“Do not judge a book by its cover”
Review of Swagat - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Swagat
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We go to Indian restaurants often and heard this was good so we gave it a try. My wife was not impressed at the run down nature of the place but since we were there we decided to stay and I am glad we did. Service was friendly and food was better than "highly rated" Indian places in new haven at 1/2 the cost. If you want an impressive restaurant stay away if you want great fresh spicy food this is your place.

Reviewed 30 July 2012

Everytime I go here, I ask the owner (John) to make me something different. I have eaten here roughly 15-20 times and it is always AMAZING. If you love spice and good food. Swagat is the place.

My two year old loves the Mango "lessi" !

Reviewed 19 March 2012

A Monday night dinner alone offered an unexpected pleasure at this tucked away Indian restaurant in West Haven. Flavorful and spicy tender chicken was mellowed by a generous helping of rice, more than necessary for one, despite the bargain price of $11. The owner/chef John took the time to chat, although reportedly Thursday through Saturday the place is hopping. Be forewarned: no alcohol appeared on the menu. Well worth the trip; makes me want to try John's very successful lunch cart. Don't go for the ambiance; this rating is based on the quality and presentation of the food alone. This restaurant has just celebrated its 10th anniversary, certainly a telling tribute for a small establishment.

Reviewed 6 July 2010

We love Indian food. Love. It. And out of all the places we've been (we had Indian food in Ho Chi Minh City once... that was strange), this place might be the best Indian food we've ever had. Since the focus here is pretty exclusively Southern Indian, this is a very good option away from the traditional Indian menu. Incredibly interesting flavors among their dishes. The people are very friendly and it's the kind of business you root for. Go check them out.

Reviewed 21 January 2010

There are several excellent Indian restaurants in this area, and Swagat stands out among them. The food I had was delicious. However, it was extremely spicy, so you might want to ask for a mild version. I was there close to closing time, so I think the workers were eager for me to leave. As such, the service wasn't the friendliest I've ever had. The restaurant is clean but small and decorated like an Ikea catalog. The real reason to go is the food and the price.

1  Thank coachvu