“upscale atmosphere and service”

Goodfellas Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 553 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wallingford, CT
“upscale atmosphere and service”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My husband had made a reservation here for our Valentine's Day dinner. We had never been here before but my sister and parents had eatten here during New Haven restaurant week and loved it. We were not disappointed. The restaurant and the bar were packed but we were led to our table immediately. The atmosphere was romantic and upscale. Our waiter was top-notch. He provided excellent service without hovering. We both had the mediterranean salads and veal chops. Both were excellent. We were too filled for dessert but did have a nice cappaccino. I would definitely recommend this restaurant. We will be back.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank 712christineg
Gerry I, Owner at Goodfellas Restaurant, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review. I'm happy to hear you decided to celebrate Valentine's Day with us and that you enjoyed your meal. It's great that you found your service excellent and your meal delicious. We would love to welcome you back again soon--after all, you've got to try our desserts!

Middlefield, Connecticut
“Our First Time and certaunly NOT the last. Joe & Teresa”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Our friends gave us a gift certificate for Goodfellas as they go there quite often and we never knew this place ever existed. Now we love Italian cooking and we looked forward to this adventure. We arrived early and we were seated at a great spot by the window. We enjoyed watching the different people coming in and and seeing the place quickly fill up. This anticipation made us even hungrier. Our waiter Gary was one of the best waiters weve ever had. He was extremely knowledgable of the product offered and presented himself as a professional. The TV with the old movies is a great idea and really added to the ambiance. After wine, the New York calamari, and the polenta, we were ready for the main course. Another technique Goodfellas use is they give you fresh utensils with each new setting of food, now this is class, and the presentation of the meals were like pictured in a cook book. The salad was at perfect temperature and not freezing. As suggested by Gary, the filet minion with the lobster tail was flawless and quartered in a generous portion, but our waiter didn't stop there. We finished the meal off with a great expresso complmented with a shared dish of vanilla gilato. As requested by our friends, we had to meet Big Vinnie who invited us to the bar to enjoy our complimentary champagne.Now how can you beat this, a badda bing!! The perfect ending to a perfect meal. Thank you Goodfellas, we shall be back. Sorry to use the word perfect so much, but hey, it is what it is.

2 Thank Joe C
Gerry I, Owner at Goodfellas Restaurant, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Joe,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We love hearing from our happy guests and it's great to hear about your evening at Goodfellas. I'm glad you enjoyed such a variety of our dishes, including the filet mignon. It's a personal favorite! I'll be sure to pass your compliments along to Gary; I know he'll be happy to hear from you. We'd love to welcome you back again any time!

facebook[dot]com[slash]CafeGoodfellas
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Expensive red sauce place with some nice touches”
Reviewed 28 January 2012

We read the reviews about this place and weren't sure what to expect. The atmosphere is different- ganster movies on widescreen tv's (no sound, just subtitles), waiters dressed in black, gangster art on brick walls, etc. The waiter was terrific- punctual, not over-bearing, quick to bring the check (a BIG plus with us). The menu was fairly typical of a Connecticut
Italian restaurant. Strangely, the night we were there (a Friday), they had no strip steaks.
They had a nice selection of specials though. My wife ordered the filet, which was cooked just right, but drowned in a strong balsamic brown sauce and topped with tough lobster meat.
I had the paperdelle with meatballs and "Sunday gravy"...three big meatballs that were delicious, but sort of skimpy on the pasta. Dessert was good- both the Goodfellas cupcake and the tiramisu. On balance not bad, but definitely NOT romantic and too expensive. Ignore the advice about this being dressier. We were surrounded by young men dressed in jeans, athletic shoes and collarless shirts.

1 Thank Len B
Len,

Thank you for your candid review. I'm sorry if you were not more impressed with your recent meal with us. Of course, if you are ever unhappy with your meal we are more than willing to make things right for you if you alert your server. I hope you'll afford us another opportunity to impress you; I know we can change your opinion.

Meriden, Connecticut
“good food and service”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Very good food with excellent service. Reservation made a few days prior was on time and the waiters help with our selections was superb.

2 Thank Tim-Lombardi
Gerry I, Owner at Goodfellas Restaurant, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review. I'm glad you enjoyed your meal with us. We're always happy to accommodate our guests with reservations and our servers love recommending dishes. We'd love to welcome you back again soon.

“Where to begin?”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Don't bother and you won't be disappointed. Bad food, poorly cooked and overpriced sums it up.

1 Thank Rosanna T
I'm very sorry if you did not enjoy your meal with us. We take our food and service very seriously as a matter of pride and professionalism and it's disappointing to hear that we did not provide that for you. The quality of food you describe seems out of the norm for us and completely unacceptable. I hope you'll afford us the opportunity to change your opinion; I know we can serve you a great meal.