All reviews sea view tour group internet connection room was large restaurant staff lovely hotel highly recommend this hotel sea front bed was very comfortable an early flight boardwalk casino hotel is situated across the road swimming pool one night stay buffet breakfast garden route
Reviewed 17 April 2018

I had seven nights here in March for the cricket at St Georges Park, SA v Australia. From my weeks stay which was my second visit, I consider it to be a really nice hotel and I am quite particular. Due to a flight I had no choice but to arrive around 10.15am. By chance I saw Cassandra the very nice and helpful General Manager who assured me my room would be ready within the hour which it was. In the interim I sat in the open area of the very pleasant bar facing the sea across the parkland and had a cappuccino on them.

I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised with my standard sea view room (427). Large, very nicely appointed, plenty of room for clothes and a good sized bathroom with shower over the bath. Lovely view of the sea from the large window that goes down to the floor thus enabling you to sit and take in the views. - couldn't have been happier with the room.
The main and only real disappointment with the hotel was the buffet dinners - no a la carte options. Quite simply they were always verging on being poor - why only one roast option? and no standard 'european' vegetable choices. The dearth and choice of desserts was close to abysmal - not surprisingly the restaurant was always quiet with the exception of the odd tour group. No one was discernably in charge and the service was lethargic. I believe the De Kelder restaurant which is sort of in the hotel building, near the entrance is supposed to be good.

The restaurant is large and pleasant with nice views out to the sea from some tables. Breakfasts are better but only average - the hot buffet holders need to have a card saying what they are. You can get a nice burger & chips and glass of wine in the large bar which has comfortable chairs. There is car parking front and back and it is certainly 'guarded' at the front.

A real plus is that the hotel is situated in a very nice area, slightly away from the main hotel area and just across the road from the very relaxing Pollock Beach. The Summerstrand Shopping Centre is about a 5 minute walk away - not big but there is a large Pick N Pay supermarket, CNA newagents and very importantly a good liquor shop. It is about a 10 minute walk in the other direction to the Boardwalk Entertainment Centre with the casino and numerous eateries. The airport is about an easy 15 minute drive as is the cricket ground.

I found the staff helpful and would mention Cassandra, the General Manager who ensured my room was ready on arrival, Nikita on reception, Khaya who sorted out my Wifi and Bulelwa who had a fantastic memory.

In summary I was very happy with my 7 day stay here but please Cassandra try and improve the dinner buffets - however you are still a star. I would willingly stay here again.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room - 427 was a very good room
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 April 2018

Very nice place to stay in Port Elizabeth. We where treated very well and enjoyed our stay for the IRONMAN Competition with our family. Had a reservation snag entirely our fault on one of the rooms and thanks to the office front desk managers especially Nozuko saved the day. They also had early 4am breakfast available for competitors. As a Marriott gold member you get some of the perks as well..loved this place.

Stayed: April 2018
Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

Had a quick one night stay at the hotel. The hotel is situated on the busy road at Port Elizabeth where there are number of hotels to stay. The WiFi speeds were decent, breakfast spread had diverse options for vegetarians. The hotel has plenty of meeting room options for business and MICE travellers. Just as you cross the road, you can try options for jogging and running etc. overall, a nice experience would come back again to experience the property.

Stayed: April 2018
Reviewed 12 March 2018

Great location, friendly staff, adequate room. We stayed here using Marriot airmiles points for the purposes of a family emergency. The hotel leaves a lot to be desired. The room we were given was tacky, tired and in desperate need of an update. No iron/ ironing broad in the room, no gowns and slippers. The towels were dinky little things. The staff, while very friendly, did not understand their own systems and managed to inconvenience us having to check out and in again every day we were there. The view looked out over an empty lot filled with rubble.

Wifi is patchy and slow and signs you out every few minutes.

The rooftop pool is more like a small pond overlooking the air conditioning vents on the roof.

Breakfast in the dining room cost R195 - outrageous! And room service was exorbitant (if you do stay here, do not bother to eat here - there are plenty of great places to eat in PE close by at a fraction of the cost for much better food).

The outside bar terrace is quite nice - when a giant tour bus isn't parked smack bang in front of the hotel blocking the view!

If you are paying to stay here - don't! the Radisson blu is down the road and is cheaper and a genuine four star hotel - shop around, you can get much better deals in PE!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 March 2018

Stayed at this hotel for one night on a B&B basis. Had an evening meal at adjoining De Kelder restaurant and therefore didn't venture far from the hotel.

Large hotel with many rooms looking out on to the seafront. We were fortunate to have a large corner room on the 7th floor with two windows one of which faced out to sea.

The hotel and our room were both very clean. Staff very pleasant and efficient. Checking in and out undertaken with the minimum of delay. Good buffet breakfast of the usual variety.

Swimming pool more of a plunge pool so don't expect to be able to go for a swim.

Stayed: February 2018
Sharon B, Front Office Manager at Protea Hotel Port Elizabeth Marine, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Dear Raymond

Thank you for taking the time to review our Property, all fee back is greatly appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel whenever your travels bring you back to our fair City -Port Elizabeth

Kind regards