“Test of time”

Johnny's Peking Tokyo
Ranked #19 of 107 Restaurants in Mystic
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 2 October 2018

We've been going to Johnny's for years, and we always feel welcome, and special.
Great drinks, great sushi, and warm ambiance. Servers, are nice, and engaging. We are always greeted with a smile from the sushi chefs and also from the hostess. We like to visit Johnny's for a qiet evening, just the 2 of us, or on special occasions with a group, we always bring our out of town guests. it just that good!

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

It’s always a pleasure to eat here! The only thing I would suggest they add is delivery as an option. They are missing out on a great deal of business from customers who love their food but cannot always get there to eat it or pick it up. Other than that we have always had an amazing and delicious experience here.
Thank you!!

Reviewed 28 September 2018

So first thing. I HATE LISTENING TO HAPPY BIRTHDAY IN RESTAURANTS. We had to listen to the wait staff all stop to sing it 3 freaking times over the 2 hours of our meal. Do that at Montana's or something. Good grief.

This place just has too much selection. It does a lot but none of it particularly well.

Our waitress was a bit clueless. She couldn't split something when we ordered it but when it came she offered to go split it. She missed one of our items. The she missed one of our drinks. Then our sushi was off in the half hour queue of the sushi bar waiting to be made. The whole rhythm of the meal was wrecked and with it all the enjoyment gone.

The prices are a tad high for the quality of the food and definitely too high for the service.

The venue is LOUD. Crazy loud.

Would definitely NOT return.

Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

The menu is extensive. We have been visiting this restaurant for many years and always find something new and surprising. We tried the wasabi tuna dumplings this time as well as the Asian coconut shrimp curry. Both were excellent. The shrimp curry is a new favorite and I can't wait to go back and have it again. Just the perfect amount of hot and spicy for me. A definite winner. The oysters and tuna tartare are some old favorites that we love.

Reviewed 4 September 2018

This Japanese and Asian fusion restaurant, located in a strip mall next door to the Hilton Mystic, has an upscale atmosphere inside with dim lighting & red cloth napkins. Loud background rock music though seemed out of place They had one of the most extensive menus I've ever seen! It also contained pages explaining sushi, etc. They offer Naruto Rolls, which I hadn't seen before in any other Japanese restaurant. These rolls are wrapped with cucumber & avocado, without rice & seaweed - good for someone watching their carbs! I suspect I probably should have ordered sushi or a Naruto Roll, but I can only comment on what I had. My Chinese entree tasted fine but could have used some more sauce. My husband said his Nabeyaki Udon, one of his favorite Japanese soup entrees, tasted oily...

Been to Johnny's Peking Tokyo? Share your experiences!