“Great Sushi, relaxed setting.”
Review of Yama

Yama
Reserve with OpenTable
Yama is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 131 Restaurants in Vail
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Vail Road
Reviewed 14 April 2017 via mobile

We sat at the bar and enjoyed nigiri, tempura prawns and scallops, scallops 3 ways and gyoza. All of it was delicious and we watched as they prepared it. Fast and friendly service.

Reviewed 5 April 2017

wonderful small restaurant that rocks when it comes to Japanese food. varied selection. Fish flown in fresh from California and Washington. Pretty good sake selection. We sat at the bar which is the best way to have sashimi. Chelsea was our waitress and did a great job. Efraim was a master behind the bar and prepared dishes with an artful eye and delicate touch. If you need your sushi fix, this is the place to go.

Reviewed 14 March 2017 via mobile

We were looking to book Matsuhisa (a Nobu restaurant) and it was full booked for like 3 weeks solid(this is March break). So walking around we saw the restaurant and checked out the menu.... apparently everyone there was were trained and the menu created by a Japanese chef and it makes sense knowing the quality and specificity found only in Japanese-managed places. The food did not disappoint at all. We also noticed a great number of families with small children and for the prices and quality can't blame the parents who want sushi and need to bring kids at a relatively lower price while not giving up quality. Call to make reservations as with any restaurant in Vail especially as it is a small place.

Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

I didn't expect this quality, really good, the place is great, great sushi, great yellowtail with ponzu, great home made gyozas, great rolls, good sake menu. Definitely worth a visit while in Vail.

Reviewed 24 February 2017

I have to preface this by saying I have never given a dishonest review. I am a foodie who loves food and dining from burgers to foie gras. Yama Sushi was the worst meal I have had in a very long time. I rely on other reviews and am very dismayed at how different my experience was. FIrst of all, we were told that service would be slow as everyone in the room had just been seated. This is a small restaurant. We ordered 3 rolls and one chicken skewer. The rolls took 45 minutes to come out and she waitress incorrectly put eel sauce on the wrong roll. I can forgive that as bad service or a simple mistake which they kindly took off my tab. One thing I cannot forgive though is a sushi place not rolling sushi properly. Anyone who eats sushi knows that the rolls should be tight and not fall apart. Secondly, none had any flavor except one roll that is tempura fried called the Hammerhead roll. Others were a basic shrimp tempura roll and a spicy tuna roll. The tempura shrimp had no shrimp but just fried batter. It also had one piece which had the tail inside the roll. Just really poor. Practically inedible. Spicy tuna roll was very spicy and also rolled poorly. The flavor was just spicy, not succulent tuna or flavorful sushi rice.

We went to a crepe place to eat afterwards as I just wanted to leave. I really wanted to like this place but the sushi from the deli store is better than Yama. Save your money and go elsewhere.

Been to Yama? Share your experiences!