very capable, attentive and informed wait staff.

Reviewed 21 April 2017

My husband and I were visiting my son and grandson in New York at the beginning of this month.He suggested The Whelk, since he had been there before,and knew we would like it.We arrived early for our lunch reservation,but after only a few minutes we were seated.We started with a smoked trout appetizer, it was wonderful.Then we all had small plates, shrimp and grits,octopus with garbanzos and harrisa,some razor clams,steamed mussels.My favorite was the octopus.The drink menu is good too,mine was a drink with pisco,not a regular pisco sour,but a spicy one.Great.Service was also really good,wait staff knew what to recommend,and always came around to see what we needed.Will definitly go back when we're visiting.