“A Fine Pub with a Reliable Kitchen and Friendly, Professional Staff”
Review of Wood-N-Tap

Wood-N-Tap
Ranked #2 of 76 Restaurants in Rocky Hill
Price range: US$9 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Bar, Grill
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 31 May 2016

I visited the Wood-n-Tap twice in mid-May 2016 and was pleased in both instances.

The Rocky Hill store is the local outpost of this small chain of casual dining restaurants, perched in a strip shopping center precisely eight easy miles south of Hartford on I-91. This is a raucous restaurant, as are most of the Wood-n-Tap stores, with flat-screens hanging from the walls and crowds around the bar yacking about their days, their loves, their work and their dreams. The same menu and specials are shared among all the restaurants in the chain, so the meals are predictably tasty and consistent in quality; but haut cuisine it is not.

Despite the voluminous size of this restaurant — including extensive outdoor seating — at dinner-time every day of the week you consistently will find a gaggle of prospective diners clustered around the entrance vestibule, petitioners pleading their cases before the three or four handsome young ladies (always ladies and always smiling, never a guy) who study their table maps and award the choice locations. I don’t know why there always is a wait, but be prepared.

My most recent visit was a corporate event with 18 hungry salesmen bursting onto their scene. We had been assigned an entire room in the back of the restaurant and that served us well. We had three servers helping the manage our small crowd and they did an excellent, speedy and professional tag-team job. The drinks showed up quickly; the dinners orders were taken promptly and the correctly-prepared dishes appeared in front of the proper persons without the forehead-slapping, grimace-inducing, “Now who ‘s having the salmon?”

My personal favorites at the Wood-n-Tap are the bourbon sirloin and the chicken marsala; both are generous portions with excellent flavors. I also highly favor their baby back ribs. Several in my group ordered simple burgers and others tried the pizzas and one fellow had a giant salad. Everybody enjoyed their dinners and after two hours of good-natured teasing and shop-talk we retired back to our hotel, tummies full and hearts content.

You won’t go wrong at the Wood-n-Tap.

Reviewed 23 May 2016

Consistently the best local chain. Plenty of great food and good beer selection. My go-to place when I'm looking for a fun, reliable, and great restaurant.

Reviewed 20 May 2016

Our party of 6 planned a reunion to catch up on life events and selected Wood-N-Tap for it's proximity and menu. Unfortunately, it was so loud in the dining room we could hardly have any discussion at all. I could only speak to one person at a time and only to the two seated next to me. The waitress even had trouble taking our orders. Something would have to be done with acoustics for me to ever return. The food was average for that type of restaurant but the spinach salad was almost inedible due to the long hard stems that had not been trimmed at all. There were no specials and there is only one kind of Merlot so don't expect anything close to a good beverage selection. Easy access off the highway and in the middle of the state but we will not be returning.

Reviewed 19 May 2016 via mobile

The food here is a cut above everything in the area except the most expensive (ie the Max restaurants). Yes the place is loud but the service was good.

Reviewed 13 May 2016

Food O.K but not over average. Loud . Staff needs time for serving. A bit chaotic but clean. Facility not too big. Therefore it seems always to be too full.

Been to Wood-N-Tap? Share your experiences!