“great barbecue and brisket”
Review of Chester's Barbecue

Chester's Barbecue
Ranked #2 of 123 Restaurants in Groton
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 22 July 2018

great barbecue and brisket at Chester's, good menu selection - ribs, brisket, pulled pork, etc. - from mild to hot, moderate pricing

Reviewed 22 July 2018

This was first trip to Chester's in 2-3 years. It was one of my favorite and few decent BBQ spots in CT. Took my son this past week after a trip to the Sub Museum. I know they have expanded to Clinton as well, and another reviewer wrote that Chester himself no longer lives in the area. If true, he needs to get back! It wasn't the great experience I've had in the past. I ordered burnt ends and pulled pork with baked beans and mac-n-cheese. My son had a pulled pork on a hard role and mac. Food looked great. My first burnt end had that crunchy bark and then just melted in my mouth. My son was less than enthusiastic about his pulled pork, which was sitting on just a sopping wet bun, and the pork itself was meh, which also describes the mac and baked beans. He tried a burnt end, and I ended up surrendering the remainder to him. There were only a few burnt ends, and the rest was just brisket, which was still good, but you're paying a premium for burnt ends. I should have pointed this out to them. My bad there. The place was empty on a Sunday afternoon. I wanted to love this, but it just hasn't kept up, at least in consistency, and for what they charge, I expected a lot better. There is a lot more competition, with several better options emerging over the last few years in the state.

Reviewed 9 July 2018

Like the sign says, Barbecue is not the sauce its what the sauce goes on. Great place for Lunch and Dinner and its family friendly with large family booths.

Reviewed 5 July 2018 via mobile

Brisket was the only meat that was decent. Pork was overbearing with Apple Cider vinegar taste. Chicken and turkey was dry and tasteless. Ribs were excessively fatty and couldn’t be eaten. The side offerings didn’t even include green beans and what was offered was less than appealing. Collard greens and mashed sweet potatoes were over cooked and mushy. Corn bread could not be eaten.
The place was practically empty. Staff looked and acted less than enthused to be there.

Reviewed 5 July 2018

New menu board: some of the old offerings, that were less expensive but filling, no longer available. Waitress agreed menu changed but that some items were reduced in price. Same spacious location and just as "empty" as I remembered during a late lunch hour. A little concerning was one worker smoothing his longish hair and returning to his behind the counter duties. Ribs were tasty enough, but juicy with some fat, they were not. Dry meat in appearance and taste was the order. Sides of potato salad and sweet potatoes were good. Not cheap! Too bad because we looked forward to our BBQ fix at Chester's.

Been to Chester's Barbecue? Share your experiences!