Moffat Tunnel West Portal
Review Highlights
Nice touch for Winter Park

The Moffat Tunnel adds a unique touch to your stay at Winter Park. Fun to have trains come... read more

Reviewed 21 September 2018
Ken Q
Denver, United States
Very pretty area

We went to the Winter Park Resort to explore and stumbled across the Moffat Tunnel. I pulled up the... read more

Reviewed 22 June 2018
Robin G
Wisconsin

All reviews coal trains few hours shops and restaurants historic history denver fascinated winter park snow
Reviewed 6 September 2016

Winter Park/ Mary Jane ski areas are the only ski areas in North America serviced by train. This is the way to "see" the Moffat tunnel. Amtrak also goes through the tunnel from Denver or Fraser.

Date of experience: February 2016
Reviewed 27 August 2016

West Portal is a great history story but realistically, not much to see. On the other hand if you take the train you will be treated to incredible views and of course the ski resort is right there at West Portal. Good history and I understand the passenger service is expected this coming ski season which should be welcomed by the front range skiers.

Date of experience: April 2016
1  Thank loesshawk2015
Reviewed 25 July 2016

What a great way to see history and a 360 view of the mountain range. This was my 1st Colorado hike in the Mountains. Being from Indiana, I didn't think the hike was too bad. This was my ultimate favorite trailhead.

Date of experience: August 2015
Reviewed 10 April 2016

We were onboard the California Zephyr as we passed this momentous place. Fantastic history and we were aboard part of the history we were observing.

Date of experience: May 2015
Reviewed 6 April 2016

Pretty cool seeing a tunnel entrance that is so old but their is really nothing special about this as an attraction. You view it from a parking lot. Maybe I missed the historic marker.

It is cool. There is a lot of fence to keep people back and to interrupt a photo.

Date of experience: April 2016