“Worst burrito I've ever had”
Review of La Cantina

La Cantina
Ranked #59 of 131 Restaurants in Vail
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed 1 April 2018

I had eaten here a few years ago and it was ok.
As i was catching the bus and this restaurant is located in the same building I decide to get the fish burrito to go.
The quality and taste of this burrito was not very good.

Date of visit: February 2018

Reviewed 19 January 2018

Vail is well known as premium-priced in virtually every category - top-drawer if that's your thing. The good news is that if you find yourself in Vail - spending your 401K on a family ski trip, sleeping on a friends couch, or just passing through on your way from Denver to Glenwood Springs - there are cheap eats to be found, if you know where to look. From the grade level of the Vail Transportation Center, head downstairs one floor to La Cantina, a colorful outpost of its hermana establishment of the same name found west down I-70 in Avon, CO. La Cantina Vail straddles a rollup-style cage door space smack dab in the center of the bus terminal and adjacent to a parking garage for day skiers. Fare is typical if unremarkable Tex-Mex and the service is hit or miss based on how good the snow is and one thing is pretty clear, at 8,000 feet pretty much everyone in Vail is high (at least that's what the T-shirts say). My friend and I ordered two enchiladas and one chicken burrito with guacamole. The arrived a few minutes later as just that, two enchiladas and one chicken burrito. No garnishes, no rice, nor beans, just whatever the item is that you order. I had the burrito and the chicken was nicely cooked, moist, shredded, but there was no guacamole to be found. I didn't say anything because I could tell that the hipster lumberjack bearded hombre taking orders would've gone into a tailspin with the lineup of guests at the counter if I had gone back to straighten out the issue. Considering all the challenges we have in the world, I can live without guacamole on my burrito on the most expensive ski resort in North America. La Cantina offers beer, wine and cocktails at the bar or one of the 2-top or 4-top tables scattered around the open space. We opted for water to drink and got out of La Cantina for under $20 for two of us. Not bad, even without the guacamole. If you're in Vail for several days and are looking for an alternative to the uber-expensive Vail ski lodges and other finer establishments in the village, check out La Cantina in the Transportation Center. Chances are you'll find lots of locals and perhaps even that side of guacamole I missed.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

Great value! No frills Mexican. Best Chili Relleno I’ve had in a long time. Yes, it’s located in a bus terminal. Don’t let that scare you away. The food tasted great and authentic. Friendly atmosphere and super nice staff. Don’t expect ambiance, but do expect to not go away hunger or broke.

Date of visit: January 2018
1  Thank drews537
Reviewed 14 December 2017 via mobile

We stopped to eat at this place and we found out that the food was really really good, and my biggest surprise was that even though we were in a very expensive city, they managed to bring the prices down to be affordable by a big family of eight people so I recommend this place as this was clean, affordable, with great customer service, and with great and delicious food.

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank bryanmantezoni
Reviewed 6 July 2017

I'm a huge fan of Mexican food, and can without a doubt say that this is by far the worst one I have ever been to. Although it was fairly busy due to the 4th of July and there was only one cook and one person taking orders, it is no excuse for the service we were given. We received excellent service at other restaurants under the same stresses in the town. The gentleman at the till barely spoke, and when he did he was terribly rude, short, and dismissive with us. The food was disgusting, and multiple orders contained controversial ingredients that many people do not like and were not on the menu, resulting in multiple members of my party not being able to eat their meal. Overall, I'd recommend everyone stay well away from this joke of a restaurant in such a wonderful city.

Date of visit: July 2017