“Victorian Atmosphere - Fancy Pub Fun”
Review of City Steam Brewery

City Steam Brewery
Ranked #10 of 452 Restaurants in Hartford
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Hartford, CT Restaurant with the Finest Handcrafted Beer, Live Comedy and Upscale Casual Cuisine in an Historic Setting.
Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

Post UCONN basketball game at the XL center in downtown Hartford this restaurant was one of the most convenient choices within a short two block walk on this rainy late afternoon. We were greeted nicely and seated immediately. I've been here a number of times before but this cool place always impressed me with its 1890's architecture and beautiful, unique atmosphere. We were attended to quickly. One of my secondary motivations to come here was the fact that it is a long established brew pub and beer is a critical criteria in restaurant selection for me. Traditionally I've found their brews to be average but the hoppy Jungle Crush IPA I had was quite good. I had a very tasty beet salad with goat cheese and candied pecans with a solid piece of salmon and my wife had a rather bulbous mediocre hamburger. All in all it was decent food, good beer, in a cool atmosphere. And my wife did enjoy her French onion soup appetizer. The atmosphere is largely dictated by the lively pub on the first floor which opens up to the stairway that accesses the labyrinth of seating areas including stair landings with cozy nooks and various alcoves. The lighting is subdued with lots of old woodwork and a variety of antique brewery and local history decor. Music is lively in keeping with the pub crowd downstairs. They offer a full array of beer styles but not much in the way of big beers (barleywine, imperial stouts, etc). The food menu offers plenty of solid choices but it's all more oriented to a somewhat elaborate pub grub style. Not much health food here outside the salads. But post game, for some drinks and food, maybe play some pool in the back game room, lively social setting, this fits the bill nicely and is a great fit for such occasions. It is fairly unique. The only issue was that our waiter, who had done a great job through the meal, was engaged with a large party elsewhere and took a very long time to do our checkout. Other than that we were glad we chose City Steam. Parking is either city lots or garages within the adjacent blocks, or street parking if you can find it. It's located within just a couple blocks of I-84 for very easy access.

Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

Met up with friends from Boston for an early lunch and it was a good atmosphere. Not very busy since it was early. Tried the carne asada tacos and man! the meat was so tender and flavorful! I must say, this is the second best carne asada I’ve ever had in the US and definitely best in Connecticut!

Reviewed 6 February 2018

Always wanted to go here as we shopped here and g.fox as a kid.Its a very cool interesting place as its kept the industrial decor from when it was a dept store.Tne service was great ,better than ive expieranced in ct in along time.The wings and onion frizzles were good,and my burger was very tasty if a large bit undercooked.

Reviewed 23 January 2018 via mobile

Hartford in January after 6 PM.... is sad. But getting in to this old department store building from 1877, you can see that there is hope!! City Steam Brewery got a sports bar look, with several screens spread around this huge place. The bar it selfs has a lot of selfmade brews on tap, and the food in the resturant is well tasting. I have been met with only a big smile the times I have been walking through the doors..... this is a place to get filled up both by food and beer!!

Reviewed 23 January 2018

Also go here when I'm in the Hartford area. Great for celebration dinners, laughter and sharing drinks with friends!