“Lovely but..”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Description: Awarded the Good Hotel Guide's award for best newcomer in 2017, The Royal Oak offers a chic and sophisticated but distinctly relaxed vibe. With a creative, seasonal menu, a reputation for some of the finest food in the area and six serene and extremely comfortable bedrooms, we have everything you could need for the perfect evening out or weekend away.
Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

Most of this stay was fantastic but it was just the attention to detail missed..
When we arrived, first thoughts it all looked stunning- the bar, the restaurant, our room. We did stay in the Fonthill, and I was aware about the kitchen being beneath when we booked it so that was fine and noise was expected. If you are like us and like to stay up and have a drink in the bar (so by the time you go to bed the kitchen has closed anyhow) then it’s not going to affect you much. The bed was lovely, nice quality bedding and comfy mattress! The breakfast was glorious, we really enjoyed it. Food was great, there wasn’t too much or too little. Freshly squeezed orange juice was delish!

There’s just a few points that we weren’t too happy with which is why I rated a 4 and not 5...
One being a sewage smell coming through the windows while we were watching tv before going to sleep. It was a very warm day but we had to close the window above the bed as the smell was horrendous.
Secondly, there was some sort of bleeping noise, possibly from the kitchen. This meant I woke up at 5am, and didn’t go back to sleep. I put my headphones on and music to help me go back to sleep but I could hear the noise over this and it didn’t work. I’m not an early riser and had a long day of driving ahead so really I needed the sleep.
Then I just thought attention to detail was missed... the box of tissues was like a box of paper, I have much nicer boxes of tissues at home. And the shower was ok but not much pressure. Also one of the coffee pouches was out of date.
None of this completely ruined our trip but it went from ‘wow this place is gorgeous’, to ‘its a shame about this and that otherwise it would had been perfect’.

I do think that if someone is booked into the Fonthill but you have other rooms free then you should probably move them. It would save complaints and make their stay much more pleasant.

1  Thank 97cookit

Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

I’ve seen one or two critical reviews and just don’t understand them. Yes, this is a dog friendly pub, but there are very careful controls on where they can go. The staff are delightful and nothing is too much trouble. The food is excellent and not at all bad value. The rooms are exquisite (but do tell them if you’re a light sleeper as the one above the kitchen does have a slight problem with extractor fans or refrigeration equipment noise). There’s lots of parking, a wonderful garden and the dining room is a work of art in its own right with amazing new woodwork. In short this is excellent value, comfortable and friendly. A great place to stay.

1  Thank Erskinemay
Reviewed 31 May 2018

I had high hopes for my meal with a friend at The Royal Oak but sadly they were soon dashed!

Things started to go down market with the presentation of the menus. Bear in mind that this is an expensive place to eat with pretensions to quality. One of the menus was very poorly printed and barely legible in places. The other menu was better printed but had fewer options than the first menu! Just as well there were two of us or we'd never have known.

There was only one vegetarian main course on the menu and the waitress never mentioned that there was a board with daily specials so we remained unaware of those until we were leaving. The veggie main course option was a mushroom dish. So was one of the two veggie starters - a lack of effort on the part of the chef?

My starter was eggs hollandaise with asparagus tips. At £7.95 it was extremely poor value. 4 small asparagus tips, the tiniest poached egg I've ever seen and some hollandaise sauce, not cool.

There are several up-market eateries in the area that offer better quality at the same price and several others that don't pretend to be as posh and charge a lot less for excellent quality food and drink.

If you're vegetarian or vegan, avoid The Royal Oak like the plague. The chef appears to have no imagination regarding meat and fish free dishes and made no effort to broaden the options beyond the usual goats cheese tart or mushroom risotto we've become accustomed to putting up with.

I mentioned my concerns to the duty manager and was met with a very insincere apology. I won't be rushing back.

1  Thank Dave-Rattagan
Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

For a start, there was a dog running about in the restaurant. Very hygienic indeed and against a few food and hygiene regs. Food was mediocre and certainly over priced. 26 quid for sirloin and chips... despite trying to posh up the name, it's just steak and chips. Then there was the very loud table with children....

Deserts not much better. All a bit ostentatious... Nothing along the Cheese cake theme.

Nice location... Nice inside.... Nice staff....ruined mostly be a dog....

Not recommended.

Reviewed 17 May 2018

I went with family for lunch and was impressed with the menu - there was a good range of dishes including vegetarian, although none specifically for vegans. I chose the "normal" sized beer battered cod, chips and peas from the specials board. Our meals were freshly cooked while we waited and, when they arrived, were enormous! We struggled to eat it all, as it was absolutely delicious. Unfortunately I couldn't finish it (tho I tried, believe me!) and couldn't even look at the desserts menu. The staff were friendly and professional, the restaurant cosy, and I'll be going back again very soon! Excellent!