“Very nice dinner”
Review of Atelier Florian

Atelier Florian
Reserve with OpenTable
Atelier Florian is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 589 Restaurants in New Haven
Reviewed 28 August 2016

My wife and I had dinner here on a Saturday night. The restaurant was busy, but I wouldn't say "packed". We had a reservation and were seated right away. The restaurant has a bistro ambiance and the energy is good. None of the cocktails or beers really sang to me, and I thought the cocktails were the only really overpriced thing on the menu, so I passed. We came here for the moules frites (Belgian style mussels and fries) which is one of the specialties of the restaurant. For appetizers, I had the crispy brussels sprouts which were sensational, and my wife had the seafood chowder which she liked very much. The mussels come in 4 varieties, and I had a Thai inspired curry style mussels while my wife had a French style tomatoes infused mussels. The mussels are served in what I would describe as an individual "cauldron" the lid is removed and the fragrant steam wafts through the air. Yum yum! The mussels were delicious, and you are given a lot of them. While mussels are generally a less expensive shellfish, I though the quality of the dish was value at the price point. The french fries were great, too. We were both very satisfied and plan to return. I sat near the kitchen and could see everything going out- the chicken, lobster, fish, everything looked great. There was only one dessert on offer which surprised me, and although it was declined a complimentary mini dish of chocolate mousse to close the meal was appreciated. There were a couple of slight service missteps (the newbie waiter who handed my wife the peppermill to grind the pepper instead of doing it himself) that were overlooked because of the nice atmosphere and overall great food and decent service.

Reviewed 22 August 2016

Went for a late dinner on a Saturday. Decor is clean and inviting. The menu is well thought out and seems to allow for a focus on fresh ingredients. Ordered mussels for the table which were excellent. Service was attentive and everyone seemed to be upbeat and happy. The freshness of all of the food was evident. Would highly recommend giving this place a try.

1  Thank Bruce L
Reviewed 19 August 2016 via mobile

Always a pleasure to go to Atelier Florian to get a couple of nice entrées and cocktails ! We always sit at the bar and we love it. We have had a few different things from the menu and they were always fresh and very good. Oysters are good, sometimes too creamy but... 3.50$ each.. A little bit expensive. Still very good with the bread & butter they serve with it.
Cocktails are okay and you can basically get whatever you want even if not on the menu. The bartender was lovely and made our evenings perfect every time. Cosy place, the music is basically always the same so it would be nice to change it from time to time.

2  Thank Rita13_34
Reviewed 17 August 2016

I've only had lunch here (twice) but it's a good simple menu. The salmon/cod sliders are good. The bartender makes a good martini.

The upstairs dining room has more space between tables and is quieter.

1  Thank cidra60
Reviewed 14 August 2016

We had a mixed experience when we went to Atelier Florian for dinner Sunday evening. The space itself was modern and inviting. The upstairs seating area was not being used though since it was not that busy when we were there.

Because we were a party of 8, we were seated at a long table in a nook at the back of the first floor. The problem though was that the space was a couple feet too narrow to be properly served. All night long, out servers either had to try and squeeze by some us to serve dishes, refill drinks, or clear dishes, or we had to constantly pass dishes over each other. It was not the servers’ faults and they kept apologizing; this was simply not a wide enough space for more than a table of 4.

The servers were friendly but service itself was a bit uneven. It took a while for us to get more than 2 menus and only one us of received a small piece of paper that had their nightly specials; otherwise we would not have even known that there were any specials since they were never mentioned by our server. We ordered a bottle of wine and several soft drinks but it took forever for our drinks to be served, at least a good 10 to 15 minutes after we ordered. The bottle of red wine that we ordered was quite warm. Not only was it not chilled at all, it was apparently stored somewhere rather warm.

We did not try any of the appetizers but several of us had the seafood chowder or the Caesar salad from the regular menu, and a few of us tried the lobster bisque that was offered as a special that night. The lobster bisque was okay although it had an overly floury taste to it. The Cesar salads were served warm though, not chilled at all as one would have expected.

Our group had a variety of entrees from the menu and while most were good, none were exceptional either. For dessert, the only item that was offered was a blueberry clobber with vanilla ice cream that was on the specials menu. One of us ordered that and liked it. The restaurant apparently did not have a separate dessert menu though, which seemed odd. However, we were then each given a complimentary small cup of chocolate mousse with whipped cream at the end, which was nice unexpected finish.

This was our first visit to Atelier Florian and we were curious to try it. It is advertised as a “seafood” restaurant and a “Belgian” restaurant. They also have a raw bar and had special prices for different oysters and other raw seafood dishes. A number of customers seemed to be partaking in these at the bar.

The staff seemed to be trying although they clearly have a number of kinks to work out. It was also one of the hottest weekends in CT when we went and the AC wasn’t quite up to the task; we were all quite warm where we were seated. The warm wine, warm salads, and the tap water served without ice certainly didn’t help either.