See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I called the Gateway Lodge directly to make my reservation and spoke with a woman who is one of the owners (a young couple own and manage the hotel) and was pleasantly surprised by her friendliness and knowledge of the area. This is an older facility which has been updated and improved significantly since the new owners took over. It is the only hotel in Rifle which is in the very quaint and historical downtown area, which is very freeway convenient...all the others are down by the freeway. There are markets, restaurants, banks, and all amenities within a short block or two. The furnishings in the rooms are NOT budget quality...nice comfortable chairs, quality tables, new or very clean carpet. Towels are Hampton Inn quality, not Motel 6. Everything is clean and well maintained. They offer a basic breakfast...cereal and milk, yogurt, fruit, etc...in a small breakfast room off the lobby. The owners are very helpful and are totally committed to making sure you are a happy guest. Very highly recommended.

Room Tip: Be sure to walk around the very quaint and historic downtown area.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
kurczaczeksz, General Manager at Gateway Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Your review have left both us speechless!!! THANK YOU is not enough to describe our gratitude for your kindness and wonderful comments. We are so happy that you gave us a chance and that you have enjoyed your stay. It was so nice to meet your furry best friend Joey! :-D Kaja our Labrador fell in love with him deeply and misses him! Can you believe that she is still waiting for him in the hallway every-time on our way outside?

We are very glad that you have pointed out that we are under New Management (since 2012) and bad reviews that are still attached to this page don't "belong" to us. We have and still are working hard to make sure that our customers are satisfied with their stay.
We are not perfect but trying our best and our customers are our friends for life.

Thank you!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Revamped, repainted, refurnished with new management (which is what pulled me in). Very friendly, helpful staff/management. I liked staying in the middle of town within walking distance of all the mom-and-pop shopping and restaurants. I was concerned about the noise level on the main drag, Railroad Ave, but I slept with both windows open on a Saturday night without a problem. Eerily and unexpectedly quiet. I would have given it a 5 for a very pleasant stay but the shower control in my room was a bit cantankerous and it took me several minutes to fine tune the water temp. Next time I stay in Rifle, I will be back.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Sherrybization B

Dear Sherry,

Thank you very much for such kind review. It was our pleasure to have you stay here with us and we truly look forward to your stay again in the future! :-)

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Since I travel to Rifle every weekend, I thought to stay overnight once for a change. I found this little gem through booking.com. I chose it for location and price. Though I had to wait what seemed like a long time (10 minutes) before someone finally responded to the buzzer, the front desk person was friendly and upgraded me to a king room for free. The room was unexpectedly nice for an old motel in a little town; newer furniture, paint, linens. I liked that there was a refrigerator and microwave in the room. I was so comfortable that I'm considering staying overnight every weekend!

Room Tip: Ask for a ground level room in the back. That way you can park right in front of your room and not have to carry luggage up stairs and it will be quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank shannonblogs
kurczaczeksz, General Manager at Gateway Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear Shannon.
Thank you for your honest review. It's our pleasure to have you stay with us. We apologize for the wait at the desk and any inconvenience that it may have caused. Don't be afraid of that bell. Press it firmly :-) We look forward to your future stay with us! We've also noticed your reviews on other sites and we couldn't help but notice that you had some issues with the sink? We are here to help and make sure that your stay here is comfortable. If there's anything you need or help with do not hesitate to let us know right away. We have learned from our guests that often times they don't let the front desk know about their needs because they don't want to "bother" us. Once again we are here to assist you :-)

Reviewed 20 October 2013

very clean good beds, and nice service good value when traveling thru ot to Rifle CO. Clean and comfroatable good value. Freindly owners that will help you in any way they can, CLEAN, AND COMFY. and GOOD VALUE, perfect when passing thur or staying for some of the great outdoor activites the area offers, or traveling for work.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
kurczaczeksz, General Manager at Gateway Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Olga,

Thank you very much for you review.
We appreciate your opinion and look forward to your stay with us in the future!

Reviewed 25 September 2013

The four of us were on a trip through Colorado and Utah and needed a place to stay in that part of Colorado for the night. We searched on the internet and on Trip Advisor and decided that the Winchester looked to be the place for us. It turned out to be exactly what we wanted. It was very clean, affordable, and central in Rifle. But the best thing about the Winchester was the owners. Both were so friendly and talkative. They were the best hosts we had during our road trip.The motel is not brand new but is the clean mom and pop independent kind of place we like to stay at.
In the midst of our trip we were afraid we might have to cancel because of the flooding that hit the front range area of Colorado. We phoned and found the owner so amenable to what we needed to do but we decided to keep our reservation and were so glad we did.
Some posters stated that the breakfast was not so good. We strongly disagree. For mom and pop kind of places the breakfast was outstanding. There was lots of choice in the breakfast room and it was very good. When it comes to continental breakfasts this was great! I think I remember that it lacked juice but there were apples and bananas among the choices.
The motel was just a very short walk to the downtown street where you can find shops and restaurants in this very cute town that is not a highly touristy town.
We give the Winchester a strong recommendation!

Room Tip: There is a small number of rooms away from a main street that might be a bit quieter in addition to the main area near the office.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank unclelouie
kurczaczeksz, General Manager at Gateway Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Dear Uncle Louie. We couldn't be more grateful for your wonderful review and such kind words. It was a true pleasure to have you stay with us and chat and we're so glad you made it here despite all the issues with flooding...We hope everything is going to work out for the best and we're sending our best wishes to you and your family. Thank you very much!