“Need to talk to the owner”

El Sombrero Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #68 of 206 Restaurants in Southington
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 May 2018

So I am a loss for words. I have been going to El Sombrero for over 15 years. Love love their food. Three weeks ago on a Monday evening(May 7, 2018) two friends and I met there for dinner. It was not a busy dining room yet had to wait over five minutes to be seated!!!! I ordered the wet burrito Grande which didn't look like it typically looks, usually it's a about a 10 inch or so burrito and a very generous portion. Well this evening I received two very small burritos so I felt the portion was definitely not the same. Disappointing of course. Not being consistent as I was there one month prior and I got the huge burrito as I always have since I always order the wet burrito when I go there because I love it. It was not busy and there were only a total of two tables. Server which was a female never followed up with how our meals were. Again disappointing. At the end of the meal we asked for our check and asked our female waitress to put my meal in my debit card and we had cash for the other two meals. Totally screwed it up, yet figured mistake what r you going to do. Well, today I went to El Sombrero I am so upset!!!! I called around 4:15 to place an order and stated to the female that I wanted to get the wet burrito and she said they don't have that on their menu. I said I always order this, again been going there for over 15 years. I said ok I will check your menu online and call u back which I did and placed my order for a different burrito. I called around 4:15 while I was at my daughter's dentist appt in Southington. So we went to El Sombrero and was looking forward to picking up the take out order and go home. I go into the bar area and I tell them I am there for my order. They came back and say we never got an order from you. So now I am really annoyed. I called the order in so I didn't have to wait. The manager Francisco said I am sorry. I finally put my order in and they do have wet burritos on their menu which I ordered there in person. Again Francisco offered my a free cocktail which I declined yet I said I would like some guacamole and salsa. He said well your food is here so you are all set now. The chips they gave us was such a small amount and I checked my order before I left and they forgot the salsa. Pointed that out and they got me one. Never got me the guacamole. Paid for my meal and left so annoyed. I left there at 5 pm. I then called to speak to the owner. Gal that answered the phone hung up on me. Called again no owner yet spoke to Francisco again. Told him how I wanted to speak to the owner. His response was on he may not be back in weeks or months. Well this owner needs to check in and response to my email because this service I have experienced is awful!!!

Date of visit: May 2018

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

My daughter & I went here for dinner expecting a fun experience, as we have had in the past, but we were disappointed.

First clue was that it was a ghost town in there—very few tables filled.

Next, the waitress brought us chips & salsa that were very tasty followed by a peach daiquiri that had NO ALCOHOL in it. The waitress disputed that, but had alcohol added to it.

We then waited forever for our food. My daughter ordered chicken enchiladas, but they brought her BEEF enchiladas. We let the waitress know, so she brought it to the kitchen. She returned with the dish after a few minutes and told us that it WAS chicken! It was brown, stringy, and tasted like beef, but they denied it! Who does that?!? My daughter thought it tasted good, so she kept it. I had fish tacos and they were okay.

We waited for the mariachis to appear, but they never did. Apparently they don’t do that anymore. Another bummer.

Overall, it was okay, but I would not return. :(

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank HappyCTmama
Reviewed 23 February 2018

Feb 22 national Margarita day.... So i figured i would try out this new Mexican spot in honor of the special day...First entering and having a nice young lady create room for me and a friend at the bar was a good start.. But that is where the good vibes stopped... We had to wait for a drink for a short while as the bartender did not greet us or even make eye contact..Not understanding as the bar wasn't over crowded.. However when the bartender was ready to acknowledge us he gave us a look like OK GO AHEAD!! So i ordered 2 house margaritas( he confusingly asked on the rock ,frozen or with salt or something like that ) it was clear that i was confused but never did he stop to clarify my confusion and just rushed off... Not sure of what just happened i waited for our drinks...What i thought was communicated was house margarita with salt was actually a frozen margarita with salt...
No biggie right wrong !!! When i was able to again make eye contact he still didn't address me .. It wasn't till i actually called him out to grab his attention .. It was as if he knew what i was gonna say ...
I said excuse me i'm sorry we must have misunderstood each other i wanted just a margarita with salt on rim not frozen.. He sharply replied that i would have to pay for the frozen one also... I then asked if he was the manager which he replied yes he was and if a wanted the owners card with his info ... I replied no your name is enough .. I asked where his customer service skills where as this should have been a quick fix under the term miscommunication ...He just walked away..
As i looked to catch his attention I asked if i could get the bill .. He stated that the drinks were on the house..After he made a big scene no thank you .. So my friend and i got up and left....If this is the type of person running this place no wonder why they have such bad reviews,,... My advice get this guy out of there so your business can move forward.....Wont be going back there...

Date of visit: February 2018
2  Thank MASTERST82
Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

I don’t know what these people are reviewing. My friend and I had lunch here and it was absolutely delicious and service was great. I had the chapas which came with a guacamole tostada and a veggie chimichanga, rice and beans. Everything came out quick and it was hot and delicious. Service was great, we told him we were in a little hurry and he took good care of us. Also the margaritas were spot on. I’d come back.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 8 November 2017

Before Eddie passed away, they had a Mariachi band on Saturdays, not any more. We were looking forward to some Mexican music, Food was mediocre.

Date of visit: October 2017