“Exceptional Food”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 6 August 2018

The hallmark of The Cottage is their rotating menu. Right now, there is a lot of fish on the summer menu. All the ingredients are so fresh and every meal--I was there for dinner with five other people--looked delicious. As one reviewer stated, never had a bad meal there. Serving staff and owners are very friendly and helpful. Didn't have room for dessert, but the coffee was outstanding.

Reviewed 30 June 2018

A family run restaurant with Mom working the front of the house and the chef daughter in the back. This is not a place for the diet conscious, but worthy of the occasional splurge. My elk burger was perfectly cooked as order and came with a few fried pickle chips. I could see how these could be addicting. They also have a night with New Orleans themed items – e.g., po’boys. While just off the main street, you can miss the “house” restaurant. I highly recommend giving it a try. I know I will be returning.

Reviewed 28 May 2018

I have never had a bad meal at the Cottage Restaurant. Family owned and wonderful service. My server is Samatha. What a great waitress. Always asking how my Mom was doing who was at Apple Rehab. She and the whole family are delightful.

Reviewed 26 May 2018

My earlier review awarded 5 stars. This continues it. There is no substitute for an on-site owner, whose daughter is also the excellent chef. At The Cottage, staff does not simply say they care; they really do care.

Where, outside of Puerto Rico, can you get an octopus taco? Incredible beyond belief, just the right spices, but not too hot. This alone makes for 5-stars.

The specialty drinks are worth trying. For example, a special Bloody Mary had tequila, not vodka.

The lobster roll was wonderful. Had veggies in it, and not buttered to death. Just right. It came with a Rhode Island clam chowder, but NOT your usual bland RI. This one had potatoes and onions and was incredibly flavorful.

Onion rings are not the greasy kind, but crisp and a wonderful complement to the meal. If nothing else, the chef can do everything than can be done with an onion.

Cole slaw was perfect, not drowned in cream.

Now came the apple fritter for dessert, topped with vanilla ice cream and some caramel. There was a very slight delay, as it was baked that moment. Can you imagine a perfect just-made apple fritter with vanilla? You could get one in France at triple the cost; this one was the best.

What more can be said about The Cottage? Where else can you get 5-star food and service at 3 star prices?

In the 1960's and 1970's, when I wanted to impress someone, I took them to the Al Mitchell House restaurant in Simsbury. Sadly, Al is gone now, and you can't even find a mention of his place on the internet. But old-timers remember. At the Al Mitchell House, you were truly his guest. The only difference was a check at the end, but in all other respects, Al treated customers as his personal friends. Stories about him are legion, but I won't go into them right here.

The Cottage reminds me of the Al Mitchell House. You like it, and you WANT to be there.

Recommended without hesitation. Right on Rt. 10, and easy parking in back. Reservations suggested.

Reviewed 27 February 2018

My wife and I went for dinner after a movie, I had the Lamb chops which were done to perfection, my wife chose the fish special which was hake over a seaweed type salad which was out of this world, our salads were excellent, she chose a fried oyster appetizer which was served hot and not over done but very light, I choose a bowl of seafood chowder which had a slight bit of spice just the right amount. our server was very knowledgeable of the menu and was very pleasant and helpful, this is a must for my wife and i.