“I hate Indian food, but...”
Review of Punjabi Kadhai

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Punjabi Kadhai
Ranked #45 of 114 Restaurants in North Haven
Reviewed 5 February 2017

The first time I had Indian food was over 35 years ago (India Palace) in New Haven on Howe St. I had the runs in the middle of dinner. Stayed away from Indian food for decades. Don't get me wrong, I love spicy food (Thai comes to mind) but too much is too much. The mixtures of spices... not for me. Tried Tali in New Haven about a year go... HATED it. Then I drove by Punjabi Kadhai on my way to Home Depot. Reluctantly took my wife there, (by the way she loves Indian food) and I LOVED it!! Have been back at least 3 times in the past 4 months. Their food in Punjabi from northern India not the tropical south, hence the seasoning is not crazy spicy. I plan to visit again and again. Strongly recommend.

Reviewed 25 January 2017

Food quality is very good. we liked the buffet on Saturday. Good variety of vegetarian and non-vegetarian options.

Reviewed 11 January 2017

The wife and I went here for dinner recently after I had patronized their lunch buffet a few times. Can I just say that it's nice when they don't cater to the American palate too much with their seasonings--it was spicy, and that's how I like it. The waiter even thought I was joking when I said, make it hot, like you like it. He came around later and he said too hot, and I just jokingly shook my head and said "no, just right".

Probably the most authentic and flavorful Indian in the area. Only Cumin in Hamden serves food as good as this place. Excellent!

Reviewed 29 September 2016

Good decor. Spacious restaurant. They have lunch buffet. They have a monitor that continuously displays the different items on the menu so you know what you are getting.
The pricing is very good and competitive.
Nice selection of items.My only issue was the curry was a bit sweet, I love my curries to be spicy.
They deliver as well. Worth a visit

Reviewed 24 March 2016 via mobile

Horrible experience this evening. I simply wanted vegetarian (dairy free) lentil soup that I have at many of the other Indian restaurants I frequent. The order was placed to go and upon inspection in the car, I determined it was not lentil soup rather Mulligatawny soup. This would be fine, however not what I wanted or ordered. This clearly had a cream base, although the extremely rude owner reassured it was coconut not dairy. The point it, it was not what I ordered. The time lapse was approximately five minutes and he would not exchange the soup for a different item. Very dissatisfied. While the food might be comparable to other excellent Indian restaurants in the area Royal India, Darbar, etc. the service is completely lacking. Don't waste your time or money, go to an establishment that wants your business and cares if your satisfied.