“Our First Time and certaunly NOT the last. Joe & Teresa”

Goodfellas Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 575 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Our friends gave us a gift certificate for Goodfellas as they go there quite often and we never knew this place ever existed. Now we love Italian cooking and we looked forward to this adventure. We arrived early and we were seated at a great spot by the window. We enjoyed watching the different people coming in and and seeing the place quickly fill up. This anticipation made us even hungrier. Our waiter Gary was one of the best waiters weve ever had. He was extremely knowledgable of the product offered and presented himself as a professional. The TV with the old movies is a great idea and really added to the ambiance. After wine, the New York calamari, and the polenta, we were ready for the main course. Another technique Goodfellas use is they give you fresh utensils with each new setting of food, now this is class, and the presentation of the meals were like pictured in a cook book. The salad was at perfect temperature and not freezing. As suggested by Gary, the filet minion with the lobster tail was flawless and quartered in a generous portion, but our waiter didn't stop there. We finished the meal off with a great expresso complmented with a shared dish of vanilla gilato. As requested by our friends, we had to meet Big Vinnie who invited us to the bar to enjoy our complimentary champagne.Now how can you beat this, a badda bing!! The perfect ending to a perfect meal. Thank you Goodfellas, we shall be back. Sorry to use the word perfect so much, but hey, it is what it is.

2  Thank Joe C
Gerry I, Owner at Goodfellas Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2012

Joe,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We love hearing from our happy guests and it's great to hear about your evening at Goodfellas. I'm glad you enjoyed such a variety of our dishes, including the filet mignon. It's a personal favorite! I'll be sure to pass your compliments along to Gary; I know he'll be happy to hear from you. We'd love to welcome you back again any time!

facebook[dot]com[slash]CafeGoodfellas

Reviewed 28 January 2012

We read the reviews about this place and weren't sure what to expect. The atmosphere is different- ganster movies on widescreen tv's (no sound, just subtitles), waiters dressed in black, gangster art on brick walls, etc. The waiter was terrific- punctual, not over-bearing, quick to bring the check (a BIG plus with us). The menu was fairly typical of a Connecticut
Italian restaurant. Strangely, the night we were there (a Friday), they had no strip steaks.
They had a nice selection of specials though. My wife ordered the filet, which was cooked just right, but drowned in a strong balsamic brown sauce and topped with tough lobster meat.
I had the paperdelle with meatballs and "Sunday gravy"...three big meatballs that were delicious, but sort of skimpy on the pasta. Dessert was good- both the Goodfellas cupcake and the tiramisu. On balance not bad, but definitely NOT romantic and too expensive. Ignore the advice about this being dressier. We were surrounded by young men dressed in jeans, athletic shoes and collarless shirts.

1  Thank Len B

Len,

Thank you for your candid review. I'm sorry if you were not more impressed with your recent meal with us. Of course, if you are ever unhappy with your meal we are more than willing to make things right for you if you alert your server. I hope you'll afford us another opportunity to impress you; I know we can change your opinion.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

Very good food with excellent service. Reservation made a few days prior was on time and the waiters help with our selections was superb.

2  Thank Tim-Lombardi
Gerry I, Owner at Goodfellas Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2012

Thank you very much for your kind review. I'm glad you enjoyed your meal with us. We're always happy to accommodate our guests with reservations and our servers love recommending dishes. We'd love to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

Don't bother and you won't be disappointed. Bad food, poorly cooked and overpriced sums it up.

1  Thank Rosanna T

I'm very sorry if you did not enjoy your meal with us. We take our food and service very seriously as a matter of pride and professionalism and it's disappointing to hear that we did not provide that for you. The quality of food you describe seems out of the norm for us and completely unacceptable. I hope you'll afford us the opportunity to change your opinion; I know we can serve you a great meal.

Reviewed 11 January 2012

We went to Goodfellas during Restaurant week. Can't say enough about this place. Started off with a well made martini. We were undecided about whether we order from the restaurant week menu or to just order from the regular menu. I chose the prix fix menelaus and was really happy about it. I had the do Latino which was so good. The cheese was creamy aand smooth and I was wishing I had ordered it for a main course. It was short lived....I was so excited to see my shrimp fra diavalo. Huge shrimp were topped over the sauce and pasta. Not too spicy but spicy enough to have a good bite to it. He started with the salad and meatballs. It was big enough to share with a few other people, not a one person app. he then followed his app with a porterhouse veal chop. His was amazing too. Cannot say enough about this place. We go to little Italy on NY often, and this was equal in many ways. Loved the whole thing.

1  Thank jackandpatti
Gerry I, Owner at Goodfellas Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

Thank you so much for your kind review! We love participating in Restaurant Week because it allows so many new guests to discover us--and for us to impress them. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your meal with us. We'd love to welcome you back again soon!