“exquisite food in an authentic rustic atmosphere”

Captain Daniel Packer Inne Restaurant and Pub
Ranked #15 of 104 Restaurants in Mystic
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 10 February 2018

really good lunch, impeccable service in a rustic new england setting in historic mystic connecticut

1  Thank raymond w
Write a ReviewReviews (1,129)

Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

DPI has a formal restaurant and a cool pub in a historic building. I was in town for work so I stopped into the pub for some food and a drink. It was a cool little pub downstairs with a fireplace and a relaxed atmosphere. The bartender was friendly and the food was good. I got the clam chowder and fish and chips which was tasty. They have music too here too which sounds like fun. I will definitely stop in again if I am in the area.

1  Thank Tarps86
Reviewed 6 February 2018 via mobile

My husband and I always enjoyed going to the DPI! We dined there the other evening for a few reasons!
Love the atmosphere of the downstairs pub, they had entertainment (supposedly started at 9:30)that evening and there famous lemon pepper chicken!!!

Atmosphere is still fabulous!
We started with the braised short rib app with noodles. The short rib was not tender, hardly any sauce and the noodles were so bland. We ordered dinner salads for BEFORE our meal and they came out and almost immediately followed out chicken entree, we literally had just picked up our forks to start the salad when the dinner came out. If that was not bad enough our waitress followed with the check informing us she was headed home.
Now, I was a server for the better part of 20 years and I understand wanting to go home after a busy, long shift, HOWEVER, I would have never just dropped the check and asked us to pay before we even started our dinner. I would have politely asked if the customers minded if I gave them the check. Better yet, telling the customer that so and so will be taking over for me, 9 out of 10 times the customers will go ahead and ask for the check.

The chicken that we were so excited about had NO FLAVOR, same as the mashed potatoes.... extremely disappointed, of course, the whole dinner ended up being cold as we ate our salads first!!!

We left at 10:30 and music was just being set up, so much for starting at 9:30!!!

1  Thank Jfrohlich1
DPI_Manager, General Manager at Captain Daniel Packer Inne Restaurant and Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2018

Hi! Thank you very much for your comment. I am so sorry you did not have the positive DPI experience for which we are known. I will address all of the points you mentioned above. If you could please send me your information to info@danielpacker.com I can send you a gift certificate for you to return and have an enjoyable experience.

My sincere apologies,
Allison

Reviewed 4 February 2018

Took the opportunity to head to their pub for lunch. Great atmosphere and drink selection. The baguette with roasted garlic along with the mussels were very good. Sadly, though, when the DPI salad with chicken was served, it was without dressing. I asked the waitress to bring dressing and a glass of water. It took her about 15 minutes to bring the water but she never returned with the dressing. It seemed possible that she was getting ready to finish her shift and that's where her focus was, as when we paid the bill, a different waitress took the payment. It was just very disappointing to look forward to this signature salad and end up without one of the key ingredients. This is really not a reflection of the restaurant itself but more the server. She also never asked if I wanted another glass of wine. We will still return.

1  Thank mas0509
Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

Pub is small and crowded, expect a wait at busy times, but the wait is worth it. Had heard about the roasted garlic and butter bread, and it exceeded our expectations. Baked onion soup was tops. Fish and chips was a large (understatement) portion, and quite crisp as expected. Vegetable flatbread was loaded and tasty. Creme brule was ok, but not worth recommending (unlike the rest of the food we had). Hostess and wait staff were friendly, attentive, and welcoming. Despite the crowds, we did not feel rushed at l. The only drawback is the parking, but as long as you’re patient, you’ll get a spot; may want to drop off the rest of your group at the door. Definitely glad we went here.

1  Thank Geoff S