“Top Quality Sushi and Sashimi dining”

Johnny's Peking Tokyo
Ranked #21 of 105 Restaurants in Mystic
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 25 January 2015

We've been patrons of Johnny's Peking Tokyo for about 8 years now. I just realized that I had never reviewed it for trip advisor - so here goes: This is an Asian restaurant with both Japanese & Chines food - one menu, with 2 sections. The Japanese section is the showstopper - imaginative rolls, spectacular appetizer and small bites, as well as sushi, sashimi, Japanese specialty entrees ( teriyaki, sukiyaki, tempura and bento boxes). The freshness and quality of the ingredients are 5 star. Service is excellent, all charming & adventurous young people who came to Mystic in pursuit of the American Dream. The sushi chefs ( and there are always a minimum of 3 at any time) are pleasant, helpful and friendly. The owner Johnny is very welcoming and goes out of his way to greet you and thank you for coming to his shop. It can get very busy on weekends, but during the week dinner is fine, and it's also a great spot for a business lunch.

Reviewed 1 January 2015 via mobile

After reading the reviews on trip advisor my husband and I decided we should give it a try. We have been looking for à place to get good Asian cuisine in the area. We were not disappointed. The interior of the restaurant is beautifully decorated in a contemporary decor with Asian flair.After we ordered our delicious tropical drinks we were served light and crispy fried wonton strips. We have been searching for a good solid egg roll and have found that here. Also had pan fried Vegetable dumplings that were tender and tasty. For our entrees we had the sizzling seafood and the birds nest. All done to perfection. Service was also friendly, professional and prompt. We can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 23 December 2014

Spent the weekend in Mystic celebrating my wife's birthday, and was looking for a new place to eat, branching out from our normal favorites, and based on the rave reviews on this board, decided to give Johnny's Peking Tokyo a try.

This place gets rave reviews for a reason. This sushi was by far the best sushi I have ever had. Everything tasted so good and so fresh, I can't wait to come back. It's a hair pricey, but worth every penny for sushi this good. They have the standard, less expensive fare on their menu, California Rolls, Spicy Tuna, etc, and I'm sure they're great, but if you're gonna go here, go big and get the specialty rolls.

We ordered the Fantastic, Dancing Scallop, R&D and one other that I can't remember, and I recommend them all.

The service was excellent, and after hearing that we were there for my wife's birthday, they brought her out a piece of cheesecake and sang Happy Birthday.

We will definitely be back.

Reviewed 16 December 2014 via mobile

Unreal freshness. The food was incredible. I've eaten sushi all over the US and this is in the top 5. The menu is detailed and offers a wide variety. Japan and China merge.

Reviewed 6 December 2014

Be prepared to eat incredibly decadent Japanese and Chinese cuisine. The atmosphere is serene; prodigiously beautiful. The food is presented in such an eloquent way; it is quite picturesque. The food had marvelous flavor. I would eat it everyday if I could. I have been there twice and plan to come back as soon as possible. While I was there, I had the clam soup which was pure quality, since it included fresh ginger, the freshest of all clams and a scrumptious broth that added increased delight to the soup. In addition, I feasted on beef fried rice; also scrumptious. The lobster-dragon roll was rolled with pure love. In it was amazingly savory lobster, tobiko and eel sauce. The waiter was awesome; he was very friendly and comical. The value is great! It is an upscale place without an upscale price. The next time you go to Mystic, make sure to visit Johnny's for a fantastic culinary experience.