“A Friendly, Clean, and Affordable Place to Stay in Rifle”
Review of Gateway Lodge

Gateway Lodge
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Rifle
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I have traveled through Colorado for the past five summers. I have stayed in multiple big chain motels and hotels not worth writing about. However, I do have to mention Gateway Lodge because of the great and friendly service provided by the owners Anna and Marcin. I feel bad because I should have left this review 5 years ago, but better late than never. When I first stopped by there 5 years ago, I found the rooms to be very clean and updated. Over the years, I have only seen improvements. It used to be called the Winchester Motel, but the new name and the improvements are even a greater positive. From the outside the motel does not look like the most glamorous place you could stay at, as it is an older building. However, the rooms (what really is important) are as nice and clean as at many much more expensive places. I am attaching couple of pictures of the room I stayed at most recently. The room was big and clean. You can smell the freshly laundered sheets. The continental breakfast has a great selection of bagels, muffins, cookies, fresh fruit, cereals,and juices. The owners are extremely friendly and accommodating. One time I had hard time connecting to the free wireless due to my crappy tablet, and they suggested moving me to a new room at no extra charge just to make sure I was happy. You do not get such a service at the chain hotels. I was very impressed that coming back the second year, the owners remembered me by name and even gave me the same room. Since then, they always make sure I am happy with my accommodations, but speaking with other guests, even the first timers, they get the same feeling. The motel is past few chain motels, but it is worth driving the five minutes extra. It is closer to the historical downtown area where you will find many great restaurants (see my reviews for the restaurants I dined at, including now famous Shooters). There is also a nice farmer's market (on specific days), a movie theater, and a park where on some days there are free concerts.
With our economy the way it is, I strongly believe it is important to stay and support the local businesses which without our support would not exist. So in conclusion, if you want to have a great service and a clean room at a great price, please stay there. If you do stay there and do not agree with my assessment, feel free to let me know, since I would be very surprised.

Room Tip: The owners will always make sure you stay at the best available room. I have been to three different...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Krowka
kurczaczeksz, General Manager at Gateway Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

We are so grateful for your kind review! It means so much to us and to have your return and support our business year after year. We look forward to see you soon!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

I called the Gateway Lodge directly to make my reservation and spoke with a woman who is one of the owners (a young couple own and manage the hotel) and was pleasantly surprised by her friendliness and knowledge of the area. This is an older facility which has been updated and improved significantly since the new owners took over. It is the only hotel in Rifle which is in the very quaint and historical downtown area, which is very freeway convenient...all the others are down by the freeway. There are markets, restaurants, banks, and all amenities within a short block or two. The furnishings in the rooms are NOT budget quality...nice comfortable chairs, quality tables, new or very clean carpet. Towels are Hampton Inn quality, not Motel 6. Everything is clean and well maintained. They offer a basic breakfast...cereal and milk, yogurt, fruit, etc...in a small breakfast room off the lobby. The owners are very helpful and are totally committed to making sure you are a happy guest. Very highly recommended.

Room Tip: Be sure to walk around the very quaint and historic downtown area.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
kurczaczeksz, General Manager at Gateway Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Your review have left both us speechless!!! THANK YOU is not enough to describe our gratitude for your kindness and wonderful comments. We are so happy that you gave us a chance and that you have enjoyed your stay. It was so nice to meet your furry best friend Joey! :-D Kaja our Labrador fell in love with him deeply and misses him! Can you believe that she is still waiting for him in the hallway every-time on our way outside?

We are very glad that you have pointed out that we are under New Management (since 2012) and bad reviews that are still attached to this page don't "belong" to us. We have and still are working hard to make sure that our customers are satisfied with their stay.
We are not perfect but trying our best and our customers are our friends for life.

Thank you!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Revamped, repainted, refurnished with new management (which is what pulled me in). Very friendly, helpful staff/management. I liked staying in the middle of town within walking distance of all the mom-and-pop shopping and restaurants. I was concerned about the noise level on the main drag, Railroad Ave, but I slept with both windows open on a Saturday night without a problem. Eerily and unexpectedly quiet. I would have given it a 5 for a very pleasant stay but the shower control in my room was a bit cantankerous and it took me several minutes to fine tune the water temp. Next time I stay in Rifle, I will be back.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Sherry B

Dear Sherry,

Thank you very much for such kind review. It was our pleasure to have you stay here with us and we truly look forward to your stay again in the future! :-)

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Since I travel to Rifle every weekend, I thought to stay overnight once for a change. I found this little gem through booking.com. I chose it for location and price. Though I had to wait what seemed like a long time (10 minutes) before someone finally responded to the buzzer, the front desk person was friendly and upgraded me to a king room for free. The room was unexpectedly nice for an old motel in a little town; newer furniture, paint, linens. I liked that there was a refrigerator and microwave in the room. I was so comfortable that I'm considering staying overnight every weekend!

Room Tip: Ask for a ground level room in the back. That way you can park right in front of your room and not h...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank shannonblogs
kurczaczeksz, General Manager at Gateway Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear Shannon.
Thank you for your honest review. It's our pleasure to have you stay with us. We apologize for the wait at the desk and any inconvenience that it may have caused. Don't be afraid of that bell. Press it firmly :-) We look forward to your future stay with us! We've also noticed your reviews on other sites and we couldn't help but notice that you had some issues with the sink? We are here to help and make sure that your stay here is comfortable. If there's anything you need or help with do not hesitate to let us know right away. We have learned from our guests that often times they don't let the front desk know about their needs because they don't want to "bother" us. Once again we are here to assist you :-)

Reviewed 20 October 2013

very clean good beds, and nice service good value when traveling thru ot to Rifle CO. Clean and comfroatable good value. Freindly owners that will help you in any way they can, CLEAN, AND COMFY. and GOOD VALUE, perfect when passing thur or staying for some of the great outdoor activites the area offers, or traveling for work.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
kurczaczeksz, General Manager at Gateway Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Olga,

Thank you very much for you review.
We appreciate your opinion and look forward to your stay with us in the future!