“Great Dinner and People Watching”

Alpenrose Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 130 Restaurants in Vail
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Austrian, German, Swiss
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 14 July 2018

We shared a beer, salad and a veal entree and the food was all delicious. The black forrest cake was the best I'd ever had. We felt bad for the one waiter on duty on Tuesday as he was overworked. But having said that, he was excellent when he had time to be there. Perhaps another night there will be more staff. It would be nice to fix up the landscaping too, it would help the curb appeal. A couple of groups walked out I think because the menu posted out front was for lunch and dinner was almost double the lunch prices.

Reviewed 8 July 2018

We used to love this restaurant - authentic Austrian cuisine and incredible pastries, etc. I recently stopped by to purchase some pastries as a hostess gift. There were no prices listed and I guess I should have asked how much each thing was, but I'm used to NYC prices, and I figured that they would be comparable. After picking out a few things, I was given the total. When I said, hmm, maybe I'll put a few things back, the man said "too late, I already charged your card". I should have pushed back, but I wasn't in the mood to argue, so I figured we would enjoy these fabulous desserts. When we actually ate them at our hosts' house, we found that the strudel which cost $9 per tiny piece, was no better than something from any old bakery or donut house, and the other pastries were no better. I will not go back

3  Thank Tracy F
Reviewed 29 June 2018

Expected a lot more from this restaurant than what we got. The service was great, hence the 3 stars. The food was not good. The goulash was very weak, we've had better in Argentina. The sandwiches had little taste, the sausages were not even close to the ones we have had in Germany.

1  Thank Ines C
Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

We have a mixed review. The sausages and sauerkraut were good and authentic. The goulash lacked depth and flavor as compared to other places. Wine selection was very limited. Service was fine.

Reviewed 21 May 2018

A Vail resident recommended this place, so we went for lunch and ate outside.

It's right on the main pedestrian strip in Vail. Our server was efficient if not super pleasant, but I'll take good service over friendly any day.

They have sandwiches on the menu for $12-$16, but my husband and I opted for entrees just to try the German food. We were not disappointed.

My wiener schnitzel was nicely done, with spaetzel, cabbage, cucumbers and potato salad. It was very tasty.

My husband liked his kaesespaetzel so much he has me looking for the recipe!

Portions were a good size.

Desserts looked lovely, but the entrees were plenty.

We would definitely go back, and I would be willing to try it for dinner.

Been to Alpenrose Restaurant? Share your experiences!