All reviews jigsaw puzzle back porch frittata breakfast was delicious home away from home main level reading room short walk from the beach coffee station large porch warm hosts felt like home b bs front porch wrap around porch great hosts public areas
Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

Spent 3 nights with my wife and two girls . The place is opulent, clean , cozy , an wonderfully authentic. Rooms are clean and the the B.B. has a great array of games to play with your family : billiards, puzzles , chess , group games etc. Jim and Mary and their extended family are great hosts and prepare delicious breakfast and treats . The town of Westbrook has many things to do ; outlet malls , bars , museums and surrounding cities to visit .
Would definitely advise for family or group or couples to visit and stay .

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
jimbrew, Owner at Captain Stannard House Bed and Breakfast Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2018

Thank you for taking he time to document your experience on Trip Advisor. We enjoyed having your family stay with us and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 3 December 2017

I had high expectations from reading other on line reviews. I am happy to say that I was NOT disappointed. Jim and Mary the owners are wonderful down to earth people. They run a charming, warm and inviting Inn. The common rooms have lots of fun games and space to relax and recharge. And lest not forget the home cooked hot breakfast, just wonderful!!!! I travel a lot for work and this is the first time it felt like home.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
jimbrew, Owner at Captain Stannard House Bed and Breakfast Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment! You sure hit the points we try to spoil your guests with.

Reviewed 14 November 2017

I loved this place. Stayed there in early November. The rooms are lovely and the inn has lots of character. The breakfast and general hospitality of the hosts were both top notch. And it's very close to the beach and some great restaurants (The Bistro!!!). My only complaint is that the walls are very thin and you can hear conversation and plumbing in adjacent rooms. This may disappear in summer with AC going. Both my friend, in another room, and I were bothered by the lack of sound-proofing. Especially given the price. But other than that, it's a winner.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank RWA02138
Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

My husband took me here for our Anniversary. We arrived later in the day, but someone came when we rang the bell. We were shown around the inn, and then up to our room. The first thing I noticed was our room smelled exceptionally clean. No heavy fragrance at all. The air conditioner was quiet, the bed was very comfortable, and everything was very clean. I've never seen colored towels in an Inn before, but I liked it!
**One thing I would suggest though, is having a USB connection somewhere in the room (alarm clock?) for charging cell phones,etc. No tv in our room, which actually turned out just fine! If I wanted to watch TV, I would stay at home.
Coffee is served at 8 a.m., which is a little late for me but there is a Dunkin Donuts very close by, across the street. Breakfast is served at 9 a.m. It was very prompt and consisted of two courses. It wasn't anything like I've seen before, typically you expect a continental breakfast. However, it turned out to be quite lovely. When I asked Jim for the recipe for his French toast, he gladly took my email and promptly sent it to me! I thought that was very generous, and sweet. The back porch is amazing with multiple rocking chairs and places to sit. One thing I did not care for was that anyone can just go outside and smoke a cigarette, or a cigar. It would be great if there was a smoking area, as I am allergic to cigarette smoke, and someone (in the family?) was smoking outside. Eh...better than inside, right?! Either way, we had a good time and our hosts were excellent! If cleanliness, kindness, good food, and a great bed are on the top of your list, I recommend this bed and breakfast!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

To celebrate my wife’s birthday, we decided to get away for a few days. Our destination was a B & B called The Captain Stannard House in Westbrook, CT. Our hosts, Jim and Mary, were ever gracious, outgoing, and caring. The house is vast with a large inviting porch, comfortable reading room, pool table and “ community” jigsaw puzzle. The room was welcoming and breakfasts were delicious. There was even some interest in reported paranormal occurrences within the multiple floors of the house.
It was a birthday memory that we will celebrate for many years to come.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
jimbrew, Owner at Captain Stannard House Bed and Breakfast Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Thank you for your comments and thank you for the compliments.

We enjopyed hosting you and it's always special to us when couples celebrate their life's events at the Captain Stannard House.

We hope to see you again.

Jim and Mary