“Best carne asada!”

Price range: US$10 - US$33
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Hartford, CT Restaurant with the Finest Handcrafted Beer, Live Comedy and Upscale Casual Cuisine in an Historic Setting.
Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

Met up with friends from Boston for an early lunch and it was a good atmosphere. Not very busy since it was early. Tried the carne asada tacos and man! the meat was so tender and flavorful! I must say, this is the second best carne asada I’ve ever had in the US and definitely best in Connecticut!

Date of visit: February 2018

Reviewed 6 February 2018

Always wanted to go here as we shopped here and g.fox as a kid.Its a very cool interesting place as its kept the industrial decor from when it was a dept store.Tne service was great ,better than ive expieranced in ct in along time.The wings and onion frizzles were good,and my burger was very tasty if a large bit undercooked.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 23 January 2018 via mobile

Hartford in January after 6 PM.... is sad. But getting in to this old department store building from 1877, you can see that there is hope!! City Steam Brewery got a sports bar look, with several screens spread around this huge place. The bar it selfs has a lot of selfmade brews on tap, and the food in the resturant is well tasting. I have been met with only a big smile the times I have been walking through the doors..... this is a place to get filled up both by food and beer!!

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 23 January 2018

Also go here when I'm in the Hartford area. Great for celebration dinners, laughter and sharing drinks with friends!

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed 11 January 2018

After all the good reviews, we really wanted to like this place. I’m not sure if we caught them on an off night, or if is the usual.

We were there on a Monday Night, and it was pretty quiet. We were seated on the first level, and there were only a handful of other diners there. Service was so-so. While the waiter was professional and nice, he forgot to get the beer that was ordered and had to be asked again to bring it, and never offered to refill the soft drink (although the person who brought the food out did notice the empty soda glass and offered to refill it). Neither one of those are major complaints, but add slightly to the disappointment.

The one beer that we tried was fairly decent. While I wouldn’t mark it as one of my favorites, I would happily order another if we stayed for a while.

Where the dinner fell apart was the food. I started with the French Onion soup, and while I think there were some good flavors hidden in there, it was very salty. To the point I did not finish it. Next was the main course. My traveling companion had the Thai Chicken Tacos. He said the sauce was good, but the Chicken wasn’t great, the tortillas dry, and the whole thing, like the soup, extremely salty. I had the pulled-pork sandwich, and it was simply unpleasant. Perhaps because there was twice as much coleslaw as meat, or perhaps because the BBQ sauce used was unusual and not in a good way, but I ate very little. I have no idea how it was actually cooked, but it definitely tasted more like the cheap pulled pork you buy in a container and heat up in a microwave instead of the kind that was slow smoked for a while. I don’t recall ever not liking pulled pork in BBQ sauce, but this was not enjoyable at all.

When the waiter came to take our plates and realized we ate very little of our entrees, his comment was “The onion soup is very filling, I can see why you didn’t eat much of the entree”. In fairness, we did not complain about the food to anyone so we didn’t have any expectations, but perhaps a more attentive server would have asked if anything was wrong with the meals, instead of assuming we were just full.

While this may be a good place to stop by and have a beer, based on this particular experience, I don’t plan on dining there again.

Date of visit: January 2018