“An excellent new item on the menu....”

Laong's Bistro & Boutique
Price range: US$6 - US$38
Description: Tastefully designed and decorated and offering a relaxing yet attentive dining experience. Both indoor and outdoor seating available. Whether you just want to unwind and enjoy one of our delicious coffee's or prefer to go for a 3 course dinner you are always very welcome here. If there's something not listed on our menu that you wish to have, we will do our utmost to try and satisfy you, please just ask us.
Reviewed 9 December 2017

Browsing the menu of the Laong’s bistro discovered a new item: „ Meatballs frommage á lá créme „ and the description sounded exciting... „ Cream cheese stuffed pork meatballs with home made sauer kraut, pickle, sautéed veg & homemade croquettes, topped with a dollop of sour cream „ Huhh.. not a short description...

I simple loved the whole composition, exciting but still soft flavors in a very nice harmony... The meatballs were soft and moist, the melted cream cheese added some real extra, the croquettes were perfect, crispy outside, and soft inside... just like the sauer kraut made from purple cabbage.... The pickles were nice with the veggies and the caramellized onion rings... It was served with some nice gravy in the boat... Highly recommended.

Meatball plate: 285 baht ( 214 baht with 25% EATIGO discount ) Water: 40 baht

1  Thank m00y0ng

Reviewed 7 December 2017

Now I have visited this place a couple of times since it is in walking distance from our apartment and indeed reviewed it about a year ago.

The place is much as I had found it before. Very clean, indoor and outdoor seating and always very quiet at lunch times. Does it pick up in the evening? I do not know as I have never been an evening customer. This visit, on a Saturday at 1pm revealed us as the only two customers. Around 2pm another couple did appear. This establishment is on 2nd Road but well away from areas that tourists might stroll.

The menus is very geared towards European and American dining. Plenty of choice and indeed plenty of American pancakes/waffles with extremely tasty trimmings. Then there are steaks and other tempting dishes. The menu card also has pictures for the less imaginative customer to help their decision making. The couple of Thai male waiting staff were very attentive and pleasant.

So plenty to choose from and middle ranging in price. However we now come to the wine. We chose a 1/2 litre of white house wine (475 bhts). When it arrived I became suspicious of it's colour - not a clear and very light yellow in colour but more of straw colouring. I accepted it, smelt it and then drank. It was clearly turning. We continued to 'stomach it' and then changed to a house red.

A white wine being 'off' is something I have experienced more than once here in Thailand. When ordering a bottle of white wine you must first note the colour and equally important note the year on the bottle. Any white wine more than two years old here in Thailand is to be avoided. It just does not keep/store well in this heat. Some fine red wines together with fine cheeses can indeed improve with age - not these white wines. Of course ordering a carafe of house wine gives you no control on what maybe being served. Most restaurants fill their carafe's from large 5 litre boxes of Mont Clair or similar (sold in most supermarkets at around 1,000 Bhts). The thing here is that if a restaurant does not have a rapid turn-over then just how long that large wine box has been opened, exposed to the naturally elements, is anyone' guess.

So if you are in the area, do visit this place as the food is good. And as for the wine - well remember the points I have made above are applicable to most establishments.

Robert C, General Manager at Laong's Bistro & Boutique, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2017

Dear Jeremy,

Many thanks for your visit and the feedback you provided both here and in our private exchange. I have of course taken your comments on board with particular attention to our wine offerings and our staff's understanding of same. We do take all reviews seriously and in this case see a number of opportunities to improve our service to you and our other guests.

I look forward to greeting you personally upon your next visit to Laongs.

Kind regards,

Robert

Reviewed 22 November 2017 via mobile

In essence there is nothing wrong with this place, it just disappointed. Yes, easy parking, very comfortable chairs, quiet and not cramped friendly service and, in general, a most pleasant venue. But the goulash soup was salty to excess, the croquette potatoes were far too soft, and they forgot one of our group's main course, alhough the rest of the meals were mediocre to good with little complaint especially the Thai dish. .

Although I would place medium priced Laong's on a list of better Jomtien eateries I would perhaps chose one higher up on another list next time!

Robert C, General Manager at Laong's Bistro & Boutique, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2017

Dear Ron,

Many thanks for your feedback which as you would expect we have taken on board and made the necessary changes where appropriate.

As I mentioned to you in my private message I have identified what might have happened with your soup, I regret you didn't mention the over use of salt at the time as I would have been very keen to replace your dish immediately had I known.

Our Croquette is handmade in house from Freshly mashed potato and will have a different texture to those pre-made frozen ones available elsewhere.

I feel I must apologise for the communication error between our staff and your guest which led to one dish not being ordered from the kitchen, again I have made improvements to our process in an effort to eliminate that problem from arising in the future.

Thank you for choosing Laong's as your dining destination during your trip and we sincerely hope you will return.

Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

Nice location with easy parking. Nice menu but breakfast is a stand out. Good Thai food with superb desserts.

Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

Delicious food, ridiculously big portion, large menu selection, great service, attentive and caring owner, good ambience. This is a top notch restaurant.

1  Thank Sam F