“Absolutely fabulous! ”

Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Temple and Crown
Description: John Davenports is a 19th floor restaurant and bar that offers contemporary, approachable, coastal New England fare with the best views of New Haven. Our Executive Chef strives to resource sustainable, seasonal ingredients from local farmers, while taking pride in products made in house. His culinary team highlights the Atlantic coastline and its abundant offering from the sea. Floor-to-ceiling windows bring the most captivating, panoramic views of the city, Long Island Sound, and Yale University to our community.
Reviewed 8 December 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I celebrated our anniversary here and I am so happy we picked such a great place. From the pictures alone I had high expectations for our first time and boy did they meet them! The Omni hotel is absolutely beautiful and just a short trip up to the 19th floor and we were in the restaurant. The hostess was so nice and had our table ready as soon as we walked in. We were given (in my opinion) the best seat in the house! We had the end table with windows on both sides overlooking all of New Haven. It was amazing. Our waiter James could not have been nicer and he was SO knowledgeable about the menu and even the certain types of wine to pair with our meals. We had margaritas to start which were delicious and also ordered the meatball flatbread with fresh mozzarella on it. So good!! For dinner I order the 8oz filet and substituted fries for mashed potatoes (my favorite). It was cooked perfectly and the most tender steak I have had in a while. My boyfriend ordered the seafood bouillabaisse with lobster, scallops, mussels, and clams and he loved it. (My boyfriend was between this and steak but James recommended this instead of the NY strip because you can get a strip anywhere... good point). For dessert we had a delicious brownie/cookie skillet with vanilla ice cream and that was amazing. The food always came out hot and everything was fresh. What a great experience we had for such a special night. Would definitely recommend, and we hope to be back soon!

Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

Our group of 4 was cordially greeted by Roderick who took us to our cozy comfy seats with a great view of the Green! Our waiter was much more knowledgeable than the average waiter while also being cordial. It is a young but mature staff! I had the Diver Scallops with Shrimp with roasted slices of corn over a scrumptious sauce, my husband's Short rib was a bit dry and needed something else on the plate, our friend ordered from the special "Rioja" menu.Quite delish! We were fortunate to enjoy such a nice evening at a lovely restaurant. Thank you, Staff and Chef!! We shall return!!

Reviewed 27 September 2017

The view of this place sets the tone for the rest of the evening. The food awesome. Service superb. Would come back in a heartbeat.

Reviewed 1 September 2017

My husband took me to John Davenport's for our anniversary dinner and I can't say enough great things!!! We were greeted with a warm welcome and a Happy Anniversary wish from the host, who showed us to our seats. Our table was covered in roses and rose petals in the shape of a heart. It was a cloudy, rainy night so we didn't have a great view, but on a clear night, the view will be stunning. The food was fantastic, and our waitress (Monica) was perfection! Great recommendations, loving happy anniversary wishes, and even a surprise dessert from the chef to commemorate our day! We will definitely be back, and we highly highly recommend John Davenport's to anyone celebrating and looking for a romantic evening out!

Reviewed 12 August 2017

Excellent food, service, view, wines, ambience... Just perfect for a special night!
The chef recommendations are delicious, the bread is very good, try the oysters with honey sauce, the octopus, the salmon, and the steak.