“It is what it is and it's what I wanted”
Review of Rabbit Ears Motel

Rabbit Ears Motel
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Reviewed 10 March 2016

Found the hotel online. Thought it was a simple location, and I just wanted a place to sleep and shower. Bathrooms brand new, which was great. Good size fridge, nice TV. Bed wasn't fantastic, but it kind of went with the rate. If I were to go there again I would stay there again. It worked. Nice easy walk to town for dinner. Just nice and simple.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
gregkoe, Owner at Rabbit Ears Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2016

Thanks for taking the time to review our property. We too appreciate the great location and feel proud of the new bathrooms. Look forward to seeing you on your next visit!~

Reviewed 8 March 2016

we stayed at the rabbit ears motel 20th feb 2016, motel had great rooms and great wifi you could get hold of easy and use. Rooms were great and big queen beds , rooms could be as warm or as cool as you like. Breakfast was not brilliant but many places elsewhere cheap enough to use. Location was great for going out at night but the place is not rocking but quiet good enough. Bus stop right outside to the slopes, although a bit of a journey to get back after skiing.All in all a great place to stay at the rabbit ears motel, thanks.

Room Tip: we stayed in 130 where we had great views of the stream/river at the back.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
gregkoe, Owner at Rabbit Ears Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2016

Thanks for the review. So glad you enjoyed your stay. We really appreciate the positive details that you shared. Hope to see you again on your next visit!

Reviewed 7 March 2016

The Rabbit Ears Motel is undoubtedly a motel. Your room will open to the outdoors. If you have come to Steamboat at a busy time of the year, you will likely be paying 80-100 dollars to stay in a motel. This may seem a bit pricey, but a 10 minute drive from parking at the ski resort will merit that kind of price.

And if you have to stay in a motel, the Rabbit Ears is certainly the way to go. Rooms were clean, if not spacious, with coffee maker, fridge and microwave. Bathrooms were modern with nice shampoo and conditioner provided. Breakfast is included, with options including bagels, toast, hard boiled eggs and some yogurt. By no means fancy, but by all means adequate for fueling up for a long day of skiing.

The sign for the hotel is large, neon and makes for a nice photo opportunity, with the added benefit of increasing the likelihood of locating the hotel. Staff is friendly and helpful. It is an easy walk to town for dining and entertainment, so long as the temperature doesn’t dip too much below 0!

If staying at the Rabbit Ears be sure to go across the street to the Old Town Hot Springs across the road. You can buy discounted tickets at the Rabbit Ears front desk, and a nice soak in the hot spring water is truly wonderful after a long day on the slopes.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple

Lauren, thanks for this informative and thorough review~ we really appreciate you taking the time to share feedback. We are so glad you enjoyed our location and property. We hope you'll think of us on your next visit to Steamboat! Have a great day.

Reviewed 23 February 2016

I wanted to fall in love in love with this place after reading so many glowing reviews, but it wasn't as quaint as I had imagined.

First of all, the bathroom is newly renovated and there's a flat screen TV, but the brown bed comforter is circa 1980, as is the carpeting. The comforter desperately needs to be replaced every 6 months, and the carpeting should be changed to tiles that doesn't retain dirt from every occupant. When I glanced into the laundry a few times when taking the public hallway to my room, I saw the cleaning woman only washing white towels....I have doubts the comforter and fleece blankets on the beds are washed between occupants.

FYI, if you decide to leave the bathroom light on as a night light, it's connected to the fan to vent the shower and you will find in winter that it lowers the room temperature dramatically since it pulls cold air into the room from the high suction.The walls are thin, so I could always hear 1-2 TVs in various directions as well as a few muted dogs barking. I went to the complimentary breakfast once, but was disappointed to see oodles of styrofoam and disposable cutlery/plates/bowls being used. Styrofoam has been banned from many states since its so toxic, so I was surprised it was allowed in Colorado. I encourage the owners to consider more environmentally friendly options and just increase the daily rate a few dollars to cover the cost of the great products. You can buy eco plates/cutlery in bulk from sources online like "Biomasspackagingstore" that supplies eco-minded restaurants and hospitality businesses across the US.

The organic grocery store called Natural Grocers is literally within view of the Rabbit Ears (1 block away). You can buy lots of amazing food to keep in the small frig. or to take to the slopes each day. I keep trying to add the Natural Grocers here on Trip Advisor and they won't acknowledge it exists. I made my own organic coffee and had a more gourmet breakfast in my room each day than what was provided by the motel.

Lastly, on the day I checked out, the cleaning woman knocked loudly around 9 am, and then came again knocking 15 minutes before the check-out time. This really annoyed me because the motel is huge and I felt as if I was being 'rushed' to check out. I noticed that day that a lot of rooms had their 'do not disturb' signs hanging on their doors, so I assume I should have just put that out to avoid the whole situation.

The good things about this motel are the price, location, and proximity to the hot springs across the street. The bus stop to the resort is about 100 ft. from the front door and comes every 15 minutes pretty much.

All in all, I would use this motel again, but I hope they make the upgrades I mentioned.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Relax M
gregkoe, Owner at Rabbit Ears Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay. While we hope to always have every experience be perfect, we realize everyone is different and notices different things. I take a lot of pride in our property and appreciate all feedback.

Thanks for noticing the new bathrooms! Actually, the comforters are only 3 months old. They are new microfiber material. The carpeting in just a year old. We absolutely wash the comforters and blankets after each guest's stay. We have traditional stuck to earth tones to keep it simple, but cleanliness is always the priority.

I too enjoy organic healthy choices and care about environmentally friendly options versus styrofoam. Actually, I recently learned that there is an eco friendly version of styrofoam and immediately switched to that. This solution, while perhaps not ideal, is much more eco friendly than styrofoam used to be. That being said, our breakfast is just one option, we do keep the refrigerator, etc. in the room for guests who do prefer to provide their own breakfast foods.

Thanks again for the honest feedback and kind comments about the elements of your stay that were perfect for you. We do hope that you choose to join us again on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 12 February 2016 via mobile

Had previously stayed here. This visit was disappointing. Bed was not comfortable but by far the big deal was misinforming us as to occupancy status when we asked to extend our stay one day. Was informed they were booked up so we packed up and moved down the block to Nordic lodge (excellent experience). Noted the following day they advertised vacancy. I inquired and was informed they indeed had vacancy. Staff error caused us a major hassle that cut into our ski time. No more rabbit ears motel in the future. Nordic lodge discovery us our new go to place in steamboat.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple

Dave, I know this wasn't your first stay with us, and certainly we don't want it to be the last. When you book through a third party vendor, we don't always have complete control as to rate and room availability. Please contact me directly next time you are coming to town and I will personally ensure you receive the best rate and information right away.
greg@rabbitearsmotel.com