“Nice Motel”
Review of Rabbit Ears Motel

Rabbit Ears Motel
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Steamboat Springs
Reviewed 7 March 2016

The Rabbit Ears Motel is undoubtedly a motel. Your room will open to the outdoors. If you have come to Steamboat at a busy time of the year, you will likely be paying 80-100 dollars to stay in a motel. This may seem a bit pricey, but a 10 minute drive from parking at the ski resort will merit that kind of price.

And if you have to stay in a motel, the Rabbit Ears is certainly the way to go. Rooms were clean, if not spacious, with coffee maker, fridge and microwave. Bathrooms were modern with nice shampoo and conditioner provided. Breakfast is included, with options including bagels, toast, hard boiled eggs and some yogurt. By no means fancy, but by all means adequate for fueling up for a long day of skiing.

The sign for the hotel is large, neon and makes for a nice photo opportunity, with the added benefit of increasing the likelihood of locating the hotel. Staff is friendly and helpful. It is an easy walk to town for dining and entertainment, so long as the temperature doesn’t dip too much below 0!

If staying at the Rabbit Ears be sure to go across the street to the Old Town Hot Springs across the road. You can buy discounted tickets at the Rabbit Ears front desk, and a nice soak in the hot spring water is truly wonderful after a long day on the slopes.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
gregkoe, Owner at Rabbit Ears Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2016

Lauren, thanks for this informative and thorough review~ we really appreciate you taking the time to share feedback. We are so glad you enjoyed our location and property. We hope you'll think of us on your next visit to Steamboat! Have a great day.

Reviewed 23 February 2016

I wanted to fall in love in love with this place after reading so many glowing reviews, but it wasn't as quaint as I had imagined.

First of all, the bathroom is newly renovated and there's a flat screen TV, but the brown bed comforter is circa 1980, as is the carpeting. The comforter desperately needs to be replaced every 6 months, and the carpeting should be changed to tiles that doesn't retain dirt from every occupant. When I glanced into the laundry a few times when taking the public hallway to my room, I saw the cleaning woman only washing white towels....I have doubts the comforter and fleece blankets on the beds are washed between occupants.

FYI, if you decide to leave the bathroom light on as a night light, it's connected to the fan to vent the shower and you will find in winter that it lowers the room temperature dramatically since it pulls cold air into the room from the high suction.The walls are thin, so I could always hear 1-2 TVs in various directions as well as a few muted dogs barking. I went to the complimentary breakfast once, but was disappointed to see oodles of styrofoam and disposable cutlery/plates/bowls being used. Styrofoam has been banned from many states since its so toxic, so I was surprised it was allowed in Colorado. I encourage the owners to consider more environmentally friendly options and just increase the daily rate a few dollars to cover the cost of the great products. You can buy eco plates/cutlery in bulk from sources online like "Biomasspackagingstore" that supplies eco-minded restaurants and hospitality businesses across the US.

The organic grocery store called Natural Grocers is literally within view of the Rabbit Ears (1 block away). You can buy lots of amazing food to keep in the small frig. or to take to the slopes each day. I keep trying to add the Natural Grocers here on Trip Advisor and they won't acknowledge it exists. I made my own organic coffee and had a more gourmet breakfast in my room each day than what was provided by the motel.

Lastly, on the day I checked out, the cleaning woman knocked loudly around 9 am, and then came again knocking 15 minutes before the check-out time. This really annoyed me because the motel is huge and I felt as if I was being 'rushed' to check out. I noticed that day that a lot of rooms had their 'do not disturb' signs hanging on their doors, so I assume I should have just put that out to avoid the whole situation.

The good things about this motel are the price, location, and proximity to the hot springs across the street. The bus stop to the resort is about 100 ft. from the front door and comes every 15 minutes pretty much.

All in all, I would use this motel again, but I hope they make the upgrades I mentioned.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Relax M
gregkoe, Owner at Rabbit Ears Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay. While we hope to always have every experience be perfect, we realize everyone is different and notices different things. I take a lot of pride in our property and appreciate all feedback.

Thanks for noticing the new bathrooms! Actually, the comforters are only 3 months old. They are new microfiber material. The carpeting in just a year old. We absolutely wash the comforters and blankets after each guest's stay. We have traditional stuck to earth tones to keep it simple, but cleanliness is always the priority.

I too enjoy organic healthy choices and care about environmentally friendly options versus styrofoam. Actually, I recently learned that there is an eco friendly version of styrofoam and immediately switched to that. This solution, while perhaps not ideal, is much more eco friendly than styrofoam used to be. That being said, our breakfast is just one option, we do keep the refrigerator, etc. in the room for guests who do prefer to provide their own breakfast foods.

Thanks again for the honest feedback and kind comments about the elements of your stay that were perfect for you. We do hope that you choose to join us again on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 12 February 2016 via mobile

Had previously stayed here. This visit was disappointing. Bed was not comfortable but by far the big deal was misinforming us as to occupancy status when we asked to extend our stay one day. Was informed they were booked up so we packed up and moved down the block to Nordic lodge (excellent experience). Noted the following day they advertised vacancy. I inquired and was informed they indeed had vacancy. Staff error caused us a major hassle that cut into our ski time. No more rabbit ears motel in the future. Nordic lodge discovery us our new go to place in steamboat.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple

Dave, I know this wasn't your first stay with us, and certainly we don't want it to be the last. When you book through a third party vendor, we don't always have complete control as to rate and room availability. Please contact me directly next time you are coming to town and I will personally ensure you receive the best rate and information right away.
greg@rabbitearsmotel.com

Reviewed 9 February 2016 via mobile

I love Steamboat Springs, Co. for many reasons. First and foremost is the fact that both my children live within 30 minutes of Steamboat downtown. Why stay at the Rabbit if my kids are in town you ask? Private space for my husband and I. We love to spend as much time as possible with the kids, but staying with either of them is hard to do when they have limited or no room in their homes for guests. This was my sixth stay at Rabbit Ears Motel, located on Lincoln Street in the heart of Steamboat. I have grown to appreciate the location more and more each time. A easy walk thru town on Lincoln Street brings me to great shopping, resturants, bars, galleries and entertainment. One street over from Lincoln is Yampa, more restaurants, shopping, entertainment and the bike path that runs along the Yampa River. Ride from the Rabbit to the beautiful library or to the mountain. There are many bike rental shops. Rent one with a basket. You may not need a car! Across the street from the Rabbit you will find Old Town Hot Springs. The Rabbit Ears Motel offer discount tickets to Old Town and the gals at the Motel desk will also provide you with towels. After a day of skiing, the hot springs are fabulous to soak in. You can sit in a corner by yourself, or join the conversation with fellow tourists from all over the world, and with locals, who will share must "visit or experience" in Steamboat stories. Can't beat sitting in the hot springs while sticking your tongue out to catch snowflakes. Bring a large bottle of water and soak away. Old Town also houses large gym with machines, free weights, all sorts of classes AND for those with young children, swimming pools heated by the springs and a twisty slide from the third floor of the building into one of the many pools. There is also a seperate Olympic size lap pool. Bring quarters for lockers, and money for the snack bar. Just a few yards from the Rabbit is a bus stop...the buses are FREE, run every 10 minutes until 8p and then less frequently until 3am. And they are amazingly on time!!! So convenient. Movies, mountain, more dinning, shopping or sites to see, load your skis or bike on the bus racks and just go. A few steps past the bus stop (3 minute walk from the Rabbit) is Natural Grocer. I stock the fridge in my room with treats and drinks. Bring a cloth bag or two to carry groceries. No plastic bags at Natural Grocer. I use the microwave in the room to heat water and left overs from dinners out, or kid cooked meals. The room decor is simple, "rustic", brown...could use updating...but the matresses are new and comfortable, plenty of pillows, towels and blankets. The room is very clean. The same cleaning ladies have worked there for as long as I have been visiting. It's a functional room, with large open closet space...skis, boots, poles and other sport toys fit well. Second floor rooms have balconies. Small, clean bathroom..sometimes I wish I had a full kitchen, but for the PRICE and LOCATION, I can't complain. Between the awesome restaurants within walking distance and my kids cooking, I'll take the Rabbit over any place in town. Continental breakfast comes with the price of the room, hard boiled eggs, waffles, bagels, muffins, oranges, cereals, and coffee, tea, hot chocolate. The ladies at the desk are so helpful and happy to share Steamboat lore and information with you. So, until one of my kids buys or rents a house with a guest room in Steamboat, look for me at the Rabbit. Oh, and gotta love their neon sign. Classic!

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Nina S

Alright! What a great review, not only for us, but the town. We are so happy to be a part of your special escape! Can't wait to have you as our guests again on your next visit.

Reviewed 8 February 2016

The people could not have been nicer. Great location......rooms were small but very clean and comfortable. You do not need a car in this town because everything is convienent. I would come back to Rabbit Ears

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo

Woohoo! Thanks, see you next visit!