“Excellent food, excellent service”

Sharpe Hill Vineyard
Ranked #3 of 9 Restaurants in Pomfret
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

A friend and I came for a wine tasting over the summer and had a lot of fun while there. We walked up the hill through their vineyards and got to see some amazing views while we ate and sipped on wine. The area is so beautiful and the grounds are as well. We decided to make a reservation for a future dinner while we were there that day. We had dinner last night and I cannot say enough great things about our experience. First, what great ambience! The lighting was perfect and the setting is rustic but elegant at the same time. The service has to be the best around. You can tell that they take great pride in making sure that their guests are happy and that everything is just perfect. The food was absolutely amazing. We had smoked trout for an appetizer which was perfectly smokey and tender. I had the filet, my husband had lamb, and our friends had the shrimp creole and the Delmonico. Everything was cooked to perfection and even the sides were amazing and I can tell you that I've never been to a restaurant and thought "wow these sides are good" until having eaten the corn and ratatouille here. We each had a dessert (I know, we went all out). Godiva chocolate cheesecake, a chocolate hazelnut torte, carrot cake and a buttercream and raspberry layer cake. Dessert was just as amazing as the meals. On top of all this, the service was exceptional. We will definitely return some day and highly recommend having dinner here.

1  Thank MN198409

Reviewed 4 September 2017

This was our second visit, and are just amazed with the grounds, We were welcomed with warm smiles and big hellos. We sat outside for our tastings and Mitch could not have been more pleasant and knowledgeable. He explained in great detail all of the wines and went into additional information about the history of the winery and how it came to be in their possession. We left with several bottles of their chardonnays and and a few St Croix.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

I'm not a big fan of their red wines, but some of the whites are quite good, especially the Dry Riesling. We finally visited for dinner and... wow, just, wow. The lamb chops might just be the best I've ever had. The fruit and cheese appetizer was a little weird as an appetizer, but goes well with the wine orientation; just be aware that it's enough for four people. Even there, the presentation and quality was flawless.

Other than being in the middle of nowhere - perfect.

Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

We did the full tasting of 13 wines. Very good and the most reasonably priced at a CT vineyard that I've seen. They charge a $5 corkage if you drink their wine on their property though, I guess they consider it a faculty fee as they can make more money on tastings. Come see Mitchell carry 5+ bottles while pouring tastings outside...its quite a talent! And bonus: they welcomed our little well behaved pup!

Reviewed 4 June 2017

The setting is picturesque; the wine is good; but the service left much to be desired. We have been to Sharpe Hill before and enjoyed sitting along the field while sipping the wine. Today we were seated in the garden area which is not pretty. The pours were skimpy and the service very slow. When we asked questions, the waiter was snippy with his answers, or should I say "sharp", pun intended! We brought a friend from Florida with us. We will not go back nor will she. I do not expect the wait staff to jump through hoops for me, but I do expect respect and we did not get that at Sharpe Hill today.

Originally we had intended to order a bottle after the tasting until my Florida friend noticed that the menu stated that Sharpe Hill charges a $5 corking fee for their wine. That is an extra $5 to drink their product at their vineyard. Skimpy pours, sharp-tongue waiters and corking fees are not for me.

6  Thank willmar416