“Great seafood,good vibe”

The Whelk
Ranked #7 of 166 Restaurants in Westport
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Oyster & Seafood Bar located on the Saugatuck River.
Reviewed 21 April 2017

My husband and I were visiting my son and grandson in New York at the beginning of this month.He suggested The Whelk, since he had been there before,and knew we would like it.We arrived early for our lunch reservation,but after only a few minutes we were seated.We started with a smoked trout appetizer, it was wonderful.Then we all had small plates, shrimp and grits,octopus with garbanzos and harrisa,some razor clams,steamed mussels.My favorite was the octopus.The drink menu is good too,mine was a drink with pisco,not a regular pisco sour,but a spicy one.Great.Service was also really good,wait staff knew what to recommend,and always came around to see what we needed.Will definitly go back when we're visiting.

There are newer reviews for The Whelk

Reviewed 22 March 2017 via mobile

Meet family at Whelk's. It was my first time there- small unique menu and nice ambience. They offered an array of apps., small plates and dinners. I had the shrimp and grits which were good. My husband had the burger; the fries were outrageously good! We split the chocolate peanut butter dessert- OMG deliciously sinful! I thought the meal and beverages were very pricey and for that they lost a ⭐️

Reviewed 19 March 2017

Very nice experience, with pleasant and knowledgable waitress. Recommended the deviled eggs which were so different and so good. Grilled octopus very good also. Restaurant is a little crowded with tables very close, and very loud - hard to have a private dinner conversation for four. Difficult parking.

Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

It's not my first time but I love this place. The vibe is cool and hip but warm and welcoming. The menu is always a good foray into some standards but with tasty twists. This time round we sat at the bar and had beef carpaccio followed by the meatiest mussels I've seen in ages. The taste is exquisite. The food here is always exceptional. The bar is great. The drinks menu has what you want but if you don't know what you want there are excellent suggestions. The bar person offered me an IPA that was so good. I am never ever been disappointed and I'm always really impressed. It's cool. Great for anything except kids for dinner I think (unless they are gastros). Can't speak highly enough.

Reviewed 6 March 2017

We had oysters (of course) of many different kinds and all delicious.
I enjoyed the liver crostini too but the best part was the lamb. The most delicious broiled lamb! will surely be back soon!