“47th Anniversary Dinner”
Review of Breakwater

Breakwater
Ranked #6 of 30 Restaurants in Stonington
Price range: US$8 - US$30
Description: BREAKWATER at Stonington Harbor is a waterfront restaurant located on the Connecticut shoreline in the Stonington Borough. BREAKWATER features seafood & more, specialty cocktails, stunning sunsets & views of Stonington Harbor & Fishers Island Sound.
Reviewed 2 July 2018

My wife & I travelled to Stonington for a couple of days to celebrate our 47th wedding anniversary. We had reservations for 7:00 on the night of our anniversary on the deck of Breakwater overlooking Stonington harbor.

It was a beautiful evening to sit outside. Sunny & warm, but not humid. Perfect for a meal outside. We arrived at 7:00. An easy walk from our Inn just a few hundred feet away. We were seated immediately on the edge of the dock only a few feet from the water toward the rear of the restaurant.

We first ordered drinks which arrived shortly after our, friendly with a nice smile, waitress took the order. My wife ordered a bloody mary and I ordered a cape codder. My wife's drink was very good. Mine seemed lacking a healthy shot of vodka. Of course, we asked the waitress to snap a photo with us toasting 47 years. With the backdrop of the sun setting the picture was a good one.

We started our meal with the fred calamari appetizer. The cherry peppers & marinara side sauce was delicious for dipping the crispy calamari. A tasty start for dinner. We both enjoyed our app.

For the main event, my wife ordered the lobster mac & cheese. I went with baked Stonington sea scallops. Stonington sea scallops are known to be the very best. I had to give them a try to find out for myself.

Sitting on the deck was very nice. I got some terrific sunset photos with the beautiful harbor in the foreground. Everyone was taking advantage of this "kodak moment" as diners ambled up next to our table snapping dozens of photos. The picture taking didn't bother us as we made light conversation with folks around our dinner table.

Our meals arrived in a reasonable amount of time as did our next round of drinks. I went with a bloody mary which was great. My wife thought her lobster mac & cheese was delicious. My baked scallops were equally good. But, Digby scallops in Nova Scotia, are the best. Stonington scallops are good but Digby's are the best.

We took our time eating and enjoying the scene and atmosphere on the deck. Sitting on the deck proved a good decision. It helped make our anniversary dinner a special one to remember.

If you are in or around Stonington try Breakwater restaurant on a summers evening. The food is good and the harbor with sunset is special.

Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

Stopped here with some NE friends who had been here when it was owned by other owners. Greeted quickly and sat outside by the water. Beautiful day with a beautiful view. Chad, our waiter, was attentive and friendly. We had two specials, blackened swordfish tacos, a cod sandwich and shrimp tacos. Food was excellent!! More than enough to feed a hungry appetite! Had a small accident involving wine being dumped down my wife’s back. And it was handled very professionally with Tina, the manager coming by to apologize profusely for this. Chad could not have been more upset with himself but it was an accident and no one was to blame! It’s why it’s called an accident!! Both Chad and Tina were very professional in the way it was handled. And they treated us accordingly. My wife was given a t shirt to replace her soaked shirt. Tina also paid for my wife’s meal. All was well!! Would definitely recommend this restaurant for its food, view and especially their very caring staff!!

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Had read a couple of mixed reviews. Our meal was perfect. The mahi and the rare yellowfin,seared tuna were yummy. Bread was good,server friendly. first i didnt like fact our requested outdoor,shady table was actually mostly in the sun. As sun got lower in sky,that extra heat on that breezy day was perfect.

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

On a dock, looking over Stonington harbor to a sunset view, is a great start. Unfortunately, the bar is chronically understaffed, the service slow, and the food quality inconsistent. Too bad.

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

This is a great place. We were staying at the Inn next door, but would come here if we were not. Food was good and view excellent. Service was kind, but a bit slow. Several complaints around us, but we were satisfied.

Been to Breakwater? Share your experiences!