“Some of the best Indian food I've ever had”
Review of Swagat - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Swagat
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 January 2010

There are several excellent Indian restaurants in this area, and Swagat stands out among them. The food I had was delicious. However, it was extremely spicy, so you might want to ask for a mild version. I was there close to closing time, so I think the workers were eager for me to leave. As such, the service wasn't the friendliest I've ever had. The restaurant is clean but small and decorated like an Ikea catalog. The real reason to go is the food and the price.

1  Thank coachvu

Reviewed 1 June 2009

We arranged our small-scale family wedding in Milford, and as we live well out-of-state were forced to use only internet reviews to pick a place to provide the food. The reviews of Swagat tempted us, and we were not disappointed. Not only did the owner happily agree to work on a Sunday, a day the restaurant was closed, to make our food, but the food he made was excellent. The Saag paneer was fresh and clean, the chicken korma (which I normally do not enjoy) was creamy and with some surprising spices, and the lamb rogan josh was wonderful, cooked on the bone but tender and very tasty. If we lived in the area, we'd go there every week to eat. As it is, living so far away, we can only hope that others are inspired by this review to visit. Don't be put off by the small, unassuming restaurant - the food is excellent here.

Reviewed 3 March 2009

We have been to a lot of Indian restaurants in Connecticut (and Boston, and New York) but can't remember ever having traditional Indian food as well-prepared as this. Many places around Connecticut are bland and terribly safe; Swagat is for hard-core lovers of spice. Not just hot spice, but pungent, and sweet, and complex spice. The dining room is not luxurious by any means, but it's got a comfortable, neighborhood feel, and the staff goes out of its way to be helpful. Some top choices include chicken 65 (red-hot cubes of chicken breast, like a spicy tandoori), masala dosa (a crepe filled with succulent potato), lamb in pickle sauce or with fruits, and to drink, mango lasi (mango juice and yogurt). The portions are sizeable, the prices very reasonable, and you can tell that great care is taken to use the freshest ingredients. If you're afraid of hot food, don't go here. This is not watered-down Indian food; this is the real deal.

1  Thank Dyova