New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Motel 6 Hartford / Vernon

Motel 6 Hartford / Vernon
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Vernon
Elizabeth, New Jersey
“Pleasant Stay for an Economical Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

We had a very pleasant stay at this hotel on a recent trip to Connecticut for a friend's graduation at UConn. The staff was very friendly and attentive. I was surprised by how nice and clean the rooms were! They were nicely decorated and the bed was incredibly comfortable. I had such a great night's sleep! Tons of shopping and restaurants nearby. What a great hotel at such an economical price. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2011

Note: This is now a Motel 6

Went over the weekend to visit some friends in the general UConn area. When we booked and saw the price tag ($53/night) we really didn't have high hopes. Especially after reading some of the reviews on here (which were admittedly for this property's previous operator).

The lobby was basically all I expected... although there's a TV set up with some of the most comfortable couches I've ever seen. At that price, I wasn't so much expecting a lobby but a business office, so I was pleasantly surprised. The hallways in this hotel smell VERY smoky... since some of the rooms are smoking rooms. However, once you get to your room, everything clears out and it smells fine.

We were pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness and amenities of the room. Air conditioning worked great, the mini fridge was a nice touch, and the bed was absolutely fantastic. Very, very comfortable. The bathroom was very clean and in great condition. The only problem was that the sheets and towels are pretty thin. Makes it a little hard to dry off after a shower, but asking the front desk for extra towels would solve that problem pretty easily. Wi-Fi is free and VERY fast for a hotel.

All in all, staying here was a fantastic experience. I know where to stay next time I'm ever in the Storrs area.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Lockport, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2010

We went to Vernon, Ct to attend a funeral. We had 2 adjoining rooms. There was a mouse in the room, which the evening desk person caught and extracted. He was very courteous.There were 3-4 ants on each bathroom floor and each hair dryer didn't work. Using the one phone that wasn't dead, we called the desk and they sent up a new hair dryer promptly. We decided not to try the continental breakfast. Beds were comfortable and clean. Showers were nice too.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Vernon hotels

Vernon,CT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2010

Here we go. I checked in and my room was upstairs(no Elevator) way in the back. My key did not work so luggage I and went all the back down to the desk the lady was rude when i told her my key did not work she punched the key machine 3 times hard and tossed the key to me and said NOW THAT KEY WILL WORK! so back upstairs I go with my luggage I enter my Smoking room to find out that I have no ashtray, So back down I go to the front desk I told the lady she freaked out and start slamming cupboards looking for an ashtray I said never mind I'll wait till the maids show up in the AM, so I go back to my room and find used soap,wash cloth and shampoo in the shower from the previous guest(YUCK). The telephone did not work for my whole stay ( one week) they said it was hit by lighting it hasn't lightninged since last fall5 months ago? I put a pizza box at the trash can near vending on Tuesday it is still there today Saturday.(5Days) My room and the whole building has a musty smell. The trash in the breakfast room is not dumped daily so it smells of spoiled milk. AND DURING MY ENTIRE STAY THEY DID NOT FLY THE AMERICAN FLAG ONE TIME OUTSIDE ON THE FLAG POLE WHEN I ASKED THE GIRLE AT THE FRONT DESK WHY? SHE SAID I DON'T KNOW ? WE'RE INDIAN OWNED. UN REAL!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank slip1by
Upstate NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2010

I refused to pay my bill.
After a very emotional day, at my mother's funeral and dinner afterward, I returned to our room at 12:30 AM, and decided to wash up before bed. I was running the water in the sink, and my feet started getting wet. To my dismay, when I looked under the sink, the water was running out of the pipes, onto the floor, and subsequently all over my feet ! I walked to the front desk to inquire if there were any towels available to "sop up" the mess. I couldn't CALL the front desk, since from the moment we arrived there was no phone service. The desk clerk did give me some extra bathmats and I spent the next 20 minutes on my knees in the bathroom cleaning up the mess. I must admit, he did offer to change our rooms, but at well after midnight, it was not a task I chose to do. After my day, all I wanted to do was go to sleep.Looking closely under the sink, while I was cleaning the mess, I could see there had been a haphazard attempt to repair the pipe in the past. There was caulk all over the fittings & pipes.. Since I do know a bit about plumbing, it was plain to see the pipe leading out of the drain didn't fit at all, it was too small. The compression fitting where the pipe went into the wall was also not the right size, and that was where the water was pouring out.
The next morning I attempted to call my brother, who had also stayed in the hotel. Still no phone service.
Upon comparing notes over breakfast at a restaurant, since there was no food left at the complimentary breakfast, I my brother told me they had to change rooms 3 times the previous day, and make several trips to the desk to try and get an electronic key that worked. We had also made 3 trips with OUR electronic key, before the nice clerk (a lady, on the day shift) got one that would work. The funny thing is after reading one of the reviews, the room he was in had the same crooked faucet issue, plus it was not bolted down, and they had to steady it with one hand while turning it on with the other !
The "high speed internet" was non existent. I tried to hook up about 15 times to no avail.
I certainly hope corporate will address these issues with the franchisee. The clerk did tell me she would give the complaint form to "management, when they come in on Monday" I will be mailing a copy of this complaint to the hotel as well. I do not expect to be billed for my nights stay....wishful thinking I suppose ...

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vernon
0.9 km away
2.5 km away
Residence Inn Hartford Manchester
2.6 km away
Courtyard Hartford Manchester

Been to Motel 6 Hartford / Vernon? Share your experiences!