“Simply the BEST !”

Swagat
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Everytime I go here, I ask the owner (John) to make me something different. I have eaten here roughly 15-20 times and it is always AMAZING. If you love spice and good food. Swagat is the place.

My two year old loves the Mango "lessi" !

Reviewed 19 March 2012

A Monday night dinner alone offered an unexpected pleasure at this tucked away Indian restaurant in West Haven. Flavorful and spicy tender chicken was mellowed by a generous helping of rice, more than necessary for one, despite the bargain price of $11. The owner/chef John took the time to chat, although reportedly Thursday through Saturday the place is hopping. Be forewarned: no alcohol appeared on the menu. Well worth the trip; makes me want to try John's very successful lunch cart. Don't go for the ambiance; this rating is based on the quality and presentation of the food alone. This restaurant has just celebrated its 10th anniversary, certainly a telling tribute for a small establishment.

Reviewed 6 July 2010

We love Indian food. Love. It. And out of all the places we've been (we had Indian food in Ho Chi Minh City once... that was strange), this place might be the best Indian food we've ever had. Since the focus here is pretty exclusively Southern Indian, this is a very good option away from the traditional Indian menu. Incredibly interesting flavors among their dishes. The people are very friendly and it's the kind of business you root for. Go check them out.

Reviewed 21 January 2010

There are several excellent Indian restaurants in this area, and Swagat stands out among them. The food I had was delicious. However, it was extremely spicy, so you might want to ask for a mild version. I was there close to closing time, so I think the workers were eager for me to leave. As such, the service wasn't the friendliest I've ever had. The restaurant is clean but small and decorated like an Ikea catalog. The real reason to go is the food and the price.

1  Thank coachvu
Reviewed 1 June 2009

We arranged our small-scale family wedding in Milford, and as we live well out-of-state were forced to use only internet reviews to pick a place to provide the food. The reviews of Swagat tempted us, and we were not disappointed. Not only did the owner happily agree to work on a Sunday, a day the restaurant was closed, to make our food, but the food he made was excellent. The Saag paneer was fresh and clean, the chicken korma (which I normally do not enjoy) was creamy and with some surprising spices, and the lamb rogan josh was wonderful, cooked on the bone but tender and very tasty. If we lived in the area, we'd go there every week to eat. As it is, living so far away, we can only hope that others are inspired by this review to visit. Don't be put off by the small, unassuming restaurant - the food is excellent here.