“spectacular view”
Review of John Davenport's

John Davenport's
Reserve with OpenTable
John Davenport's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 585 Restaurants in New Haven
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Temple and Crown
Description: John Davenports is a 19th floor restaurant and bar that offers contemporary, approachable, coastal New England fare with the best views of New Haven. Our Executive Chef strives to resource sustainable, seasonal ingredients from local farmers, while taking pride in products made in house. His culinary team highlights the Atlantic coastline and its abundant offering from the sea. Floor-to-ceiling windows bring the most captivating, panoramic views of the city, Long Island Sound, and Yale University to our community.
Reviewed 21 February 2018

Dinner meeting with a pleasant view of the city from the 19th floor. The restaurant, part of the Omni Hotel at Yale, was pretty busy this Thursday evening of our visit. We ordered the NY Strip ($31) and the Lobster roll ($21). The server was very pleasant. The roll could be toastier, but overall the food was good.

Reviewed 2 February 2018 via mobile

Although an unusual year of birth to celebrate, my 26th was something to remember. Of the many places I’ve been to in New Haven to eat, John Davenports had not made it onto the list. I feel as though I have wasted years not coming to this establishment. From the moment we stepped into the restaurant l, which is beautifully located on the 19th floor, we were greeted with excitement and enthusiasm by the hostess Victoria; the type of welcome we were looking for. As soon as we sat down, our server Robin greeted us with what seemed to be an exact match to our original greeting in terms of energy and passion. I will spare the details of each aspect of the exceptional service but instead share with you the synopsis. The way each team memeber there worked together in harmony was unlike any restuarant environment I’ve seen. Whether it was the hostess, server, additional wait staff, no one hesitated to jump in to help bring additional items by request, refills, suggestions with the menu, or ensuring we were satisfied throughout the night. Would (and intend to) recommend to family, friends, and even random people on the street. Looking forward to my next visit!

Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

Just celebrated a birthday with my girlfriends. We each grew up in New Haven. None of us live here now but ai wanted to return to our old stomping grounds. We decided on John Davenports so we could enjoy a fabulous view of the city. Unfortunately it was foggy outside BUT the food, drink and staff were shining stars! Our cocktails were fabulous thanks to the skilled bartender (so sorry to you sir that ai have forgotten yur name. but we did learn he has worked here for many many years). Our server Jack was so personable and familiar with the menu. His guidance steered us to our food selections. Everything we ordered was delicious! Fried oysters, bar meatballs, alblondigas. Flatbread, fries, the cheese/meat plate was outstanding. The one negative is the decor/ambiance. It is dated and drab. We actually spoke to the manager Alec AyniliAn about this missed opportunity with the decor. Alec is a consummate professional. He listened to our thoughts and added considerate responses.
ATTN Omni design team - invest some money in the decor of this bar/restaraunt. We are in our early fifties and would spend our time here regularly if the ambiance felt current and gave one a sensory experience. This location has attached garage parking, you have it all. Make this bar/restaraunt thr place to come experience the lights of the city!!! No other establishment can offer this - you are in the heart of Yale .... message me and I would be happy to share design thoughts.

All in all great drinks, great staff, great food

Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

This is our second time dinning here, and we have had a great experience both times! This time we opted for the bar instead of the dinning room (the views from the dinning room are very nice of the city, which we enjoyed during our first experience. We came for our anniversary and received excellent care! They even placed roses all over our table per my husbands request!) and Dave the bartender took excellent care of us our second visit! We enjoyed delicious cocktails and drinks. I opted for the cheese boards and my husband had the burger (delicious!), we were looking for something to small to snack on rather than a full meal as we visited later in the evening! We will be back again! Thanks Dave for a great night, very personable and attentive!!

Reviewed 5 January 2018

Lovely breakfast options on buffet or a la carte in front of a great view of NHV and Yale campus. My friends had an egg white frittata they raved about.