All reviews iced tea frette towels pork chop classic new england northwest corner race track continental breakfast mini fridge comfy bed garden room fresh fruit suite ct ottoman lime closet desk
Reviewed 29 December 2017

Great place to stay whether you are looking for weekend break or just passing through. Food is exceptional, service is attentive and polite. The tap room is quaint, the restaurant is relaxing and the provisions store is so handy to grab a coffee of quick bite. The rooms are private, particularly rooms 1-5, which each has it's own entrance behind the hotel and close to the car park. They even cleaned the snow from my car so we could just zip in and out without any hassle.

Room Tip: Rooms 1-5 have there own outside entrance behind the hotel and just 2-0 feet from a main entrance.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2017

On December 4 I booked a room at the White Hart Inn for a special birthday dinner and night for my husband. I asked in the email for a reservation in the dining room for Tuesday, December 26. We had eaten lunch and brunch in the pub area before and it was fun but I knew they had a nice dining room and thought it would be perfect for his birthday. On December 5 I got a confirming email and it said that the dining room was only open on Friday and Saturday. So, I called on the morning of December 5 to ask if the dining room was available on Tuesday, December 26. I was told by a young woman that the email was out of date and yes the dining room would be open. I said "good, because I would cancel my reservation and go elsewhere if the dining room wasn't open as it was a special dinner for my husband's birthday." I then called back a couple of weeks later to confirm my reservation and request a dessert with a candle in it after our dinner in the dining room. We got to the White Hart on December 26 and got a beautiful room (for $450/night with tax). We went down to have dinner and were told only the Tap room (bar) and a back "garden room" were open and not the dining room. I was stunned. They were apologetic but acted like I misunderstood. I did not. Their staff member was ill trained or just lied, I don't know which. They assured us it was the same menu as the dining room. If that is true, I don't know why they get such good ratings. It was more of a bar menu with a couple of entrees. I had a risotto with salmon that was a special and it was not good. My husband had the scallops that were on the menu and they were mediocre. The atmosphere of the garden room was like a big hall with bad lighting and not even candles on the tables, plus there were a lot of families with small children making noise - not what we had looked forward to. The man who seated us gave us a free drink and didn't charge us for my husband's birthday piece of cake and they sent a $10 bottle of Proseco to our room - nice tries but it didn't make up for our disappointing experience. Our two room suite was lovely but there was a lot more road noise from Rt 44 than I would have expected and you didn't even get a full breakfast in the morning. So, all in all, I would not recommend this hotel or restaurant unless you want a pint of beer and a burger. We travel all around the world so we have a lot to compare to. Thanks for ruining my husband's birthday!

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Helen10054
Reviewed 9 December 2017

the rooms were decently appointed with very comfortable beds and good linens but very dark with 2 lamps so bring your own lighting if you like well lit spaces. Also bring your own breakfast (as the breakfast that was included in our room rate was a croissant and an apple and some indifferent coffee). A tea/coffee maker in the room would have been a great addition. The staff was helpful. Provisions their "all day" dining place is a popular handout and has some great items on the Menu so we had a "paid" breakfast every morning there.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 November 2017

We arrived expecting a great atmosphere and were welcomed perfunctorily, with a quick hello and an escort to our room in the annex. We felt we were interrupting the receptionist (maybe because the last hotel at which we stayed was characterized by personal attention). The inn and the room itself were charming and tastefully appointed, quite a contrast to the reception. It is obviously a great place for a drink (unless you arrive on Thanksgiving when they close early for the staff) or a meal, but as overnight guests, we felt we were low priority. The wall between our room (#1) and the next was so thin that we could hear the guests in the room next door. Complimentary croissant and coffee in the morning was fine, only if you want chocolate at 7AM. When I asked for a plain croissant on Friday morning, I was told I could buy it in the restaurant ("That's the way we do it.") For $250-$300 a night, we expected more ... and it could have been so easy!

Room Tip: Not sure if walls are thicker in the main building.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank steve h
Reviewed 15 November 2017

If you would like a tranquil weekend away from your high-power Manhattan hedge fund, this is your place. Serene, quiet, friendly, oozing tasteful New England charm. My suite was quite lovely with interesting prints, a comfy bed, very nice lamps, and one very comfortable chair which I promptly moved to the living room. Nice bottles of water and unique iced tea in the mini-fridge. No glass in the bathroom which I always find strange. And a specific peeve of mine - Frette towels are wonderful, but after they have been washed a million times they feel like furry Naugahyde.

The hotel dining room offers an innovative menu of interesting specials and old standards. Both the cream of cauliflower soup and the fish and chips were marvelous, and the experience was heightened by a wonderful young waiter, Rory, who should go on to do great things.

Since I was there for a Board Meeting I settled in to do some work, at which time I discovered there was no desk or potential work-space in the entire suite. Ah, well, into my wonderful chair with an ottoman for a desk and onto the internet. Then a huge disappointment - abysmal WiFi. Impossible to work in any manner beyond the 19th century. But of course that matched perfectly with the setting. For a relaxing weekend, wonderful; but if you want more than trees and trails, caveat emptor.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business