See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My wife hiked around Long Lake, my brother and I fished Brainard and the South St. Vrain. This is a lovely mountain spot. I would recommend it especially to those who may have difficulty getting about as it is over 10,000' but blacktop all the way, terrific views, and good handicap accessibility. We saw a bull moose right off the road, and my brother and his family have come across them hiking here.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Greg K
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We visited Brainard Lake during the early season when the ranger station wasn't open yet. We hiked up the highway 2 miles to check out this spectacular lake with views. We want to go back in August and try some camping and hiking. There was still quite a bit of snow and trails required snowshoes are cleats in June when we visited. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travelchic012
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My parents used to be "Camp Hosts" at Pawnee campground so we spent a lot of time at Brainard Lake. I am a Colorado native and my dad stocked the high mountain lakes for Fish and Game so we have done good amount of hiking. My favorite hike at Brainard is the hike to Mitchell Lake in the late spring or early summer. There are little waterfalls everywhere and the spring flowers are just stunning! I don't fish so I can't say that the fishing is great but the views are worth the hike!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank JJ2505
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We were displaced from RMNP by the historic floods in Sept '13. We scrambled to keep the vacation going. Brainard Lake Rec has 10-15 hikes from easy to hard, it is a fee area but if you have a National Park pass, no charge. You hike at 10,000 feet. It's cooler. We hiked to Lake Isabella and South St. Vrain the next day. Almost no one on these trails. Perfectly clear skies, well marked trails. And every trailhead has rest rooms. We saw 6 moose in two days. We were originally bummed about RMNP being shut down. This was a great save. And it was only a 40 minute drive.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank jimvet1826
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Just remodeled (about 80% done) and more clean, comfortable and enjoyable than any of the 5 other camping grounds we have been to this summer. The hikes, fishing, and camp sites make tent and smaller RV and most trailers and all tents a million dollar experience. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family